Affiliation: University of California
- Back pain in seniors: the Back pain Outcomes using Longitudinal Data (BOLD) cohort baseline dataJeffrey G Jarvik
Department of Radiology, University of Washington, 325 Ninth Ave, Box 359728, Seattle, WA 98104 2499, USA
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 15:134. 2014..Our goal was to describe how pain, function and health-related quality of life vary by demographic and geographic factors among seniors presenting to primary care providers with new episodes of care for back pain...
- Initial experience with a group presentation of study results to research participantsAndrew L Avins
Division of Research, Northern California Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, California, USA
Trials 9:16. 2008..This is due, in part, to the costs and burdens of communicating with each participant after publication of the results...
- Study protocol: the Back Pain Outcomes using Longitudinal Data (BOLD) registryJeffrey G Jarvik
Department of Radiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 13:64. 2012....
- Safety and toxicity of saw palmetto in the CAMUS trialAndrew L Avins
Northern California Kaiser Permanente Division of Research, Oakland and Departments of Medicine and Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94612, USA
J Urol 189:1415-20. 2013..While the most recent data from double-blind clinical trials do not support efficacy superior to that of placebo, there are sparse data on saw palmetto toxicity...
- Should we reconsider the routine use of placebo controls in clinical research?Andrew L Avins
Northern California Kaiser Permanente Division of Research, 2000 Broadway, Oakland, CA 94612, USA
Trials 13:44. 2012..An unrecognized consequence of this preference is that clinicians are more limited in their ability to provide the benefits of the non-specific healing effects of placebos in clinical practice...
- Study protocol- Lumbar Epidural steroid injections for Spinal Stenosis (LESS): a double-blind randomized controlled trial of epidural steroid injections for lumbar spinal stenosis among older adultsJanna L Friedly
Comparative Effectiveness, Cost and Outcomes Research Center, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 13:48. 2012....
- Characteristics of patients with chronic back pain who benefit from acupunctureKaren J Sherman
Group Health Research Institute, Seattle, USA
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 10:114. 2009..As part of a large trial evaluating acupuncture for chronic low back pain, we sought to identify subgroups of participants that were particularly responsive to acupuncture...
- Comparing recruitment strategies in a study of acupuncture for chronic back painKaren J Sherman
Group Health Research Institute, 1730 Minor Avenue, Suite 1600, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
BMC Med Res Methodol 9:69. 2009..Little is known about how the use of different recruitment strategies affects the types of individuals choosing to participate or the conclusions of the study...
- A detailed safety assessment of a saw palmetto extractAndrew L Avins
Division of Research, Northern California Kaiser Permanente, San Francisco, CA, USA
Complement Ther Med 16:147-54. 2008..Saw palmetto is commonly used by men for lower-urinary tract symptoms. Despite its widespread use, very little is known about the potential toxicity of this dietary supplement...
- Hepatic effects of lovastatin exposure in patients with liver disease: a retrospective cohort studyAndrew L Avins
Kaiser Permanente Division of Research, Oakland, CA 94612, USA
Drug Saf 31:325-34. 2008..Little is known about the potential adverse hepatic effects of HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors ('statins') in patients with existing liver disease; therefore, we examined the risk of liver toxicity with lovastatin exposure in these patients...
- Placebo adherence and its association with morbidity and mortality in the studies of left ventricular dysfunctionAndrew L Avins
Northern California Kaiser Permanente Division of Research, Oakland, CA 94612, USA
J Gen Intern Med 25:1275-81. 2010....
- Creating a culture of researchAndrew L Avins
Northern California Kaiser Permanente Division of Research, Oakland, California 94612, United States
Contemp Clin Trials 28:557-62. 2007....
- Comparison of dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry and magnetic resonance imaging-measured adipose tissue depots in HIV-infected and control subjectsRebecca Scherzer
University of California, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 88:1088-96. 2008....
