T Mark Beasley
Affiliation: University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Empirical bayes method for incorporating data from multiple genome scansT Mark Beasley
Department of Biostatistics, Section of Statistical Genetics, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294, USA
Hum Hered 60:36-42. 2005..This EB method for incorporating data from multiple studies into genome scan analyses seems promising...
- Rank-based inverse normal transformations are increasingly used, but are they merited?T Mark Beasley
Department of Biostatistics, Section on Statistical Genetics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Ryals Public Health Building, Suite 327, Birmingham, AL, 35294, USA
Behav Genet 39:580-95. 2009..Rigorous research evaluating the utility of INTs seems warranted...
- A proposed metric for assessing the measurement quality of individual microarraysKyoungmi Kim
Department of Biostatistics, University of Alabama, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 7:35. 2006..In some cases this may be manifested as systematic spatial variation on the surface of microarray in which expression measurements within an individual array may vary as a function of geographic position on the array surface...
- Ancestry-informative markers on chromosomes 2, 8 and 15 are associated with insulin-related traits in a racially diverse sample of childrenYann C Klimentidis
Section on Statistical Genetics, Department of Biostatistics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Hum Genomics 5:79-89. 2011..Importantly, we have implicated this region in the early development of diabetes-related phenotypes, and in the genetic aetiology of population differences in these phenotypes...
- New joint covariance- and marginal-based tests for association and linkage for quantitative traits for random and non-random samplingHemant K Tiwari
Department of Biostatistics, Section on Statistical Genetics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Genet Epidemiol 28:48-57. 2005..Both random sampling and extreme sampling schemes were investigated. A multinomial logistic joint test provides the highest overall power irrespective of sample size, allele frequency, heritability, and modes of inheritance...
- Intramyocellular lipid and insulin resistance: differential relationships in European and African AmericansKatherine H Ingram
Department of Biostatistics, University of Alabama, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 19:1469-75. 2011..These results highlight ethnic differences in the determinants of insulin sensitivity and in the pathogenesis of the metabolic syndrome trait cluster...
- Joint tests for quantitative trait loci in experimental crossesT Mark Beasley
Department of Biostatistics, Section on Statistical Genetics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Genet Sel Evol 36:601-19. 2004..Joint tests were generally more powerful for one-tailed selection under both backcross and F2 intercross situations. However, joint tests cannot be recommended for one-tailed selective genotyping if segregation distortion is suspected...
- Association of African genetic admixture with resting metabolic rate and obesity among womenJose R Fernandez
Department of Nutrition Sciences and the Clinical Nutrition Research Center, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Obes Res 11:904-11. 2003....
- VKORC1 polymorphisms, haplotypes and haplotype groups on warfarin dose among African-Americans and European-AmericansNita A Limdi
Department of Neurology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1719 6th Avenue South, CIRC 312, Birmingham AL 35294 0021, USA
Pharmacogenomics 9:1445-58. 2008..However, the inadequate representation of African-Americans and the assessment of a few VKORC1 polymorphisms have hindered this effort...
- A pilot assessment of parental practices and attitudes regarding risk disclosure and clinical research involving children in Huntington disease familiesLeon S Dure
Department of Pediatrics, The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, Alabama, USA
Genet Med 10:811-9. 2008..To characterize parental practices of informing children of risk for Huntington disease (HD), and to understand the attitudes of parents concerning childhood participation in HD research...
- Kidney function influences warfarin responsiveness and hemorrhagic complicationsNita A Limdi
Department of Neurology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1719 6th Avenue South, CIRC 312, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0021, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 20:912-21. 2009..Diminished renal function may have implications for a larger proportion of warfarin users than previously estimated...
- Bias in estimates of quantitative-trait-locus effect in genome scans: demonstration of the phenomenon and a method-of-moments procedure for reducing biasDavid B Allison
Department of Biostatistics and Center for Research on Clinical Nutrition, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294 0022, USA
Am J Hum Genet 70:575-85. 2002..Finally, limitations of the MOM approach are noted, and we discuss some alternative procedures that may also reduce bias...
