J M Bennett
Affiliation: University of Rochester
- The FAB/MIC/WHO proposals for the classification of the chronic lymphoid leukemiasJohn M Bennett
University of Rochester Medical Center, James P Wilmot Cancer Center, NY 14642, USA
Rev Clin Exp Hematol 6:330-4. 2002
- A comparative review of classification systems in myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS)John M Bennett
James P Wilmot Cancer Center, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Semin Oncol 32:S3-10. 2005..As more is learned about the pathogenesis of MDS at the molecular level, it is anticipated that these classification and scoring systems will continue to evolve to incorporate the new information...
- Consensus statement on iron overload in myelodysplastic syndromesJohn M Bennett
The Myelodysplastic Syndromes Foundation, Crosswicks, New Jersey, USA
Am J Hematol 83:858-61. 2008..Haematologica 2002;87:1286-1306; NCCN practice guidelines: Myelodysplastic Syndromes, version 2.2008)...
- Assessment of treatment-related myelodysplastic syndromes and acute myeloid leukemia in patients with non-Hodgkin lymphoma treated with tositumomab and iodine I131 tositumomabJohn M Bennett
James P Wilmot Cancer Center, University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Blood 105:4576-82. 2005..With a median follow-up approaching 5 years, no case of tMDS/tAML has been reported in any of the 76 patients receiving iodine I(131) tositumomab as their initial therapy (P = .011 compared with previously treated patients)...
- Chronic myelomonocytic leukemiaJohn M Bennett
University of Rochester Medical Center, James P Wilmot Cancer Center, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, NY, 14642, USA
Curr Treat Options Oncol 3:221-3. 2002..Clinical trials should be considered if available because the overall results of therapeutic interventions are far from optimal...
- Diagnostic criteria to distinguish hypocellular acute myeloid leukemia from hypocellular myelodysplastic syndromes and aplastic anemia: recommendations for a standardized approachJohn M Bennett
James P Wilmot Cancer Center, University of Rochester Medical Center, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Haematologica 94:264-8. 2009..Guidelines were recommended based on the workshop results as well as additional studies including selective immunohistochemistry, flow cytometry and cytogenetics...
- Phase II study of combination human recombinant GM-CSF with intermediate-dose cytarabine and mitoxantrone chemotherapy in patients with high-risk myelodysplastic syndromes (RAEB, RAEBT, and CMML): an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group StudyJ M Bennett
University of Rochester Cancer Center, New York 14642, USA
Am J Hematol 66:23-7. 2001..55x at 48 hr. Unexpected hepatotoxicity was noted. This regimen cannot be recommended for this elderly population of patients...
- The myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative disorders: the interfaceJohn M Bennett
Department of Medicine, Pathology, and Laboratory Medicine, University of Rochester Medical Center, The James P Wilmot Cancer Center, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Box 704, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 17:1095-100, v. 2003..For practical purposes and therapeutic considerations, chronic myelomonocytic leukemia is viewed now as a composite disorder along with atypical chronic myeloid leukemia and juvenile myelomonocytic leukemia...
- The myelodysplastic syndromes: diagnosis, molecular biology and risk assessmentJohn M Bennett
Department of Medicine and the James P Wilmot Cancer Center, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Hematology 10:258-69. 2005....
- Aging, cancer, and anemia: intertwined and resolvableJohn M Bennett
James P Wilmot Cancer Center, University of Rochester Medical Center, New York, USA
J Support Oncol 5:116-7. 2007
- Therapy-related myelodysplastic syndrome and acute myeloid leukemia following initial treatment with chemotherapy plus radioimmunotherapy for indolent non-Hodgkin lymphomaGail J Roboz
Division of Hematology Oncology, Leukemia Program, Center for Lymphoma and Myeloma, Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY 10021, USA
Leuk Res 31:1141-4. 2007..Our findings suggest that the potential risk of these important complications must be considered in the development of this novel therapeutic strategy in the first-line setting...
- The third International Congress on Myeloproliferative and Myelodysplastic SyndromesR T Silver
Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1300 York Ave Box 581, New York, NY 10021 4896, USA
Leuk Res 31:11-7. 2007..He reviewed the molecular steps in the formation of the Philadelphia chromosome and some of the newly described mutations leading to resistance to chemotherapy (see Section 4)...
- Donor cell myelodysplastic syndrome after allogeneic stem cell transplantation responding to donor lymphocyte infusion: case report and literature reviewRami Komrokji
Department of Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry and James P Wilmot Cancer Center, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Am J Hematol 76:389-94. 2004..In this report, we describe the details of our case and discuss putative mechanisms underlying the genesis of donor cell MDS and the observed response to DLI...