- Simple anthropometric measures correlate with metabolic risk indicators as strongly as magnetic resonance imaging-measured adipose tissue depots in both HIV-infected and control subjectsRebecca Scherzer
Northern California Institute for Research and Education, San Francisco, CA, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 87:1809-17. 2008..Studies in persons without HIV infection have compared percentage body fat (%BF) and waist circumference as markers of risk for the complications of excess adiposity, but only limited study has been conducted in HIV-infected subjects...
- Feasibility of conducting a clinical trial on Hatha yoga for chronic low back pain: methodological lessonsBradly P Jacobs
Osher Center for Integrative Medicine, Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 10:80-3. 2004
- Use of an embedded N-of-1 trial to improve adherence and increase information from a clinical studyAndrew L Avins
Northern California Kaiser Permanente Division of Research, Oakland, CA 94612, United States
Contemp Clin Trials 26:397-401. 2005..Wider use of formal N-of-1 studies may be a valuable tool for improving adherence and determining whether observed side effects are caused by study medication in clinical trials...
- Spontaneous bleeding associated with ginkgo biloba: a case report and systematic review of the literature: a case report and systematic review of the literatureStephen Bent
Osher Center for Integrative Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, USA
J Gen Intern Med 20:657-61. 2005..Ginkgo biloba (ginkgo) is a herbal remedy used by over 2% of the adult population in the United States. Several review articles have suggested that ginkgo may increase the risk of bleeding...
- Saw palmetto for benign prostatic hyperplasiaStephen Bent
Osher Center for Integrative Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, USA
N Engl J Med 354:557-66. 2006..Saw palmetto is used by over 2 million men in the United States for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia and is commonly recommended as an alternative to drugs approved by the Food and Drug Administration...
- Brief communication: Better ways to question patients about adverse medical events: a randomized, controlled trialStephen Bent
University of California and San Francisco Veterans Administration Medical Center, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
Ann Intern Med 144:257-61. 2006..There is no standard method of identifying adverse events in clinical trials...
- Saw palmetto and lower urinary tract symptoms: what is the latest evidence?Andrew L Avins
Northern California Kaiser Permanente Division of Research, 2000 Broadway, 3rd Floor, Oakland, CA 94612, USA
Curr Urol Rep 7:260-5. 2006..Higher-quality studies are currently underway to better define the potential benefits and risks of plant-based extracts for treating symptoms related to benign prostatic hyperplasia...
- Effect of intense lifestyle modification and cardiac rehabilitation on psychosocial cardiovascular disease risk factors and quality of lifeSteven G Aldana
College of Health and Human Performance, Brigham Young University, USA
Behav Modif 30:507-25. 2006..The rehabilitation group improved in 7 of the 12, and the control group showed significant improvements in 6 of the variables. Intensive lifestyle modification programs significantly affect psychosocial risk factors and quality of life...
- A novel clinical-trial design for the study of massage therapyMichael Patterson
Osher Center for Integrative Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Complement Ther Med 16:169-76. 2008..To develop and test the feasibility and acceptability of a structured design for a massage therapy clinical trial that included a treatment arm designed to control for the non-specific effects of a massage therapy intervention...
- The influence of an intense cardiovascular disease risk factor modification programSteven G Aldana
College of Health and Human Performance, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT 84602 2214, USA
Prev Cardiol 7:19-25. 2004....
- Cardiovascular risk reductions associated with aggressive lifestyle modification and cardiac rehabilitationSteven G Aldana
College of Health and Human Performance, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah 84602, USA
Heart Lung 32:374-82. 2003..No study has compared the impact of each on cardiovascular disease risk (CVD) factors...
- SAW PALMETTO EXTRACT IN BENIGN PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIAAndrew Avins; Fiscal Year: 2003..Numerous laboratory parameters will measured at intervals throughout the trial and symptomatic side effects will be assessed. ..
- The Enigma of Placebo Adherence and Health OutcomesAndrew Avins; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results of this investigation will shed important light on powerful biomedical and non-biomedical determinants of health outcomes that, at present, are insufficiently documented and poorly understood. ..