Affiliation: University of Michigan
- A validation study of a retrospective venous thromboembolism risk scoring methodVinita Bahl
Department of Clinical Information and Decision Support Services, Office of Clinical Affairs, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5485, USA
Ann Surg 251:344-50. 2010....
- Do the AHRQ patient safety indicators flag conditions that are present at the time of hospital admission?Vinita Bahl
Clinical Information and Decision Support Services, Office of Clinical Affairs, University of Michigan Health System, 300 North Ingalls, Rm 7A10, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0485, USA
Med Care 46:516-22. 2008..The objective of this patient safety performance study was to assess the impact of cases flagged by each PSI for diagnoses that were actually present on admission on unadjusted PSI rates...
- Exploratory analyses of the "failure to rescue" measure: evaluation through medical record reviewAkkeneel Talsma
University of Michigan School of Nursing, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Nurs Care Qual 23:202-10. 2008..The review suggests that many factors influence whether a case is included in the measure, such as existing health problems, the presence of complex comorbidities, and variation in clinical documentation and coding practices...
- Relevance of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Patient Safety Indicators for children's hospitalsAileen Sedman
University of Michigan Health System, C201 Med Inn Building, Box 0825, 1500 E Medical Center Dr, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0825, USA
Pediatrics 115:135-45. 2005..In addition, we wanted to use the data to set priorities for ongoing clinical investigations and to propose interventions if the indicators demonstrated preventable errors...
- Chemoprophylaxis for venous thromboembolism in otolaryngologyVinita Bahl
Office of Clinical Affairs, Department of Performance Assessment and Clinical Effectiveness, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor
JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 140:999-1005. 2014..Key to the development of VTE prophylaxis recommendations are effective VTE risk stratification and evaluation of the benefits and harms of prophylaxis...
- Identifying patients at high risk for venous thromboembolism requiring treatment after outpatient surgeryChristopher J Pannucci
Section of Plastic Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Ann Surg 255:1093-9. 2012..To identify independent predictors of 30-day venous thromboembolism (VTE) events requiring treatment after outpatient surgery...
- Clinical redesign using all patient refined diagnosis related groupsAileen B Sedman
University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Pediatrics 114:965-9. 2004....
- Stratifying the risk of venous thromboembolism in otolaryngologyAndrew G Shuman
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 146:719-24. 2012..The utility of perioperative VTE risk assessment in otolaryngology is unknown. This study was designed to risk-stratify a diverse population of otolaryngology patients for VTE events...
- Validation of the Caprini Venous Thromboembolism Risk Assessment Model in Critically Ill Surgical PatientsAndrea T Obi
Section of Vascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor
JAMA Surg 150:941-8. 2015..Appropriate risk stratification for venous thromboembolism (VTE) is essential to providing appropriate thromboprophylaxis and avoiding morbidity and mortality...
- Implementation of a small bowel obstruction guideline improves hospital efficiencyWendy L Wahl
Trauma and Surgical Critical Care, Saint Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor, Ann Arbor, MI 48106 0995, USA
Surgery 152:626-32; discussion 632-4. 2012..Concern for potential delays in operation led to formalization of an institution-wide SBO management guideline. We hypothesized that use of the guideline would improve initial triage and patient outcomes...
- Improved outcomes in patients with head and neck cancer using a standardized care protocol for postoperative alcohol withdrawalChristopher D Lansford
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 134:865-72. 2008..To show clinical benefit in the main outcome measures by the use of a standardized protocol for identification, characterization, and treatment of alcohol withdrawal syndrome (AWS) in postoperative patients with head and neck cancer...
- PA-driven VTE risk assessment improves compliance with recommended prophylaxisMarc Moote
University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
JAAPA 23:27-30, 32-5. 2010..We hypothesize that PAs are well-positioned to assist health systems with implementation of efforts to reduce the rates of this in-hospital complication and increase adherence to published standards for VTE prophylaxis...
- Developing dashboards to measure and manage inpatient pharmacy costsVinita Bahl
Clinical Information and Decision Support Services, University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 64:1859-66. 2007....
- Reducing costs and improving outcomes of percutaneous coronary interventionsMauro Moscucci
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, 48109 0119, USA
Am J Manag Care 9:365-72. 2003..To describe cost reduction and quality improvement efforts in our percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) program and how risk adjustment was used to assess the effects of these changes...
- Linear programming to optimize performance in a department of surgeryMichael W Mulholland
Department of Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Am Coll Surg 200:861-8. 2005..Linear programming is an analytic method that can be used to develop models for health care that optimize distribution of resources through mathematical means...
- Population-based medical and disease management: an evaluation of cost and qualityChristopher G Wise
UMHS Medical Management Center, University of Michigan, 2500 Green Road, Suite 700, Ann Arbor, MI 48105 1500, USA
Dis Manag 9:45-55. 2006..Further studies utilizing appropriate methodologies would be beneficial...