Affiliation: University of California
- Mucosal gene therapy using a pseudotyped lentivirus vector encoding murine interleukin-10 (mIL-10) suppresses the development and relapse of experimental murine colitisHiroshi Matsumoto
Magee Womens Research Institute, Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
BMC Gastroenterol 14:68. 2014..This study investigates the safety and therapeutic benefit of a locally administered lentiviral vector encoding murine interleukin-10 in altering the onset and relapse of dextran sodium sulfate induced murine colitis...
- RMP-02/MTN-006: A phase 1 rectal safety, acceptability, pharmacokinetic, and pharmacodynamic study of tenofovir 1% gel compared with oral tenofovir disoproxil fumaratePeter A Anton
Center for HIV Prevention Research, UCLA AIDS Institute, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 28:1412-21. 2012..On the basis of increased gastrointestinal AEs, rectally applied, vaginally formulated TFV was not entirely safe or acceptable, suggesting the need for alternative rectal-specific formulations...
- Future prospects and perspectives on microbicidesPeter A Anton
David Geffen School of Medicine and Center for HIV Prevention Research, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Curr HIV Res 10:113-5. 2012..These current and future efforts will provide potential insights earlier that at Phase IIb or III in the development pipeline...
- Effective in vivo and ex vivo gene transfer to intestinal mucosa by VSV-G-pseudotyped lentiviral vectorsHiroshi Matsumoto
Magee Womens Research Institute, Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
BMC Gastroenterol 10:44. 2010....
- Rectal microbicides: clinically relevant approach to the design of rectal specific placebo formulationsLin Wang
Magee Womens Research Institute, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
AIDS Res Ther 8:12. 2011..Lipid formulations were developed from lipid solvent/lipid gelling agent binary mixtures. Testing included pharmaceutical function and stability as well as in vitro and in vivo toxicity...
- Differential immunogenicity of vaccinia and HIV-1 components of a human recombinant vaccine in mucosal and blood compartmentsPeter A Anton
Center for Prevention Research and the UCLA AIDS Institute, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, USA
Vaccine 26:4617-23. 2008..Although only eight volunteers were studied intensively, the discordance between mucosal and blood responses may highlight mechanisms contributing to recent vaccine failures...
- First phase 1 double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized rectal microbicide trial using UC781 gel with a novel index of ex vivo efficacyPeter A Anton
Center for HIV Prevention Research, UCLA AIDS Institute, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e23243. 2011..A first-in-Phase 1 assessment of preliminary pharmacodynamics was included by measuring changes in ex vivo HIV-1 suppression in rectal biopsy tissue after exposure to product in vivo...
- HIV transmission: time for translational studies to bridge the gapPeter Anton
Center for HIV Prevention Research, Division of Digestive Diseases and UCLA AIDS Institute, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Sci Transl Med 3:77ps11. 2011..Furthermore, beyond its defined study end points, this well-conducted trial identified new research directions that should be pursued in smaller intensive basic and translational studies...
- Order of orifices: sequence of condom use and ejaculation by orifice during anal intercourse among women: implications for HIV transmissionPamina M Gorbach
Department of Epidemiology, Fielding School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, CA Division of Infectious Diseases, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA Division of Global Public Health, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, CA Department of Mathematics and Statistics, California State University, Chico Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD and AIDS Research Alliance, Los Angeles, CA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 67:424-9. 2014..For women, the order of penile insertion, condom use, and ejaculation by orifice during sexual events affects the probability of HIV transmission and design of HIV prevention methods...
- Increased HIV-1 mucosal replication is associated with generalized mucosal cytokine activationIan McGowan
Center for HIV and Digestive Diseases, Division of Digestive Diseases, University of California at Los Angeles AIDS Institute, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 37:1228-36. 2004..The pathologic basis for these observations is unclear but may relate to the success or failure of antiretroviral therapy in controlling mucosal viral replication...
- Impact of health beliefs, quality of life, and the physician-patient relationship on the treatment intentions of inflammatory bowel disease patientsAmy B Goldring
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles 90095 1563, USA
Health Psychol 21:219-28. 2002..8% of the variance in medication-taking intention. Findings suggest that an integrative consideration of relationship factors, health beliefs, and health status may help explain treatment intentions among the chronically ill...
- HIV-1 Nef sequence and functional compartmentalization in the gut is not due to differential cytotoxic T lymphocyte selective pressureMartha J Lewis
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California, United States of America UCLA AIDS Institute, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e75620. 2013..The finding of a functionally distinct population within gut mucosa offers some insight into how HIV-1 may persist in the gut despite fully suppressed plasma viremia on cART. ..
- Use of the location-based social networking application GRINDR as a recruitment tool in rectal microbicide development researchEarl R Burrell
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of California Los Angeles, 650 Charles E Young Drive South, 41 295 Center for Health Sciences, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
AIDS Behav 16:1816-20. 2012..88 vs. 1.10, p < 0.05) than other recruits. Email responses were less successful for enrollment than phone calls (5 vs. 50 %). This approach resulted in successful recruitment of younger and more educated, White identified MSM...
