Genomes and Genes
CAROLINE MARGARET ALEXANDER
Affiliation: University of Wisconsin
- Wnt signaling in mammary glands: plastic cell fates and combinatorial signalingCaroline M Alexander
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53706 1599, USA
Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol 4:. 2012....
- Genotoxic exposure during juvenile growth of mammary gland depletes stem cell activity and inhibits Wnt signalingKristine S Klos
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, Wisconsin, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e49902. 2012..Our conclusion may be important for other tissues, since all solid tumor stem cell activities have been shown to be Wnt-dependent to date...
- A phenotypic mouse model of basaloid breast tumorsSoyoung Kim
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e30979. 2012..Given the ability to separate basal and luminal cells, and the discovery potential of this approach, we propose that this mouse model could be a convenient one for preclinical studies...
- Differentiation generates paracrine cell pairs that maintain basaloid mouse mammary tumors: proof of conceptSoyoung Kim
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
PLoS ONE 6:e19310. 2011....
- The Wnt receptor, Lrp5, is expressed by mouse mammary stem cells and is required to maintain the basal lineageNisha M Badders
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI, USA
PLoS ONE 4:e6594. 2009..The Wnt signaling receptors, Lrp5/6, are uniquely required for canonical Wnt activity. Previous data has shown that the absence of Lrp5 confers resistance to Wnt1-induced tumor development...
- Fully interlocking: a story of teamwork among breast epithelial cellsCaroline M Alexander
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research, School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53706, USA Electronic address
Dev Cell 28:114-5. 2014..Do all mammary epithelial cells both give and take instructions from others to create the milk production machinery? ..
- Wnt signaling induces differentiation of progenitor cells in organotypic keratinocyte culturesMarni A Slavik
McArdle Lab for Cancer Research, University of Wisconsin Medical School Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
BMC Dev Biol 7:9. 2007..Wnt signaling has been shown to be an important growth-inducer of stem cell compartments in skin and many other tissues...
- Wnt4 is not sufficient to induce lobuloalveolar mammary developmentYoung Chul Kim
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research, School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Wisconsin Madison, Wisconsin, USA
BMC Dev Biol 9:55. 2009..Therefore, we generated conditional transgenic mice to test whether Wnt4 can stimulate mammary epithelial cell growth...
- Syndecan-1 is required for Wnt-1-induced mammary tumorigenesis in miceC M Alexander
Division of Newborn Medicine, Childrens Hospital, Enders 950, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Genet 25:329-32. 2000..Our results provide both genetic and biochemical evidence that syndecan-1 can modulate Wnt signalling, and is critical for Wnt-1-induced tumorigenesis of the mouse mammary gland...
- Stromelysin-1 regulates adipogenesis during mammary gland involutionC M Alexander
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, Wisconsin 53706 1599, USA
J Cell Biol 152:693-703. 2001..We conclude that MMPs, especially Str1, determine the rate of adipocyte differentiation during involutive mammary gland remodeling...
- Separating stem cells by flow cytometry: reducing variability for solid tissuesCaroline M Alexander
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Cell Stem Cell 5:579-83. 2009..In our view, clear reporting guidelines could improve reproducibility of stem cell analyses in solid tissues...
- Base behavior behind budding breasts: integrins and mammary stem cell activityCaroline M Alexander
McArdle Lab for Cancer Research, University of Wisconsin, 1400 University Avenue, Madison WI 53706, USA
Cell Stem Cell 3:5-6. 2008..2008) reveal that deletion of beta1 integrin from K5-expressing mammary epithelial basal cells specifically attenuates ductal stem cell activity, without dramatically altering the basal cell layer, or morphogenesis overall...
- Juvenile syndecan-1 null mice are protected from carcinogen-induced tumor developmentS P McDermott
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research, University of Wisconsin Madison Medical School, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Oncogene 26:1407-16. 2007..Both observations imply that the DMBA-induced tumor precursor cells are drawn from the stem/progenitor fraction, and we suggest that pathogenic activation of these cells could be abnormal in Sdc1-/- mice...
- Simulating mouse mammary gland development: cell ageing and its relation to stem and progenitor activityA Paguirigan
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Cell Prolif 40:106-24. 2007..Each division is accompanied by a risk of fixing genetic mutations, and/or generating innately immortal cells that escape normal physiological controls...
- The transforming activity of Wnt effectors correlates with their ability to induce the accumulation of mammary progenitor cellsBob Y Liu
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research, University of Wisconsin Medical School, 1400 University Avenue, Madison, WI 53706 1599, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:4158-63. 2004..We propose that the growth dynamic of the stem cell fraction is a major determinant of tumor susceptibility...
- Induction of syndecan-1 expression in stromal fibroblasts promotes proliferation of human breast cancer cellsTakashi Maeda
Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Service, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Cancer Res 64:612-21. 2004..In conclusion, we have demonstrated that a growth-promoting loop exists between breast cancer cells and their stroma that depends on the activity of glycanated Sdc1...
- Mammary gland development requires syndecan-1 to create a beta-catenin/TCF-responsive mammary epithelial subpopulationBob Y Liu
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research, University of Wisconsin Medical School, 1400 University Ave, Madison, WI, USA
Oncogene 22:9243-53. 2003....
- Site-specific inductive and inhibitory activities of MMP-2 and MMP-3 orchestrate mammary gland branching morphogenesisBryony S Wiseman
Department of Anatomy, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0452, USA
J Cell Biol 162:1123-33. 2003..Nevertheless, the mammary gland is able to develop lactational competence in MMP mutant mice. Thus, specific MMPs refine the mammary branching pattern by distinct mechanisms during mammary gland branching morphogenesis...
- The Wnt signaling receptor Lrp5 is required for mammary ductal stem cell activity and Wnt1-induced tumorigenesisCharlotta Lindvall
Laboratory of Cell Signaling and Carcinogenesis, Van Andel Research Institute, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503, USA
J Biol Chem 281:35081-7. 2006..These findings suggest that Lrp5-mediated canonical signaling is required for mammary ductal stem cell activity and for tumor development in response to oncogenic Wnt effectors...