Kurt B Stevenson
Affiliation: The Ohio State University
- Genetic relatedness and molecular characterization of multidrug resistant Acinetobacter baumannii isolated in central Ohio, USAVijaya B Srinivasan
Department of Veterinary Preventive Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Columbus, Ohio, USA
Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 8:21. 2009..The aim of the present study was to determine the clonal relatedness of clinical isolates and to elucidate the genetic basis of imipenem resistance...
- Administrative coding data, compared with CDC/NHSN criteria, are poor indicators of health care-associated infectionsKurt B Stevenson
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus, OH 4320, USA
Am J Infect Control 36:155-64. 2008..ICD-9-CM coding alone has been proposed as a method of surveillance for health care-associated infections (HAIs). The accuracy of this method, however, relative to accepted infection control criteria is not known...
- Impact of formulary restriction with prior authorization by an antimicrobial stewardship programErica E Reed
Department of Pharmacy, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, OH, USA
Virulence 4:158-62. 2013....
- Molecular and Clinical Characteristics of Hospital and Community Onset Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Strains Associated with Bloodstream InfectionsShu Hua Wang
The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, Ohio, USA
J Clin Microbiol 53:1599-608. 2015..In order to decrease rates of MRSA infection, preventive efforts need to be directed toward patients in the community with health care-associated risk factors in addition to inpatient infection control. ..
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus sequence type 239-III, Ohio, USA, 2007-2009Shu Hua Wang
Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 18:1557-65. 2012..The crude case-fatality rate was 22% (17/78). Identification of these strains, which belong to a virulent clonal group, emphasizes the need for molecular surveillance...
- Is the "low-hanging fruit" worth picking for antimicrobial stewardship programs?Debra A Goff
Department of Pharmacy, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, 43210, USA
Clin Infect Dis 55:587-92. 2012....
- Assessing specific secondary ICD-9-CM codes as potential predictors of surgical site infectionsJessica West
Division of Infectious Diseases, College of Medicine, The Ohio State University, 410 West 10th Ave, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Am J Infect Control 38:701-5. 2010..This study aims to determine whether specific secondary ICD-9-CM infection codes linked to cases from a large data set of surgical procedures are predictors of surgical site infections (SSIs)...
- Effect of body mass index and device type on infection in left ventricular assist device support beyond 30 daysStanley I Martin
Division of Infectious Diseases, The Ohio State University Medical Center, N1148 Doan Hall, 410 West 10th Ave, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 11:20-3. 2010..BMI, including morbid obesity, does not appear to be a statistically significant relevant factor in determining that risk. Device type may have an effect, however, on risk of infection in long-term support...
- An antimicrobial stewardship program's impact with rapid polymerase chain reaction methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus/S. aureus blood culture test in patients with S. aureus bacteremiaKarri A Bauer
Department of Pharmacy, The Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Clin Infect Dis 51:1074-80. 2010..07) and the mean hospital costs were $21,387 less (P = .02). rPCR allows rapid differentiation of S. aureus bacteremia, enabling timely, effective therapy and is associated with decreased length of stay and health care costs...
- Independent risk factors for infection in tissue expander breast reconstructionStacey H Francis
Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of General Surgery, Center for Biostatistics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43212, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 124:1790-6. 2009..It is hypothesized that certain patient characteristics are associated with an increased infection rate...
- Early experience with tigecycline for ventilator-associated pneumonia and bacteremia caused by multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumanniiJason J Schafer
Department of Pharmacy, The Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus, Ohio, USA
Pharmacotherapy 27:980-7. 2007..To evaluate early experience with tigecycline alone or in combination with other antimicrobials for treatment of ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP) and/or bacteremia caused by multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii...
- Outbreak of hemodialysis vascular access site infections related to malfunctioning permanent tunneled catheters: making the case for active infection surveillanceElizabeth L Hannah
PRO West, Boise, ID 83712 7756, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 23:538-41. 2002..To describe an outbreak of infections with permanent cuffed hemodialysis catheters recognized through ongoing surveillance and related to a specific malfunctioning permanent catheter...
- Performance improvement in the long-term-care setting: building on the foundation of infection controlKurt B Stevenson
Qualis Health, Boise, Idaho 83712 7756, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 25:72-9. 2004..Furthermore, efforts should continue to apply these principles at the local level to ensure that all residents of LTCFs receive the best care possible...
- Pneumococcal immunization in older adults: implications for the long-term-care settingMark Loeb
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University and Hamilton Regional Laboratory Program, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 25:985-94. 2004..To compare the efficacy of the polysaccharide pneumococcal vaccine in older adults between clinical trial and observational studies and to discuss the implications for long-term-care facilities (LTCFs)...
- Validity of the minimum data set in identifying urinary tract infections in residents of long-term care facilitiesKurt B Stevenson
Qualis Health, Boise, Idaho, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:707-11. 2004..To determine the validity of the Minimum Data Set (MDS) to detect cases of urinary tract infection (UTI) that meet specific evidence-based criteria...
- Assessing the status of infection control programs in small rural hospitals in the western United StatesKurt B Stevenson
Qualis Health, Boise, Idaho 83712 7756, USA
Am J Infect Control 32:255-61. 2004..Rural community hospitals, although contributing significantly to the US health care system, have rarely been assessed regarding the nature and quality of their IC programs...
- Bacterial contamination of stethoscopes with antimicrobial diaphragm coversMark W Wood
Respiratory Therapy Department, Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center, Boise, ID 83706, USA
Am J Infect Control 35:263-6. 2007..0001). We question the practical utility of the antimicrobial diaphragm covers evaluated in this study for reducing the surface colonization of potentially harmful microorganisms...
- Standardized infection surveillance in long-term care: interfacility comparisons from a regional cohort of facilitiesKurt B Stevenson
Qualis Health, Boise, Idaho, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 26:231-8. 2005..To measure infection rates in a regional cohort of long-term-care facilities (LTCFs) using standard surveillance methods and to analyze different methods for interfacility comparisons...
- Epidemiology of hemodialysis vascular access infections from longitudinal infection surveillance data: predicting the impact of NKF-DOQI clinical practice guidelines for vascular accessKurt B Stevenson
PRO West, LLC, Boise, ID 83712 7756, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 39:549-55. 2002..Furthermore, they strongly support the role of these NKF-DOQI guidelines in preventing infectious complications attributed to vascular access...