- The slippery slope: lubricant use and rectal sexually transmitted infections: a newly identified riskPamina M Gorbach
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Sex Transm Dis 39:59-64. 2012..Use of lubricant products is extremely common during receptive anal intercourse (RAI) yet has not been assessed as a risk for acquisition of sexually transmitted infections (STIs)...
- Modeling the potential impact of rectal microbicides to reduce hiv transmission in bathhousesRomulus Breban
Department of Biomathematics, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California, 90024 USA
Math Biosci Eng 3:459-66. 2006..Our modeling analyses show that even moderately effective rectal microbicides could be very effective prevention tools for reducing transmission in bathhouses and also potentially limit the spread of HIV in the community...
- Rectal microbicidesIan McGowan
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Curr Opin HIV AIDS 3:593-8. 2008..This review will summarize the rationale for developing rectal microbicides and discuss recent developments in the preclinical and clinical evaluation of these products...
- Binding and transfer of human immunodeficiency virus by DC-SIGN+ cells in human rectal mucosaKevin B Gurney
Dept of Medicine, Division of Digestive Diseases, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, 2734 MRL, 675 Charles E Young Dr South, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7019, USA
J Virol 79:5762-73. 2005..DC-SIGN and the IL-10/IL-12 axis may play significant roles in the mucosal transmission and pathogenesis of HIV type 1...
- Transience of vaccine-induced HIV-1-specific CTL and definition of vaccine "response"Beth D Jamieson
UCLA AIDS Institute and Department of Medicine, Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA Medical Center, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, and Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02114, USA
Vaccine 24:3426-31. 2006....
- A phase II randomized study of HIV-specific T-cell gene therapy in subjects with undetectable plasma viremia on combination antiretroviral therapySteven G Deeks
University of California, San Francisco, California 94110, USA
Mol Ther 5:788-97. 2002..Both groups experienced a treatment-related increase in CD4(+) T-cell counts...
- Mucosal immunity and vaccination against HIVThomas Lehner
Guy s, King s and St Thomas Medical School, Guy s Hospital, London SE1 9RT, England
AIDS 16:S125-32. 2002
- Multiple measures of HIV burden in blood and tissue are correlated with each other but not with clinical parameters in aviremic subjectsPeter A Anton
University of California, Los Angeles, the San Francisco General Hospital, San Francisco, California, USA
AIDS 17:53-63. 2003..To determine the levels of residual HIV DNA and RNA in blood and gut reservoirs in aviremic patients, assess correlations among compartmental measurements of HIV burden, and evaluate association with clinical parameters...
- Optimization of methods to assess human mucosal T-cell responses to HIV infectionBarbara L Shacklett
Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Immunol Methods 279:17-31. 2003..Taken together, these methods will be useful for studies of mucosal immunity to HIV-1 and other pathogens during natural infection and following vaccination...
- Challenges for HIV vaccine dissemination and clinical trial recruitment: if we build it, will they come?Peter A Newman
Faculty of Social Work, Centre for Applied Social Research, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
AIDS Patient Care STDS 18:691-701. 2004..Social marketing interventions may increase future HIV vaccine uptake and clinical trial participation, and mitigate increases in HIV risk behaviors...
- Parallel human immunodeficiency virus type 1-specific CD8+ T-lymphocyte responses in blood and mucosa during chronic infectionF Javier Ibarrondo
UCLA AIDS Institute, Department of Medicine, Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Virol 79:4289-97. 2005..For protective or immunotherapeutic vaccination, it will be important to determine whether immunity is elicited in the mucosa, which is a key site of initial infection and subsequent HIV-1 replication in vivo...
- An oral supplement enriched with fish oil, soluble fiber, and antioxidants for corticosteroid sparing in ulcerative colitis: a randomized, controlled trialDouglas L Seidner
Department of Gastroenterology A30, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:358-69. 2005....
- Characterization of baseline intestinal mucosal indices of injury and inflammation in men for use in rectal microbicide trials (HIV Prevention Trials Network-056)Ian McGowan
Center for Prevention Research in the Division of Digestive Diseases, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of Clifornia, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 46:417-25. 2007..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the biologic stability of mucosal parameters that might be used as endpoints in phase 1 rectal safety studies...
- Lack of decay of HIV-1 in gut-associated lymphoid tissue reservoirs in maximally suppressed individualsMichael A Poles
Center for Prevention Research at David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles AIDS Institute, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 43:65-8. 2006..In well-suppressed patients on highly active antiretroviral therapy, the GALT compartment showed no clear pattern of HIV-1 decay, similar to that in the PBMCs...
- IMPACT OF CO-RECEPTOR AND HIV VIRAL BURDEN ON GUT MUCOSAPeter Anton; Fiscal Year: 2004..b>Peter Anton, to pursue clinical research on the quantification of mucosal viral loads and the characterization of ..
- Role of Immunization Site in Eliciting Mucosal ImmunityPeter Anton; Fiscal Year: 2004....