Ellen L Air
Affiliation: University of Cincinnati
- Acute third ventricular administration of insulin decreases food intake in two paradigmsEllen L Air
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 72:423-9. 2002..These data suggest that insulin can reduce food intake in acute delivery paradigms and provide another means by which to assess the roles of other central systems in the mediation of insulin's effects on energy homeostasis...
- Increased dietary fat attenuates the anorexic effects of intracerebroventricular injections of MTIIDeborah J Clegg
Department of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, PO Box 670559, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0559, USA
Endocrinology 144:2941-6. 2003..These results indicate that consumption of a HF diet decreases signaling through the melanocortin system, an abnormality that could contribute to diet-induced obesity...
- Two novel paradigms for the simultaneous assessment of conditioned taste aversion and food intake effects of anorexic agentsStephen C Benoit
Department of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, P O Box 670559, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
Physiol Behav 79:761-6. 2003..These results suggest that both the appetitive and aversive consequences of anorexic agents can be assessed simultaneously during either acute or chronic drug administration...
- The catabolic action of insulin in the brain is mediated by melanocortinsStephen C Benoit
Department of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati, College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 0559, USA
J Neurosci 22:9048-52. 2002..These data suggest that the hypothalamic melanocortin system mediates the anorexic effects of central insulin, as well as of leptin...
- Insulin and leptin combine additively to reduce food intake and body weight in ratsEllen L Air
Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 0555, USA
Endocrinology 143:2449-52. 2002....
- Intraventricular melanin-concentrating hormone stimulates water intake independent of food intakeDeborah J Clegg
Department of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 284:R494-9. 2003..Hence, in contrast to AgRP, MCH elicits increased water intake independent of food intake. These results are consistent with historical data linking activity of the LH with water as well as food intake...
- Small molecule insulin mimetics reduce food intake and body weight and prevent development of obesityEllen L Air
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Cell Biology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Nat Med 8:179-83. 2002..Thus, insulin mimetics have a unique advantage over insulin in the control of body weight and hold potential as a novel anti-obesity treatment...
- Acute 3rd-ventricular amylin infusion potently reduces food intake but does not produce aversive consequencesPaul A Rushing
Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0559, USA
Peptides 23:985-8. 2002..In summary, these data are consistent with the conclusion that acute i3vt amylin infusion does not reduce food intake by producing aversive consequences...
- Eating elicited by orexin-a, but not melanin-concentrating hormone, is opioid mediatedDeborah J Clegg
Department of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, PO Box 670559 Cincinnati, OH 45267 0559, USA
Endocrinology 143:2995-3000. 2002..These data indicate that despite several similarities between MCH and orexin-A, these two lateral hypothalamic area peptides stimulate food intake by recruiting different neural circuits and exert different effects on food choice...