- Final report of the efficacy and safety of gemtuzumab ozogamicin (Mylotarg) in patients with CD33-positive acute myeloid leukemia in first recurrenceRichard A Larson
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Cancer 104:1442-52. 2005..In this study, the authors analyzed the efficacy and safety of gemtuzumab ozogamicin (GO) (Mylotarg), an antibody-targeted chemotherapy for CD33-positive acute myeloid leukemia (AML)...
- Burkitt's leukemia with precursor B-cell immunophenotype and atypical morphology (atypical Burkitt's leukemia/lymphoma): case report and review of literatureRami Komrokji
Department of Medicine, School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Rochester, Box 704, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Leuk Res 27:561-6. 2003..This case recognizes this subset in adult ALL and emphasizes the need for comprehensive diagnostic analysis...
- Antibody-targeted chemotherapy of older patients with acute myeloid leukemia in first relapse using Mylotarg (gemtuzumab ozogamicin)R A Larson
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637 1470, USA
Leukemia 16:1627-36. 2002..Mylotarg is an effective treatment for older patients with CD33-positive AML in first relapse and has acceptable toxicity...
- Phase I study of fludarabine plus cyclophosphamide in patients with previously untreated low-grade lymphoma: results and and long-term follow-up--a report from the Eastern Cooperative Oncology GroupH S Hochster
New York University, New York, NY, USA
J Clin Oncol 18:987-94. 2000..To determine the toxicity and recommended phase II doses of the combination of fludarabine plus cyclophosphamide in chemotherapy-naive patients with low-grade lymphoma...
- Failure of three novel regimens to improve outcome for patients with relapsed or refractory acute myeloid leukaemia: a report from the Eastern Cooperative Oncology GroupMark R Litzow
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Br J Haematol 148:217-25. 2010..We conclude that none of these three regimens were effective enough in the treatment of high-risk relapsed or refractory AML to warrant further study. This trial was registered at http://www.clinicaltrials.gov as #NCT00005962...
- The myelodysplastic syndromes: diagnosis and treatmentDavid P Steensma
Division of Hematology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 81:104-30. 2006....
- The second international congress on myeloproliferative and myelodysplastic syndromesR T Silver
Weill Cornell Medical Center, 1300 York Ave Box 34, New York, NY 10021 4896, USA
Leuk Res 28:979-85. 2004....
- Assessment of the stanford V regimen and consolidative radiotherapy for bulky and advanced Hodgkin's disease: Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group pilot study E1492S J Horning
Department of Medicine, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, CA, USA
J Clin Oncol 18:972-80. 2000..This study was performed, in a multi-institutional setting, to evaluate the efficacy and feasibility of the Stanford V chemotherapy regimen plus radiotherapy to bulky Hodgkin's disease sites...
- Phase II study of all-trans retinoic acid in the accelerated phase or early blastic phase of chronic myeloid leukemia: a study of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (E1993)Janice P Dutcher
Albert Einstein College NY, Bronx, NY, USA
Leuk Lymphoma 46:377-85. 2005..Combination therapy with other differentiating agents may be useful in this disease...
- Trilineage extramedullary myeloid cell tumor in myelodysplastic syndromeJ C Hancock
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham 35233, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 121:520-3. 1997....
- Nonspecific esterase of acute promyelocytic leukemia (M3)T Matsuo
Division of Medical Oncology, University of Rochester Cancer Center, New York 14642
Am J Hematol 29:148-51. 1988..Our study has confirmed the cytochemical heterogeneity of M3 with no obvious relationship between this heterogeneity and early therapeutic outcome...
- A 2-year-old with atypical CML with a t(5;12)(q33;p13) treated successfully with imatinib mesylateBrenda Wittman
Department of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Golisano Children s Hospital at Strong, University of Rochester Medial Center, Box 777, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Leuk Res 28:S65-9. 2004..This case illustrates one of many myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative disorders that can be treated with this particular tyrosine kinase inhibitor...
- A phase II trial of arsenic trioxide for relapsed and refractory acute lymphoblastic leukemiaMark R Litzow
Division of Hematology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First St S W, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Haematologica 91:1105-8. 2006..One patient died of an infection. There were no responses. Ten patients have died. The median survival was 3.2 months (range 1.2-4.1). We conclude that AT is not active in the treatment of ALL...
- Evolving classifications of the myelodysplastic syndromesRami S Komrokji
Department of Medicine, University of Cincinnati and Veterans, Administration Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Curr Opin Hematol 14:98-105. 2007..The proposed classifications attempt to create more homogenous subtypes of myelodysplastic syndrome, to better predict the prognosis and outcome...
