Affiliation: University of Southern California
- Lateralization of the human mirror neuron systemLisa Aziz-Zadeh
Ahmanson Lovelace Brain Mapping Center, Neuropsychiatric Institute, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Neurosci 26:2964-70. 2006..The left hemisphere superiority for language, then, must be have been favored by other types of language precursors, perhaps auditory or multimodal action representations...
- Exploring the neural correlates of visual creativityLisa Aziz-Zadeh
Brain and Creativity Institute and Division of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy, University of Southern California, CA, USA
Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci 8:475-80. 2013....
- Embodied semantics for actions: findings from functional brain imagingLisa Aziz-Zadeh
Brain and Creativity Institute BCI, 3641 Watt Way Suite 126, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 2520, USA
J Physiol Paris 102:35-9. 2008..In particular we address the representation of actions and concepts as well as literal and metaphorical phrases in the premotor cortex...
- "Aha!": The neural correlates of verbal insight solutionsLisa Aziz-Zadeh
Department of Occupational Sciences, Brain and Creativity Institute, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089 2520, USA
Hum Brain Mapp 30:908-16. 2009..These areas are discussed with their possible role in evaluation and metacognition of insight solutions, as well as attention and monitoring during insight...
- Congruent embodied representations for visually presented actions and linguistic phrases describing actionsLisa Aziz-Zadeh
Dipartimento di Neuroscienze, Universita di Parma, Via Volturno, 39 E, I 43100 Parma, Italy
Curr Biol 16:1818-23. 2006..These results suggest a key role of mirror neuron areas in the re-enactment of sensory-motor representations during conceptual processing of actions invoked by linguistic stimuli...
- The human mirror neuron system and embodied representationsLisa Aziz-Zadeh
Brain and Creativity Institute, Department of Occupational Sciences, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 629:355-76. 2009..Furthermore, we review functions of this system related to action comprehension and motor imagery, as well as evidence for speculations on the system's ties with conceptual knowledge and language...
- Modulation of the FFA and PPA by language related to faces and placesLisa Aziz-Zadeh
University of California and International Computer Science Institute, Berkeley, California, USA
Soc Neurosci 3:229-38. 2008..Furthermore, our data indicate that this semantic-based modulation is restricted to the left hemisphere. We discuss how these results may constrain neural models of embodied semantics...
- Left hemisphere motor facilitation in response to manual action soundsLisa Aziz-Zadeh
Ahmanson Lovelace Brain Mapping Center, Neuropsychiatric Institute, UCLA, 660 Charles E Young Dr South, Los Angeles, CA90095 7085, USA
Eur J Neurosci 19:2609-12. 2004..This facilitation was exclusively lateralized to the left hemisphere, the dominant hemisphere for language. These results are consistent with the hypothesis that action coding may be a precursor of language...
- Covert speech arrest induced by rTMS over both motor and nonmotor left hemisphere frontal sitesLisa Aziz-Zadeh
Universita di Parma, Italy
J Cogn Neurosci 17:928-38. 2005..Furthermore, both the left posterior/motor site and the left anterior/IFG site appear to be essential to language elaboration even when motor output is not required...
- The self across the senses: an fMRI study of self-face and self-voice recognitionJonas T Kaplan
Ahmanson Lovelace Brain Mapping Center, Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci 3:218-23. 2008..These data suggest that the right IFG is concerned with processing self-related stimuli across multiple sensory modalities and that it may contribute to an abstract self-representation...
- Experience with an amputee modulates one's own sensorimotor response during action observationSook Lei Liew
Brain and Creativity Institute, University of Southern California, 3620A McClintock Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90089 2921, United States
Neuroimage 69:138-45. 2013....
- Understanding otherness: the neural bases of action comprehension and pain empathy in a congenital amputeeLisa Aziz-Zadeh
Brain and Creativity Institute, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 2520, USA
Cereb Cortex 22:811-9. 2012..These results provide a novel understanding for how we understand and empathize with individuals who drastically differ from the self...
- Familiarity modulates mirror neuron and mentalizing regions during intention understandingSook Lei Liew
The Brain and Creativity Institute, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089 2520, USA
Hum Brain Mapp 32:1986-97. 2011....
- The influence of language on perception: listening to sentences about faces affects the perception of facesAyelet N Landau
Psychology Department, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
J Neurosci 30:15254-61. 2010..This interference may be a consequence of the natural statistics of language and vision given that linguistic content is generally uncorrelated with the contents of perception...
- Default network deactivations are correlated with psychopathic personality traitsTong Sheng
Brain and Creativity Institute, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, USA
PLoS ONE 5:e12611. 2010....
- Modulating the motor system by action observation after strokeKathleen Alice Garrison
Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy, Brain and Creativity Institute, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Stroke 44:2247-53. 2013..This may be especially useful in individuals with limited mobility. Here, we assess how cortical motor activity during action observation is affected by stroke and by stroke-related motor deficits...
- Interpersonal liking modulates motor-related neural regionsMona Sobhani
Neuroscience Graduate Program, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e46809. 2012..These findings lend further support for the notion that social factors such as interpersonal liking modulate perceptual processing in motor-related cortices...
- Hemispheric sensitivity to body stimuli in simple reaction timeLisa Aziz-Zadeh
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 9005 7085, USA
Exp Brain Res 170:116-21. 2006..The results support an automatic and implicit processing of visual stimuli within motor representations even when no recognition of, or decision about, the stimulus is necessary...
- Who's afraid of the boss: cultural differences in social hierarchies modulate self-face recognition in Chinese and AmericansSook Lei Liew
The Brain and Creativity Institute, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e16901. 2011....
- Lateralization in motor facilitation during action observation: a TMS studyLisa Aziz-Zadeh
Ahmanson Lovelace Brain Mapping Center, UCLA School of Medicine, 600 Charles E Young Drive South, Los Angeles, CA 90005 7085, USA
Exp Brain Res 144:127-31. 2002..The pattern of this effect is congruent with the pattern of motor representation in each hemisphere...
- Common premotor regions for the perception and production of prosody and correlations with empathy and prosodic abilityLisa Aziz-Zadeh
Brain and Creativity Institute, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e8759. 2010..However there has been little work on whether the perception and production of prosody share common neural processes, and if so, how these might correlate with individual differences in social ability...
- The mirror neuron system: a neural substrate for methods in stroke rehabilitationKathleen A Garrison
Motor Behavior and Neurorehabilitation Laboratory, Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy, Brain and Creativity Institute, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 9006, USA
Neurorehabil Neural Repair 24:404-12. 2010..Here the authors review research into each condition of practice, and discuss the relevance of the mirror neuron system to stroke recovery...
- Psychopathic traits modulate microstructural integrity of right uncinate fasciculus in a community populationMona Sobhani
Neuroscience Graduate Program, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA Brain and Creativity Institute, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Neuroimage Clin 8:32-8. 2015..However, no moderation of the relationship by trait anxiety was discovered. Findings provide further support for the notion of altered amygdala-VMPFC connectivity in association with higher psychopathic traits. ..
- Empathy and the somatotopic auditory mirror system in humansValeria Gazzola
School of Behavioral and Cognitive Neurosciences, Neuroimaging Center, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen 9713AW, The Netherlands
Curr Biol 16:1824-9. 2006..Finally, individuals who scored higher on an empathy scale activated this system more strongly, adding evidence for a possible link between the motor mirror system and empathy...