Affiliation: University of Pittsburgh
- A pathoanatomic approach to the management of mitral regurgitationVinay Badhwar
The Center for Mitral Valve Disease, Heart and Vascular Institute, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA Electronic address
Trends Cardiovasc Med 26:126-34. 2016....
- Extubating in the operating room after adult cardiac surgery safely improves outcomes and lowers costsVinay Badhwar
Heart and Vascular Institute, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA Electronic address
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 148:3101-9.e1. 2014..We examined the outcomes and direct costs of protocolized OR extubation versus early postoperative intensive care unit (ICU) extubation after nonemergency open cardiac surgery...
- Longitudinal outcome of isolated mitral repair in older patients: results from 14,604 procedures performed from 1991 to 2007Vinay Badhwar
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 94:1870-7; discussion 1877-9. 2012..The goal of this study was to assess durability and longitudinal outcomes after isolated primary MV repair in patients aged 65 years or more...
- Noninferiority of closely monitored mechanical valves to bioprostheses overshadowed by early mortality benefit in younger patientsVinay Badhwar
Cardiac Surgical Associate of Florida, St Petersburg, Florida, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 93:748-53. 2012..We prospectively compared results of bioprostheses (BP) and a bileaflet mechanical prosthesis (MP) monitored at low INR thresholds...
- Successful linking of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons Database to Social Security data to examine the accuracy of Society of Thoracic Surgeons mortality dataJeffrey P Jacobs
Johns Hopkins Children s Heart Surgery, All Children s Hospital and Florida Hospital for Children, St Petersburg, Tampa, and Orlando, FL 33701, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 145:976-83. 2013....
- Pediatric cardiac transplantation in children with high panel reactive antibodyJeffrey P Jacobs
The Congenital Heart Institute of Florida, All Children s Hospital, University of South Florida, St Petersburg, Florida, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 78:1703-9. 2004..We retrospectively reviewed our management strategy and outcome data for children undergoing heart transplantation with high PRA (> 10%)...
- Effect of Aortic Clamping Strategy on Postoperative Stroke in Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting OperationsDanny Chu
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Heart and Vascular Institute, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania2Division of Cardiac Surgery, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
JAMA Surg 151:59-62. 2016..We hypothesized that partial aortic clamping (PAC) use in performing proximal coronary anastomosis does not increase risk of stroke...
- Creating a database with cardioscopy and intra-operative imagingJeffrey P Jacobs
The Congenital Heart Institute of Florida, University of South Florida, St Petersburg, FL 33701, USA
Cardiol Young 15:184-9. 2005
- The Effect of Comprehensive Society of Thoracic Surgeons Quality Improvement on Outcomes and Failure to RescueDanny Chu
Division of Cardiac Surgery, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Ann Thorac Surg 100:2147-50. 2015..Failure to rescue (FTR) from postoperative morbidity is a proposed metric of program quality. We examined the effect of a quality improvement initiative guided by STS quality measures on outcomes and FTR...
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons voluntary public reporting initiative: the first 4 yearsDavid M Shahian
Department of Surgery and Center for Quality and Safety, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Colorado, Aurora, CO Department of Cardiac Surgery, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL Institute for Health Care Research and Improvement, Baylor Health Care System, Dallas, TX Duke Clinical Research Institute, Durham, NC Starr Wood Cardiac Group, Portland, OR Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA HCA North Texas Division, Dallas, TX Society of Thoracic Surgeons, Chicago, IL Johns Hopkins All Children s Heart Institute, All Children s Hospital, St Petersburg, FL
Ann Surg 262:526-35; discussion 533-5. 2015..To evaluate participant characteristics and outcomes during the first 4 years of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) public reporting program...
- Long-term patient and allograft outcomes of renal transplant recipients undergoing cardiac surgeryRodolfo V Rocha
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 147:270-5. 2014..This study assessed perioperative risk factors for mortality and long-term outcomes in renal transplant recipients who underwent cardiac surgery...
- Left atrial reduction enhances outcomes of modified maze procedure for permanent atrial fibrillation during concomitant mitral surgeryVinay Badhwar
Cardiac Surgical Associates MAZE Investigators, St Petersburg, Florida 33701, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 82:1758-63; discussion 1764. 2006..Current technique variations tend to obscure the decision-making algorithm in these patients. A single energy-source approach for the surgical management of patients with large left atria and permanent atrial fibrillation is presented...
- Safety and efficacy of implementing a multidisciplinary heart team approach for revascularization in patients with complex coronary artery disease: an observational cohort pilot studyDanny Chu
Heart and Vascular Institute, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania2Division of Cardiac Surgery, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
JAMA Surg 149:1109-12. 2014..However, little is known about the potential effect of MHT on patients with coronary artery disease (CAD)...
- The modern approach to patent ductus arteriosus treatment: complementary roles of video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery and interventional cardiology coil occlusionJeffrey P Jacobs
Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, All Children s Hospital University of South Florida College of Medicine, St Petersburg, Florida 33701, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 76:1421-7; discussion 1427-8. 2003..In an effort to analyze our experience and develop treatment guidelines, we reviewed all our patients with patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) treated with video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) or interventional cardiology coil occlusion...
- Successful linking of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons adult cardiac surgery database to Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Medicare dataJeffrey Phillip Jacobs
The Congenital Heart Institute of Florida CHIF, All Children s Hospital and Children s Hospital of Tampa, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Cardiac Surgical Associates of Florida CSAoF, Saint Petersburg and Tampa, Florida, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 90:1150-6; discussion 1156-7. 2010..This study demonstrates the feasibility of linking STS data to CMS data and examines the penetration, completeness, and representativeness of the STS database...
- Video-assisted minimally invasive mitral valve surgery: transitioning from sternotomy to mini-thoracotomyVinay Badhwar
Division of Cardiac Surgery, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Multimed Man Cardiothorac Surg 2013:mmt016. 2013..We describe one such approach that utilizes video assistance along with direct vision to facilitate reproducible mitral surgery. ..