- The myelodysplastic syndromes: classification and prognosisRami Komrokji
Box 704, James P Wilmot Cancer Center, Strong Memorial Hospital, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Curr Hematol Rep 2:179-85. 2003..This paper discusses the classification and prognosis of myelodysplastic syndromes and their evolution...
- Phase II study of alpha2 interferon in the treatment of the chronic myeloproliferative disorders (E5487): a trial of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology GroupArthur I Radin
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, Cornell University Medical School, New York, New York, USA
Cancer 98:100-9. 2003....
- The myelodysplastic syndromes: morphology, risk assessment, and clinical management (2002)John M Bennett
James P Wilmot Cancer Center, Rochester, NY, USA
Int J Hematol 76:228-38. 2002....
- The clinical implications of the World Health Organization's classification of myelodysplastic syndromesRami S Komrokji
James P Wilmot Cancer Center, Strong Memorial Hospital, University of Rochester, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Box 704, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Curr Hematol Rep 4:175-81. 2005....
- Common troublesome symptoms and their impact on quality of life in patients with myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS): results of a large internet-based surveyDavid P Steensma
Division of Hematology, Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, United States
Leuk Res 32:691-8. 2008..Within the limitations of self-reported data, these results provide a benchmark for future interventions to improve QOL in patients with MDS...
- Proposal for a new risk model in myelodysplastic syndrome that accounts for events not considered in the original International Prognostic Scoring SystemHagop Kantarjian
Department of Leukemia, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 113:1351-61. 2008....
- Intensified induction chemotherapy in adult acute myeloid leukemia followed by high-dose chemotherapy and autologous peripheral blood stem cell transplantation: an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group trial (E4995)Peter A Cassileth
University of Miami Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Leuk Lymphoma 46:55-61. 2005..Nevertheless, intensive post-remission therapy was well tolerated, no treatment-related mortality occurred with autologous PBSCT, and disease-free survival and overall survival were lengthy...
- Phase 2 study of lenalidomide in transfusion-dependent, low-risk, and intermediate-1 risk myelodysplastic syndromes with karyotypes other than deletion 5qAzra Raza
Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
Blood 111:86-93. 2008..Lenalidomide has clinically meaningful activity in transfusion-dependent patients with low- or int-1-risk MDS who lack the deletion 5q karyotypic abnormality...
- Idiopathic cytopenia of undetermined significance (ICUS) versus low risk MDS: the diagnostic interfaceFriedrich Wimazal
Department of Internal Medicine I, Division of Hematology and Hemostaseology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Leuk Res 31:1461-8. 2007..The phrase "idiopathic cytopenia of undetermined significance (ICUS)", as also suggested by Mufti and co-workers, is proposed and long term follow-up is recommended to assess the evolution...
- Treatment-related myelodysplasia and acute leukemia in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma patientsJames O Armitage
University of Nebraska College of Medicine, Omaha, NE 68198 3332, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:897-906. 2003..However, there is considerable debate over the incidence or risk of tMDS/AML in NHL patients treated with any particular modality and the factors that contribute to malignant transformation...
- Morphologic dysplasia in acute myeloid leukemia: importance of granulocytic dysplasiaJohn M Bennett
J Clin Oncol 21:3004; author reply 3004-5. 2003
- Comparison of interphase FISH and metaphase cytogenetics to study myelodysplastic syndrome: an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) studyAthena M Cherry
Department of Pathology, Stanford Hospital and Clinics, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Leuk Res 27:1085-90. 2003..In addition, it appears that interphase FISH studies are nearly as sensitive as cytogenetic analyses and can be a useful tool in studying bone marrow aspirates where cytogenetic analysis is not possible...
- Myelodysplastic syndromes clinical practice guidelines in oncologyPeter L Greenberg
Stanford Hospital and Clinics, Stanford, CA, USA
J Natl Compr Canc Netw 4:58-77. 2006
- Decitabine improves patient outcomes in myelodysplastic syndromes: results of a phase III randomized studyHagop Kantarjian
Department of Leukemia, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 106:1794-803. 2006..Decitabine indirectly depletes methylcytosine and causes hypomethylation of target gene promoters...
- Acute monocytic leukemia (French-American-British classification M5) does not have a worse prognosis than other subtypes of acute myeloid leukemia: a report from the Eastern Cooperative Oncology GroupMartin S Tallman
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Robert H Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Clin Oncol 22:1276-86. 2004..This study was designed to compare the outcome of patients with M5 to that of other subtypes of AML, and to identify differences in M5a and M5b...
