Affiliation: University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
- Biological role of interleukin 1 receptor antagonist isoformsW P Arend
Division of Rheumatology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, 4200 East Ninth Avenue, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Ann Rheum Dis 59:i60-4. 2000..Restoration of the balance between IL1Ra and IL1 through a variety of approaches is a therapeutic goal in specific chronic inflammatory diseases...
- The development of anticytokine therapeutics for rheumatic diseasesWilliam P Arend
University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO, USA
Arthritis Rheum 58:S102-9. 2008
- Cytokines in the rheumatic diseasesWilliam P Arend
Division of Rheumatology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center B1115, 4200 East Ninth Avenue, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Rheum Dis Clin North Am 30:41-67, v-vi. 2004..This article summarizes the role of cytokines in rheumatic diseases by focusing on each disease and the involved pathways of pathophysiology...
- IL-1, IL-18, and IL-33 families of cytokinesWilliam P Arend
Division of Rheumatology, University of Colorado Denver, School of Medicine, Denver, CO, USA
Immunol Rev 223:20-38. 2008..IL-18 provides an important link between the innate and adaptive immune responses. Newly described IL-33 binds to the orphan IL-1 family receptor T1/ST2 and stimulates T-helper 2 responses as well as mast cells...
- Physiologic role of interleukin-1 receptor antagonistW P Arend
Division of Rheumatology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
Arthritis Res 2:245-8. 2000..Thus, an imbalance between IL-1 and IL-1Ra may predispose to local inflammatory disease in particular tissues in the presence of other as yet unknown genetically influenced factors...
- The mode of action of cytokine inhibitorsWilliam P Arend
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver 80262, USA
J Rheumatol Suppl 65:16-21. 2002..However, these differential actions have not been borne out in clinical trials, where TNF-alpha blockers and anakinra similarly reduce clinical signs and symptoms of RA as well as slow radiographic evidence of disease progression...
- The balance between IL-1 and IL-1Ra in diseaseWilliam P Arend
B115 Division of Rheumatology, Health Sciences Centre, University of Colorado, 4200 East Ninth Avenue, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 13:323-40. 2002..Treatment of RA with daily subcutaneous injections of recombinant IL-1Ra protein has been shown to be efficacious. Gene therapy approaches with IL-1Ra are being evaluated for the treatment of RA and other human diseases...
- Mechanisms of effects of complement inhibition in murine collagen-induced arthritisNirmal K Banda
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Arthritis Rheum 46:3065-75. 2002..To determine the mechanisms of amelioration of collagen-induced arthritis (CIA) in DBA/1J mice by inhibition of complement activation...
- Alternative complement pathway activation is essential for inflammation and joint destruction in the passive transfer model of collagen-induced arthritisNirmal K Banda
Divisions of Rheumatology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
J Immunol 177:1904-12. 2006..The mechanisms by which these target organ-specific mAbs bypass the requirements for engagement of the classical pathway remain to be defined but do not appear to involve a lack of alternative pathway regulatory proteins...
- Intracellular IL-1 receptor antagonist type 1 inhibits IL-1-induced cytokine production in keratinocytes through binding to the third component of the COP9 signalosomeNirmal K Banda
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 20262, USA
J Immunol 174:3608-16. 2005..Thus, icIL-1Ra1 exhibits unique anti-inflammatory properties inside cells through binding to CSN3 with subsequent inhibition of the p38 MAPK signal transduction pathway...
- Enhancement of collagen-induced arthritis in mice genetically deficient in extracellular superoxide dismutaseAron D Ross
National Jewish Medical and Research Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
Arthritis Rheum 50:3702-11. 2004..To examine the influence of superoxide on the severity of collagen-induced arthritis (CIA) in mice...
- Prevention of collagen-induced arthritis in mice transgenic for the complement inhibitor complement receptor 1-related gene/protein yNirmal K Banda
Division of Rheumatology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262 BolderPATH, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
J Immunol 171:2109-15. 2003..These results suggest that suppression of CIA in Crry-Tg mice may be due to enhanced synthesis of Crry locally in the joint with decreased production of proinflammatory cytokines...
- Mice transgenic for intracellular interleukin-1 receptor antagonist type 1 are protected from collagen-induced arthritisGaby Palmer
Division of Rheumatology, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Eur J Immunol 33:434-40. 2003..In conclusion, icIL-1Ra1, which is released into the extracellular space when produced in high amounts, has a similar anti-arthritic effect as sIL-1Ra...
- Mechanisms of inhibition of collagen-induced arthritis by murine IL-18 binding proteinNirmal K Banda
Division of Rheumatology, Health Sciences Center, University of Colorado School of Medicine, 4200 East Ninth Avenue, Denver, CO 80262, USA
J Immunol 170:2100-5. 2003..The mechanisms of mIL-18BP inhibition of CIA include reductions in cell-mediated and humoral immunity to collagen as well as decreases in production of proinflammatory cytokines in the spleen and joints...
- Generation and characterization of mice transgenic for human IL-18-binding protein isoform aGiamila Fantuzzi
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
J Leukoc Biol 74:889-96. 2003..These results indicate that high endogenous levels of IL-18BP in trangenic mice effectively neutralize IL-18 and are protective in response to different inflammatory stimuli...
- Intracellular IL-1Ra type 1 inhibits IL-1-induced IL-6 and IL-8 production in Caco-2 intestinal epithelial cells through inhibition of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase and NF-kappaB pathwaysChrystelle Garat
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center B115, 4200 East Ninth Avenue, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Cytokine 23:31-40. 2003..This intracellular anti-inflammatory activity of icIL-1Ra1 was mediated through inhibition of p38 MAP kinase and NF-kappaB signal transduction pathways...
- Antibodies against citrullinated proteins enhance tissue injury in experimental autoimmune arthritisKristine A Kuhn
Department of Immunology and Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
J Clin Invest 116:961-73. 2006..These results demonstrate that antibodies against citrullinated proteins are centrally involved in the pathogenesis of autoimmune arthritis...
- Rheumatoid factor seropositivity is inversely associated with oral contraceptive use in women without rheumatoid arthritisShailaja S Bhatia
Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Denver, 4200 East Ninth Avenue, Box B119, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Ann Rheum Dis 66:267-9. 2007..To examine whether oral contraceptive use is associated with the presence of serum rheumatoid factor in women of reproductive age without rheumatoid arthritis...
- Pathogenic complement activation in collagen antibody-induced arthritis in mice requires amplification by the alternative pathwayNirmal K Banda
Division of Rheumatology B115, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Immunol 179:4101-9. 2007..These results indicate that the alternative pathway amplification loop, with its ability to greatly enhance C3 activation, is necessary to mediate inflammatory arthritis induced by adherent immune complexes...
- IL1 RECEPTOR ANTAGONIST INTRACELLULAR VARIANTSWILLIAM AREND; Fiscal Year: 2003..Not only does sIL-1Ra inhibit the binding of IL-1 to cell surface receptors, but they hypothesize that the intracellular isoforms of IL-1Ra will exhibit additional antiinflammatory effect inside cells. ..