Affiliation: University of Iowa
- Characterization of the decision-making deficit of patients with ventromedial prefrontal cortex lesionsA Bechara
Department of Neurology, Division of Behavioral Neurology and Cognitive Neuroscience, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Brain 123:2189-202. 2000..This 'myopia for the future' in VM lesion patients persists in the face of severe adverse consequences, i.e. rising future punishment or declining future reward...
- Poor decision making among older adults is related to elevated levels of neuroticismN L Denburg
Department of Neurology, Division of Behavioral Neurology and Cognitive Neuroscience, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA, USA
Ann Behav Med 37:164-72. 2009..The IGT possesses many features important to medical decision making, such as weighing risks and benefits, dealing with unknown outcomes, and making decisions under uncertainty...
- The Iowa Gambling Task and the somatic marker hypothesis: some questions and answersA Bechara
Department of Neurology Division of Cognitive Neuroscience, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa, USA
Trends Cogn Sci 9:159-62; discussion 162-4. 2005..The authors use their results to question the evidence for the somatic marker hypothesis. Here we consider whether the authors' conclusions are justified...
- Subcortical and cortical brain activity during the feeling of self-generated emotionsA R Damasio
Department of Neurology Division of Cognitive Neuroscience and PET Imaging Center, University of Iowa College of Medicine, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Nat Neurosci 3:1049-56. 2000..The findings also lend support to the idea that the subjective process of feeling emotions is partly grounded in dynamic neural maps, which represent several aspects of the organism's continuously changing internal state...
- Neurobiology of decision-making: risk and rewardA Bechara
Department of Neurology, College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Semin Clin Neuropsychiatry 6:205-16. 2001..Thus, the strategies used to study decision-making in neurological patients have direct implications for understanding several neuropsychiatric disorders including addiction and pathological gambling...
- Decision-making deficits, linked to a dysfunctional ventromedial prefrontal cortex, revealed in alcohol and stimulant abusersA Bechara
Department of Neurology, University of Iowa, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa, IA 52242, USA
Neuropsychologia 39:376-89. 2001..The results support the hypothesis that impairment in decision-making linked to a dysfunctional VM cortex is associated with at least a sub-group of SD...
- The ability to decide advantageously declines prematurely in some normal older personsN L Denburg
Department of Neurology, Division of Cognitive Neuroscience, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA 52242 1053, USA
Neuropsychologia 43:1099-106. 2005..Our finding has important societal and public policy implications (e.g., choosing medical care, allocating personal wealth), and may also help explain why many older individuals are targeted by and susceptible to fraudulent advertising...
- Impaired perception of self-motion (heading) in abstinent ecstasy and marijuana usersM Rizzo
Division of Neuroergonomics and Division of Behavioral Neurology and Cognitive Neuroscience, Department of Neurology, The University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 179:559-66. 2005..This study asks, does recreational use of +/-3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA; ecstasy) and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC; marijuana) impair cognitive processes that help direct our safe movement through the world?..
- Differential effects of insular and ventromedial prefrontal cortex lesions on risky decision-makingL Clark
Behavioural and Clinical Neuroscience Institute, Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge, UK
Brain 131:1311-22. 2008..Poor decision-making in clinical populations can arise via multiple routes, with functionally dissociable effects of vmPFC and insular cortex damage...
- Effects of anticipatory stress on decision making in a gambling taskS D Preston
Department of Psychology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Behav Neurosci 121:257-63. 2007..Effects of anticipatory stress on decision making are complex and depend on both the nature of the task and the individual...
- Impulsive behavior in adults with attention deficit/ hyperactivity disorder: characterization of attentional, motor and cognitive impulsivenessL Malloy-Diniz
Neuropsychology and Neurosciences Research Group, Health Sciences School, FUMEC University, Bairro São Lucas, Brazil
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 13:693-8. 2007..Most importantly, this study also highlights the complementary nature of self-report questionnaires and neuropsychological tasks in the assessment of impulsivity in ADHD adults...
- [The brain mechanisms involved in making decisions. Reply]J M Martinez-Selva
Departamento de Anatomía Humana y Psicobiología, Universidad de Murcia, 30100 Murcia, Spain
Rev Neurol 43:190. 2006
- [Brain mechanisms involved in decision-making]J M Martinez-Selva
Departamento de Anatomía Humana y Psicobiología, Facultad de Psicologia, Universidad de Murcia, Murcia, Spain
Rev Neurol 42:411-8. 2006..To review the studies on brain mechanisms in decision making within the framework of the somatic marker hypothesis, and based on experiments employing the Iowa Gambling Task...
- Cognitive function and mood in MDMA/THC users, THC users and non-drug using controlsC T J Lamers
Experimental Psychopharmacology Unit, Department of Neurocognition, Brain and Behaviour Institute, Maastricht University, The Netherlands
J Psychopharmacol 20:302-11. 2006..THC users were impaired in some cognitive abilities to the same degree as MDMA/THC users, suggesting that some cognitive impairment attributed to MDMA is more likely due to concurrent THC use...