Affiliation: University of California
- A comparison of two popular statistical methods for estimating the time to most recent common ancestor (TMRCA) from a sample of DNA sequencesAnalabha Basu
Anthropology and Human Genetics Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, 203 B T Road, Kolkata 700 108, India
J Genet 82:7-12. 2003..We have found that for both methods (i) the estimates are insensitive to demographic parameters and (ii) the standard deviations of the estimates are too high for these methods to be reliably used in practice...
- Genome-wide distribution of ancestry in Mexican AmericansAnalabha Basu
Institute for Human Genetics, University of California, San Francisco, 513 Parnassus Ave, Room 901H HSW, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Hum Genet 124:207-14. 2008..These locations may harbor genes that have been subjected to natural selection after the ancestral mixing giving rise to Mexicans...
- Characterizing the admixed African ancestry of African AmericansFouad Zakharia
Department of Genetics, Stanford University School of Medicine, 300 Pasteur Drive, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Genome Biol 10:R141. 2009..To focus on African ancestry, we reduced the data to include only those genotypes in each African American determined statistically to be African in origin...
- Ancestry-related assortative mating in Latino populationsNeil Risch
Institute for Human Genetics, University of California, San Francisco, 513 Parnassus Ave, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Genome Biol 10:R132. 2009..While spouse correlations have been documented for numerous traits, no prior studies have assessed assortative mating for genetic ancestry in admixed populations...
- Admixture mapping of quantitative trait loci for BMI in African Americans: evidence for loci on chromosomes 3q, 5q, and 15qAnalabha Basu
Institute for Human Genetics, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 17:1226-31. 2009..These results suggest that these regions may harbor genes influencing BMI in the AA population...
- Admixture mapping of quantitative trait loci for blood lipids in African-AmericansAnalabha Basu
Institute for Human Genetics, University of California San Francisco, 513 Parnassus Avenue, Room 901F HSW, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Hum Mol Genet 18:2091-8. 2009..The identified regions provide locations for follow-up studies of genetic variants underlying lipid variation in African-Americans and possibly other populations...
- Natural variation in four human collagen genes across an ethnically diverse populationTing Fung Chan
Cardiovascular Research Institute and Institute for Human Genetics, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Genomics 91:307-14. 2008..Our observations suggest that the study of collagen mutations and their relationships with disease phenotypes should be performed in the context of the genetic background of the subjects...
- Common polymorphisms of ALOX5 and ALOX5AP and risk of coronary artery diseaseThemistocles L Assimes
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA
Hum Genet 123:399-408. 2008..However, additional studies are needed to exclude modest effects of promoter variation in ALOX5 on the risk of CAD assuming a recessive mode of inheritance...
- A near null variant of 12/15-LOX encoded by a novel SNP in ALOX15 and the risk of coronary artery diseaseThemistocles L Assimes
Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5406, USA
Atherosclerosis 198:136-44. 2008..We tested the hypothesis that exonic and/or promoter single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in the human 12/15-LOX gene (ALOX15) alter the risk of symptomatic coronary artery disease (CAD)...
- Identification of polymorphic motifs using probabilistic search algorithmsAnalabha Basu
Human Genetics Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata, 700108 India
Genome Res 15:67-77. 2005..These algorithms can easily be implemented to discover motifs from multilocus genotype data by simple numerical recoding of genotypes...
- Ethnic India: a genomic view, with special reference to peopling and structureAnalabha Basu
Anthropology and Human Genetics Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta 700 108, India
Genome Res 13:2277-90. 2003....