Joan R Asarnow
Affiliation: University of California
- Long-term benefits of short-term quality improvement interventions for depressed youths in primary careJoan Rosenbaum Asarnow
Neuropsychiatric Institute, UCLA School of Medicine, 760 Westwood Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90024 1759
Am J Psychiatry 166:1002-10. 2009..The authors examined 6-, 12-, and 18-month outcomes of a primary care quality improvement intervention...
- Emergency Department Youth Patients With Suicidal Ideation or Attempts: Predicting Suicide Attempts Through 18 Months of Follow-UpJoan Rosenbaum Asarnow
Semel Institute of Neuroscience and Human Behavior, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Suicide Life Threat Behav . 2016..Results underscore the importance of both prior suicide attempts and nonsuicidal self-harm as risk indicators for future and potentially lethal suicide attempts...
- Improving care for depression and suicide risk in adolescents: innovative strategies for bringing treatments to community settingsJoan Rosenbaum Asarnow
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095 email
Annu Rev Clin Psychol 10:275-303. 2014....
- Suicide attempt risk in youths: utility of the Harkavy-Asnis suicide scale for monitoring risk levelsJoan Asarnow
Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Semel Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6968, USA
Suicide Life Threat Behav 42:684-98. 2012..When compared with DISC-IV ratings, sensitivity of the HASS SA items was excellent (100%), and overall classification accuracy was 72%. SA planning was the strongest predictor of SAs...
- An emergency department intervention for linking pediatric suicidal patients to follow-up mental health treatmentJoan Rosenbaum Asarnow
Department of Psychiatry and Semel Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90024 1759, USA
Psychiatr Serv 62:1303-9. 2011..Many suicidal youths treated in emergency departments do not receive follow-up treatment as advocated by the National Strategy for Suicide Prevention. Two strategies for improving rates of follow-up treatment were compared...
- Suicide attempts and nonsuicidal self-injury in the treatment of resistant depression in adolescents: findings from the TORDIA studyJoan Rosenbaum Asarnow
University of California Los Angeles UCLA, Department of Psychiatry, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6968, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 50:772-81. 2011..To evaluate the clinical and prognostic significance of suicide attempts (SAs) and nonsuicidal self-injury (NSSI) in adolescents with treatment-resistant depression...
- Is expressed emotion a specific risk factor for depression or a nonspecific correlate of psychopathology?J R Asarnow
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
J Abnorm Child Psychol 29:573-83. 2001..Results support the hypothesis that critical EE in mothers shows some specificity as a risk factor or correlate of depression in youth...
- Annotation: childhood-onset schizophrenia: clinical and treatment issuesJoan Rosenbaum Asarnow
University of California, Los Angeles, Neuropsychiatric Institute, 90024, USA
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 45:180-94. 2004..In the past 10 years, there has been increased research on childhood-onset schizophrenia and clear advances have been achieved...
- Depression among youth in primary care models for delivering mental health servicesJoan Rosenbaum Asarnow
School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90024 1759, USA
Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 11:477-97, viii. 2002..The recent and ongoing studies reviewed in this articles provide some examples of these models. Future research is needed to clarify the effectiveness, costs,and benefits of this approach...
- Depression and role impairment among adolescents in primary care clinicsJoan Rosenbaum Asarnow
University of California, Los Angeles School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Adolesc Health 37:477-83. 2005..To evaluate the association between depression and role impairment in a primary care sample, with and without controlling for the effects of general medical conditions...
- Effectiveness of a quality improvement intervention for adolescent depression in primary care clinics: a randomized controlled trialJoan Rosenbaum Asarnow
UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, Calif 90024 1759, USA
JAMA 293:311-9. 2005..Depression is a common condition associated with significant morbidity in adolescents. Few depressed adolescents receive effective treatment for depression in primary care settings...
- Childhood-onset schizotypal disorder: a follow-up study and comparison with childhood-onset schizophreniaJoan Rosenbaum Asarnow
UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 15:395-402. 2005..This paper presents results from the UCLA Follow-Up Study of Childhood-Onset Schizophrenia (SZ) Spectrum Disorders...
- Correlates of "non-problematic" and "problematic" substance use among depressed adolescents in primary careRise B Goldstein
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science, University of California at Los Angeles, USA
J Addict Dis 26:39-52. 2007....
