V M Aquino
Affiliation: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
- Predictive value of interleukin-5 and monocyte chemotactic protein-1 for bacteremia in children with febrile neutropeniaVictor M Aquino
Department of Pediatrics, Divisions of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, TX 75290 9063, USA
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 34:e241-5. 2012..Prospective studies should be undertaken to determine whether these parameters retain predictive value in a larger series of patients and can select children for outpatient management or early discharge...
- A double-blind randomized placebo-controlled study of oral glutamine in the prevention of mucositis in children undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: a pediatric blood and marrow transplant consortium studyV M Aquino
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 36:611-6. 2005..Glutamine appears to be safe and beneficial in reducing the severity of mucositis. Strong consideration should be given to include oral glutamine supplementation as a routine part of supportive care of SCT patients...
- Phase I trial of tirapazamine and cyclophosphamide in children with refractory solid tumors: a pediatric oncology group studyVictor M Aquino
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, TX, USA
J Clin Oncol 22:1413-9. 2004..To determine the dose limiting toxicity (DLT), maximum-tolerated dose (MTD), and pharmacokinetic profile of tirapazamine (Sanofi Synthelabo Research, Malvern, PA) combined with cyclophosphamide in children with recurrent solid tumors...
- Evaluation of thymic output by measurement of T-cell-receptor gene rearrangement excisional circles (TREC) in patients who have received fludarabineVictor M Aquino
Department of Pediatrics, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center of Dallas, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390 9063, USA
Leuk Lymphoma 44:343-8. 2003..The thymus appears to play a role in immune recovery in adults after receiving chemotherapy...
- Phase I study of oral cyclophosphamide and oral topotecan for children with recurrent or refractory solid tumorsDaniel C Bowers
Department of Pediatrics, UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, Texas 75390 9063, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 42:93-8. 2004..To determine the maximum-tolerated duration and dose-limiting toxicity of a daily schedule of orally administered cyclophosphamide and topotecan in pediatric patients with recurrent or refractory malignant solid tumors...
- Rapidly fatal acute bacterial myocarditis in a nonneutropenic child with acute lymphoblastic leukemia in remissionDouglas J Scothorn
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Hematology Oncology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 9063, USA
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 24:662-5. 2002..Acute bacterial myocarditis in patients with malignancy has been rarely reported. The rapid clinical deterioration and death in the patient in this report is particularly interesting...
- Clinical parameters associated with low bacteremia risk in 1100 pediatric oncology patients with fever and neutropeniaE P Baorto
Department of Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO 63110, USA
Cancer 92:909-13. 2001..Patients with fever and neutropenia and an AMC value of > or = 155 cells per mm(3) have the lowest risk for bacteremia and may be potential candidates for outpatient management...
- Secondary myelodysplasia with monosomy 7 arising after treatment for acute lymphoblastic leukemia in childhoodV M Aquino
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235-9063, USA
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 23:48-50. 2001..This report emphasizes the need to identify and minimize therapy-related side effects without compromising cure rates...
- Acute myelogenous leukemiaVictor M Aquino
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, Texas, USA
Curr Probl Pediatr Adolesc Health Care 32:50-8. 2002
- A prospective double-blind randomized trial of urokinase flushes to prevent bacteremia resulting from luminal colonization of subcutaneous central venous cathetersVictor M Aquino
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 9063, USA
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 24:710-3. 2002..This study was undertaken to determine if central venous catheter (CVC)-related infection in children with cancer could be prevented by monthly flushing of the catheter with urokinase...
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) initiation without intubation in two children with mediastinal malignancyJonathan E Wickiser
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas and Children s Medical Center of Dallas, Dallas, Texas, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 49:751-4. 2007..Results are presented on the use of ECMO as a primary means of stabilizing a pediatric patient with a critical mediastinal mass, thus providing another management strategy for this difficult situation...
- Unusual immunophenotype of CD8+ T cells in familial hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosisNitin J Karandikar
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 75390 9072, USA
Blood 104:2007-9. 2004..This case provides an instructive example of uncontrolled reactive proliferation of CD8+ T cells in FHL, resulting in atypical morphology and unusual immunophenotypic features that might suggest malignancy in other clinical settings...