J Todd Arnedt
Affiliation: University of Michigan
- Behavioral treatment for chronic insomniaJ Todd Arnedt
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Box G BH, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912, USA
Med Health R I 85:90-4. 2002
- Performance on a dual driving simulation and subtraction task following sleep restrictionTracy Rupp
E P Bradley Sleep and Chronobiology Research Laboratory, Brown University, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Percept Mot Skills 99:739-53. 2004..The sensitivity of the task to moderate sleep loss was supported because impairment was seen on several dual-task variables whereas impairment was not observed on the Psychomotor Vigilance Task...
- Neurobehavioral performance of residents after heavy night call vs after alcohol ingestionJ Todd Arnedt
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Brown Medical School, Providence, RI, USA
JAMA 294:1025-33. 2005..Concern exists about the effect of extended resident work hours; however, no study has evaluated training-related performance impairments against an accepted standard of functional impairment...
- An open trial of cognitive-behavioral treatment for insomnia comorbid with alcohol dependenceJ Todd Arnedt
University of Michigan Sleep and Chronophysiology Laboratory, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Sleep Med 8:176-80. 2007..We evaluated the efficacy of cognitive-behavioral treatment for insomnia in recovering alcoholic patients in an open pilot study...
- Comparative sensitivity of a simulated driving task to self-report, physiological, and other performance measures during prolonged wakefulnessJ Todd Arnedt
Department of Psychology, Queen s University, Kingston, ON, Canada
J Psychosom Res 58:61-71. 2005..The objectives of this study were to compare (1) the sensitivity of simulated driving to self-report measures, nocturnal sleep latency tests (SLTs), and an auditory vigilance task and (2) urban and motorway driving...
- Treatment options for sleep disturbances during alcohol recoveryJ Todd Arnedt
Sleep and Chronophysiology Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
J Addict Dis 26:41-54. 2007....
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy for insomnia in alcohol dependent patients: a randomized controlled pilot trialJ Todd Arnedt
Sleep and Chronophysiology Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, 4250 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2700, USA
Behav Res Ther 49:227-33. 2011..The benefits of treating insomnia on drinking outcomes are less apparent...
- Sleep following alcohol intoxication in healthy, young adults: effects of sex and family history of alcoholismJ Todd Arnedt
Sleep and Chronophysiology Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 48109 2700, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 35:870-8. 2011..This study evaluated sex and family history of alcoholism as moderators of subjective ratings of sleepiness/sleep quality and polysomnography (PSG) following alcohol intoxication in healthy, young adults...
- Effects of a 3-hour sleep delay on sleep homeostasis in alcohol dependent adultsRoseanne Armitage
University of Michigan Department of Psychiatry, Sleep and Chronophysiology Laboratory, 4250 Plymouth Rd, SPC 5740, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2700, USA
Sleep 35:273-8. 2012..This study evaluated slow wave activity homeostatic response to a mild sleep challenge in alcohol-dependent adults compared to healthy controls...
- Brief behavioral therapies reduce early positive airway pressure discontinuation rates in sleep apnea syndrome: preliminary findingsMark S Aloia
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Brown Medical School
Behav Sleep Med 5:89-104. 2007..The MET therapy performed best under the condition of flexible delivery of PAP, although differences were not statistically significant. Implications are discussed...
- Predicting treatment adherence in obstructive sleep apnea using principles of behavior changeMark S Aloia
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior Brown Medical School, Providence, RI, USA
J Clin Sleep Med 1:346-53. 2005..To determine the relative predictive utility of measures of behavior-change principles on treatment adherence in individuals with obstructive sleep apnea...
- Intoxication with bourbon versus vodka: effects on hangover, sleep, and next-day neurocognitive performance in young adultsDamaris J Rohsenow
Center for Alcohol and Addiction Studies, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island 02912, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 34:509-18. 2010....
- An open pilot of cognitive-behavioral therapy for insomnia in women with postpartum depressionLeslie M Swanson
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, USA
Behav Sleep Med 11:297-307. 2013..Further evaluation of the treatment using a controlled design is warranted. ..
- Employment and drowsy driving: a survey of American workersLeslie M Swanson
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Behav Sleep Med 10:250-7. 2012..05). Odds ratios for falling asleep behind the wheel were higher in shift workers with symptoms of insomnia or excessive sleepiness relative to day workers and shift workers without sleep complaints (p ≤ .05)...
- Dim light melatonin onset in alcohol-dependent men and women compared with healthy controlsDeirdre A Conroy
Addiction Research Center, Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Chronobiol Int 29:35-42. 2012..Only when capturing melatonin when it is already rising was DLMO found to be significantly delayed by a mean 18 min in AD participants. Future circadian analyses on alcoholics should account for these methodological caveats...
- Sleep homeostasis in alcohol-dependent, depressed and healthy control menKirk J Brower
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, 4250 Plymouth Rd, SPC 5740, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2700, USA
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 261:559-66. 2011..Finding interventions that selectively improve these different components of sleep homeostasis should be a goal of treatment for AD and MDD...
- Treatment adherence and outcomes in flexible vs standard continuous positive airway pressure therapyMark S Aloia
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Brown Medical School, Providence RI, USA
Chest 127:2085-93. 2005..To compare adherence and clinical outcomes between flexible positive airway pressure (PAP) [C-Flex; Respironics; Murraysville, PA] and standard PAP therapy (ie, continuous positive airway pressure [CPAP])...
- Normalization of memory performance and positive airway pressure adherence in memory-impaired patients with obstructive sleep apneaMolly E Zimmerman
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Brown Medical School, Providence, RI, USA
Chest 130:1772-8. 2006....