- Survey of California emergency departments about practices for management of suicidal patients and resources available for their careLarry J Baraff
Emergency Medicine Center, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Ann Emerg Med 48:452-8, 458.e1-2. 2006..To determine the resources available and current practices for the treatment of patients with suicidal ideation or attempts in California emergency departments (EDs)...
- Suicide attempts among depressed adolescents in primary careSAMANTHA R FORDWOOD
Department of Psychology, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90024 1759, USA
J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol 36:392-404. 2007..Implications of results for primary care preventive services and suicide attempt prevention are discussed...
- Clinical and cognitive correlates of depressive symptoms among youth with obsessive compulsive disorderTara S Peris
UCLA Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, CA, USA
J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol 39:616-26. 2010..Depressive symptoms were also linked to older age and more severe OCD. Low perceived control and self-competence and high OCD severity independently predicted depression scores...
- Effective components of TORDIA cognitive-behavioral therapy for adolescent depression: preliminary findingsBetsy D Kennard
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 8589, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 77:1033-41. 2009..Finally, social skills and problem solving may be active elements in CBT for adolescent depression and should be considered in treatment by those working with seriously depressed youths...
- Applying permutation tests with adjustment for covariates and attrition weights to randomized trials of health-services interventionsLingqi Tang
Health Services Research Center, Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, UCLA, 10920 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 300, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Stat Med 28:65-74. 2009....
- Pediatric emergency department suicidal patients: two-site evaluation of suicide ideators, single attempters, and repeat attemptersJoan Rosenbaum Asarnow
UCLA Department of Psychiatry, Los Angeles, CA 90024 1759, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 47:958-66. 2008..In one of the largest clinical studies of youth ED patients presenting with suicidality, we examine ideators, single attempters, and repeat attempters with the aim of clarifying optimal strategies for ED management and risk assessment...
- Treatment of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor-resistant depression in adolescents: predictors and moderators of treatment responseJoan Rosenbaum Asarnow
Department of Psychiatry, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90024 1759, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 48:330-9. 2009..This study examines predictors and moderators of treatment response, with the goal of informing efforts to match youths to optimal treatment strategies...
- Relationship of family environment and parental psychiatric diagnosis to impairment in ADHDLeah J Pressman
Department of Psychiatry, UCLA Semel Institute, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1759, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 45:346-54. 2006..The purpose of the present study was to examine the links among family environment, parental psychiatric diagnosis, and child impairment within a sample of ADHD-affected sibling pairs (ASPs) ages 5 to 18 years...
- Emergency department management of suicidal adolescentsSarah P Kennedy
Emergency Medicine Center, David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Ann Emerg Med 43:452-60. 2004..A mental health evaluation is recommended before ED discharge whenever feasible...
- Adolescent primary care patients' preferences for depression treatmentLisa H Jaycox
RAND Corporation, Arlington, Virginia 22202 5050, USA
Adm Policy Ment Health 33:198-207. 2006..Youth preference for counseling over medication may contribute to low adherence to medication treatment and underscores the importance of patient education aimed at promoting positive expectations for treatments...
- Switching to another SSRI or to venlafaxine with or without cognitive behavioral therapy for adolescents with SSRI-resistant depression: the TORDIA randomized controlled trialDavid Brent
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
JAMA 299:901-13. 2008..There are no data to guide clinicians on subsequent treatment strategy...
- YOUTH PARTNERS IN CARE: DEPRESSION & QUALITY IMPROVEMENTJoan Asarnow; Fiscal Year: 2002..The study has an interdisciplinary team including psychiatrists, psychologists, nurses, primary care clinicians, statisticians, sociologists, and economists. ..
- TREATMENT OF SSRI-RESISTANT DEPRESSION IN ADOLESCENTSJoan Asarnow; Fiscal Year: 2006..This site is based in Pittsburgh, which also serves as the Data Coordinating Center for the study [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Reducing Health Risk Behavior & Improving Health Adolescent DepressionJoan Rosenbaum Asarnow; Fiscal Year: 2010..Results will provide critical guidance to the field regarding strategies for improving health and reducing health risk behaviors in adolescents with MDD. ..