- Myelodysplastic syndromes: from French-American-British to World Health Organization: a commentaryJohn M Bennett
Blood 99:3074-5. 2002
- Diagnosis and classification of myelodysplastic syndrome: International Working Group on Morphology of myelodysplastic syndrome (IWGM-MDS) consensus proposals for the definition and enumeration of myeloblasts and ring sideroblastsGhulam J Mufti
Department of Haematology, King s College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London, SE5 9RS United Kingdom
Haematologica 93:1712-7. 2008..Recommendations should be applied in the context of the WHO classification...
- A brief commentary on "Refractory anemia with ring sideroblasts associated with i(17q) and mutation of the TP53 gene"John M Bennett
Cancer Genet Cytogenet 141:177. 2003
- Mitoxantrone, etoposide, and cytarabine with or without valspodar in patients with relapsed or refractory acute myeloid leukemia and high-risk myelodysplastic syndrome: a phase III trial (E2995)Peter L Greenberg
Hematology Division, Stanford University Medical Center, 703 Welch Rd, Suite G 1, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
J Clin Oncol 22:1078-86. 2004....
- Epidemiology, classification and prognosis of adults and children with myelodysplastic syndromesUlrich Germing
Department of Hematology, Oncology and Clinical Immunology, Heinrich Heine University, Moorenstr 5, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Ann Hematol 87:691-9. 2008..The dysplastic prodrome of acute myeloid leukemia in Down syndrome is classified within myeloid leukemia in Down syndrome and excluded from the population-based studies of MDS...
- Revised recommendations of the International Working Group for Diagnosis, Standardization of Response Criteria, Treatment Outcomes, and Reporting Standards for Therapeutic Trials in Acute Myeloid LeukemiaBruce D Cheson
Department of Hematology Oncology, Georgetown University, Lombardi Cancer Center, 3800 Reservoir Rd, NW, Washington, DC 20007, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:4642-9. 2003..Storage of viable blasts for correlative studies is important for future progress in the therapy of these disorders...
- A randomized trial of induction therapy (daunorubicin, vincristine, prednisone versus daunorubicin, vincristine, prednisone, cytarabine and 6-thioguanine) in adult acute lymphoblastic leukemia with long-term follow-up: an Eastern Cooperative Oncology GrouPeter H Wiernik
OLM Cancer Center New York Medical College, 600 East 233rd Street, Bronx, NY 10466, USA
Leuk Lymphoma 44:1515-21. 2003..4 months in each group. DATVP was more toxic than DVP. Intensification of treatment for adults with ALL may not improve outcome. Progress in the treatment of adults with ALL will require the identification of new agents for this neoplasm...
- Chronic myelomonocytic leukemia in the light of the WHO proposalsUlrich Germing
Department of Hematology, Oncology and Clinical Immunology, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Haematologica 92:974-7. 2007..No conclusive differences in clinical, morphologic, hematologic or cytogenetic parameters were found. These data support the WHO proposals for the classifi-cation of CMML...
- Comment on flow-cytometric analysis of neutrophilsJohn M Bennett
Am J Hematol 81:155. 2006
- Clinical application and proposal for modification of the International Working Group (IWG) response criteria in myelodysplasiaBruce D Cheson
Department of Hematology Oncology, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC, USA
Blood 108:419-25. 2006..Because limitations of the IWG criteria have surfaced, based on practical and reported experience, some modifications were warranted. In this report, we present recommendations for revisions of some of the initial criteria...
- Diagnosis and treatment of systemic mastocytosis: state of the artPeter Valent
Department of Internal Medicine I, Division of Haematology, University of Vienna, Austria
Br J Haematol 122:695-717. 2003
- A phase 3 study of three induction regimens and of priming with GM-CSF in older adults with acute myeloid leukemia: a trial by the Eastern Cooperative Oncology GroupJacob M Rowe
Department of Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation, Rambam Medical Center and Technion, Haifa 31096 Israel
Blood 103:479-85. 2004..Priming with hematopoietic growth factor did not improve response when compared with placebo. Furthermore, delaying induction therapy in older adults may lead to a lower complete remission rate...
- Definitions and standards in the diagnosis and treatment of the myelodysplastic syndromes: Consensus statements and report from a working conferencePeter Valent
Department of Internal Medicine I, Division of Hematology and Hemostaseology, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Leuk Res 31:727-36. 2007..Respective algorithms and recommendations should facilitate diagnostic and prognostic evaluations in MDS, selection of patients for therapies, and the conduct of clinical trials...