Nicholas A Barber
Affiliation: University of Massachusetts
- Light environment and leaf characteristics affect distribution of Corythuca arcuata (Hemiptera: Tingidae)Nicholas A Barber
Department of Biology, University of Missouri St Louis, One University Blvd, St Louis, MO 63121, USA
Environ Entomol 39:492-7. 2010..arcuata faces a trade-off between preferences for physical habitat conditions and host plant characteristics...
- Effects of above- and belowground herbivory on growth, pollination, and reproduction in cucumberNicholas A Barber
Department of Plant, Soil, and Insect Sciences, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA, USA
Oecologia 165:377-86. 2011..These results demonstrate that the often-overlooked effects of belowground herbivores may have profound effects on plant performance...
- Light environment and the impacts of foliage quality on herbivorous insect attack and bird predationNicholas A Barber
Department of Biology, University of Missouri St Louis, St Louis, USA
Oecologia 166:401-9. 2011..Thus, differences in effects of predators on herbivores and plants between light habitats, when observed, might be due to variation in predator abundance and not bottom-up effects of host plant quality...
- Leaf quality, predators, and stochastic processes in the assembly of a diverse herbivore communityNicholas A Barber
Department of Biology, University of Missouri St Louis, R223 Research Building, One University Boulevard, St Louis, Missouri 63121 4400, USA
Ecology 92:699-708. 2011..The species composition of these communities may be driven by stochastic processes rather than variation in host plant characteristics or differential predation by insectivorous birds...
- Invasive prey impacts the abundance and distribution of native predatorsNicholas A Barber
Department of Biology, University of Missouri, St Louis, Missouri 63121, USA
Ecology 89:2678-83. 2008..By shifting the annual distribution of cuckoos, gypsy moths may be shifting the trophic impact of cuckoos across large distances, which could affect native insect herbivores and plants...
- Herbivory reduces plant interactions with above- and belowground antagonists and mutualistsNicholas A Barber
Department of Plant, Soil, and Insect Sciences, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts 01003, USA
Ecology 93:1560-70. 2012..Although herbivores influenced interactions between plants and other organisms, these effects appear to be weaker than the direct negative effects of early-season tissue loss...
- An empirical evaluation of the insurance hypothesis in diversity-stability modelsThomas J Valone
Department of Biology, St Louis University, St Louis, Missouri 63103, USA
Ecology 89:522-31. 2008..As such, our review suggests that the insurance hypothesis may not be a strong mechanism stabilizing fluctuations in natural terrestrial communities...