- A combined group treatment for nightmares and insomnia in combat veterans: a pilot studyLeslie M Swanson
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
J Trauma Stress 22:639-42. 2009..Participants reported improvements in sleep and nightmares following treatment. Future research using controlled designs to evaluate this treatment is warranted...
- Time series analysis of treatment adherence patterns in individuals with obstructive sleep apneaMark S Aloia
Brown Medical School, Providence, RI, USA
Ann Behav Med 36:44-53. 2008..Although treatment adherence is poor in OSA, state-of-the-art adherence monitoring allows a comprehensive examination of objective data...
- Randomized controlled trial of telephone-delivered cognitive behavioral therapy for chronic insomniaJ Todd Arnedt
Sleep and Chronophysiology Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2700, USA
Sleep 36:353-62. 2013..To compare the efficacy of telephone-delivered cognitive-behavioral therapy for insomnia to an information pamphlet control on sleep and daytime functioning at pretreatment, posttreatment, and 12-wk follow-up...
- Effects of Restricted Time in Bed on Antidepressant Treatment Response: A Randomized Controlled TrialJ Todd Arnedt
Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Neurology, Sleep and Circadian Research Laboratory, University of Michigan Medical School, 4250 Plymouth Rd, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2700
J Clin Psychiatry 77:e1218-e1225. 2016..This study compared remission rates and time to remission onset for antidepressant medication delivered adjunctively to nightly time in bed (TIB) restriction of 6 hours or 8 hours for the initial 2 weeks...
- Neuropsychological sequelae of obstructive sleep apnea-hypopnea syndrome: a critical reviewMark S Aloia
Brown Medical School, Providence, Rhode Island 02906, USA
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 10:772-85. 2004..The results are discussed in the context of a neurofunctional theory for the effects of OSAHS on the brain...
- Examining the construct of depression in obstructive sleep apnea syndromeMark S Aloia
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Brown Medical School, Duncan Building, Butler Hospital, 700 Butler Drive, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Sleep Med 6:115-21. 2005..We predicted that the Somatic and Cognitive dimensions of the BDI-II would be more strongly associated with apnea severity and obesity, respectively...
- Insomnia as a Moderator of Response to Time in Bed Restriction for Augmenting Antidepressant Treatment: A Preliminary InvestigationLeslie M Swanson
a Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Behav Sleep Med . 2016..In the present study, we evaluated insomnia as a moderator of response to antidepressant therapy in the context of a sleep manipulation (time in bed restriction) for major depressive disorder...
- Sleep disorders and work performance: findings from the 2008 National Sleep Foundation Sleep in America pollLeslie M Swanson
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, 4250 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Sleep Res 20:487-94. 2011..Risk for sleep disorders substantially increases the likelihood of negative work outcomes, including occupational accidents, absenteeism and presenteeism...
- Preliminary examination of the efficacy and safety of a standardized chamomile extract for chronic primary insomnia: a randomized placebo-controlled pilot studySuzanna M Zick
University of Michigan, Department of Family Medicine, 1018 Fuller Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48104 1213, USA
BMC Complement Altern Med 11:78. 2011..We examined the preliminary efficacy and safety of chamomile for improving subjective sleep and daytime symptoms in patients with chronic insomnia...
- Effects of heavy drinking by maritime academy cadets on hangover, perceived sleep, and next-day ship power plant operationDamaris J Rohsenow
Center for Alcohol and Addictions Studies, Brown University, Box G BH, Providence, Rhode Island 02912, USA
J Stud Alcohol 67:406-15. 2006..Furthermore, it is not known whether the residual effects of alcohol on next-day performance are due to its effects on sleep...
- Investigation of 2 Types of Self-administered Acupressure for Persistent Cancer-Related Fatigue in Breast Cancer Survivors: A Randomized Clinical TrialSuzanna M Zick
Department of Family Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor2Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
JAMA Oncol 2:1470-1476. 2016..Acupressure has reduced fatigue in previous small studies, but rigorous clinical trials are needed...
- Effects of caffeinated vs. non-caffeinated alcoholic beverage on next-day hangover incidence and severity, perceived sleep quality, and alertnessDamaris J Rohsenow
Providence Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Center for Alcohol and Addiction Studies, Brown University, Providence, RI, USA
Addict Behav 39:329-32. 2014..We investigated whether intoxication with caffeinated vs. non-caffeinated beer differentially affected perceived sleep quality, sleepiness, and hangover incidence and severity the next morning...
- Acupressure for persistent cancer-related fatigue in breast cancer survivors (AcuCrft): a study protocol for a randomized controlled trialSuzanna Maria Zick
Department Family Medicine, University of Michigan, 24 Frank Lloyd Wright Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
BMC Complement Altern Med 12:132. 2012....
- Clinical management of poor adherence to CPAP: motivational enhancementMark S Aloia
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Brown Medical School, Butler Hospital, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Behav Sleep Med 2:205-22. 2004..Finally, we outline some strengths and weaknesses of taking a behavior change approach to the problem of poor CPAP adherence...
- Sleep and substance use disorders: an updateDeirdre A Conroy
University of Michigan Department of Psychiatry, 4250 Plymouth Road, SPC 5740, Ann Arbor, MI, 48109 2700, USA
Curr Psychiatry Rep 16:487. 2014..Therapies for insomnia in cannabis disorders are needed. Future research is poised to further address mechanisms of sleep disturbance in alcoholics and the effect of medical marijuana on sleep and daytime functioning. ..
- The incidence and severity of hangover the morning after moderate alcohol intoxicationJonathan Howland
Youth Alcohol Prevention Center, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Addiction 103:758-65. 2008..To determine the incidence and covariates of hangover following a night of moderate alcohol consumption at a targeted breath alcohol level...
- CBT for Insomnia in Patients with Alcohol DependenceJ Todd Arnedt; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..