- Warfarin dosing in patients with impaired kidney functionNita A Limdi
Department of Neurology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL 35294 0021, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 56:823-31. 2010..Unfortunately, few data exist to guide dose adjustment in patients with decreased kidney function. Here, we determine the degree of warfarin dose reduction associated with kidney impairment and make recommendations for warfarin dosing...
- Influence of CYP2C9 and VKORC1 on warfarin dose, anticoagulation attainment and maintenance among European-Americans and African-AmericansNita A Limdi
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Department of Neurology, 1719 6th Avenue South, CIRC 312, Birmingham, AL 35294 0021, USA
Pharmacogenomics 9:511-26. 2008....
- Effectiveness evaluation of the N-O-T smoking cessation program for adolescentsConnie L Kohler
Department of Health Behavior, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1530 3rd Avenue South, RPHB 227, Birmingham, AL 35294 0022, USA
Am J Health Behav 32:368-79. 2008..To evaluate the effectiveness of the Not-On-Tobacco Program...
- The effect of gender and respirator brand on the association of respirator fit with facial dimensionsR Kent Oestenstad
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294 0022, USA
J Occup Environ Hyg 4:923-30. 2007....
- Regional admixture mapping and structured association testing: conceptual unification and an extensible general linear modelDavid T Redden
Department of Biostatistics, Section on Statistical Genetics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, United States of America
PLoS Genet 2:e137. 2006....
- Comparison of linear weighting schemes for perfect match and mismatch gene expression levels from microarray dataT Mark Beasley
Section on Statistical Genetics, Department of Biostatistics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Am J Pharmacogenomics 5:197-205. 2005....
- Validity and power of missing data imputation for extreme sampling and terminal measures designs in mediation analysisRobert Makowsky
Department of Biostatistics, University of Alabama at Birmingham Birmingham, AL, USA
Front Genet 2:75. 2011..Yet, the use of extreme sampling designs and methods to handle the resultant missing data presents a viable research strategy...
- Canaries in the coal mine: a cross-species analysis of the plurality of obesity epidemicsYann C Klimentidis
Department of Biostatistics, University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL, USA
Proc Biol Sci 278:1626-32. 2011..g. viral pathogens, epigenetic factors). This finding may eventually enhance the discovery and fuller elucidation of other factors that have contributed to the recent rise in obesity rates...
- Using genetic admixture to explain racial differences in insulin-related phenotypesBarbara A Gower
Department of Nutrition Sciences, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 3360, USA
Diabetes 52:1047-51. 2003....
- Improving the power of sib pair quantitative trait loci detection by phenotype winsorizationJose R Fernandez
Department of Nutrition Sciences, Division of Physiology and Metabolism, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294 3360, USA
Hum Hered 53:59-67. 2002..We evaluated the robustness and power of reducing the influence of subjects with extreme phenotypic values by Winsorizing non-normal distributions in three versions of Haseman-Elston regression-based methods of QTL linkage analysis...
- Effect of winsorization on power and type 1 error of variance components and related methods of QTL detectionSanjay Shete
Department of Epidemiology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Behav Genet 34:153-9. 2004..A robust version of the LRT that adjusts for sample kurtosis showed the best power for nonnormal data. Finally, phenotype winsorization of nonnormal data reduces the bias in estimation of the major gene variance component...
- Attenuation of sarcopenia by dietary restriction in rhesus monkeysRicki J Colman
Wisconsin National Primate Research Center, University of Wisconsin Madison, 1220 Capitol Ct, Madison, WI 53715, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 63:556-9. 2008..Body weight-adjusted skeletal muscle mass declined somewhat in both groups but was far more rapid in the control group. We have shown that moderate, adult-onset DR can attenuate sarcopenia in a nonhuman primate model...
- Tympanometry in rhesus monkeys: effects of aging and caloric restrictionCynthia G Fowler
Department of Communicative Disorders, University of Wisconsin Madison, WI 53706, USA
Int J Audiol 47:209-14. 2008..These results parallel many findings in middle-ear function in aging humans. Longitudinal studies are planned...