Genomes and Genes
K S Srivenugopal
Affiliation: The University of Texas
- The DNA repair protein, O(6)-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase is a proteolytic target for the E6 human papillomavirus oncoproteinKalkunte S Srivenugopal
Section of Molecular Therapeutics, Department of Neurosurgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030 4009, USA
Oncogene 21:5940-5. 2002..The MGMT protein also showed structural features that are compatible for interaction with the E6, and E6-AP components. Collectively, these data suggest that the oncogenic E6 proteins enhance the ubiquitin-dependent proteolysis of MGMT...
- Phosphorylation of O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase: experience with a GST-fusion protein and a new pull-down assayKalkunte S Srivenugopal
Department of Neurosurgery, Box 64, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cancer Lett 181:87-93. 2002..Our observations call for caution in interpreting the results with GST-fusion proteins in phosphorylation studies...
- Protein phosphorylation is a regulatory mechanism for O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase in human brain tumor cellsK S Srivenugopal
Department of Neurosurgery, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Cancer Res 60:282-7. 2000..These data provide the first and conclusive evidence of AGT phosphorylation and suggest that reversible phosphorylation may control the activity of this therapeutically important DNA repair protein in human normal and cancer cells...
- Enforced expression of wild-type p53 curtails the transcription of the O(6)-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase gene in human tumor cells and enhances their sensitivity to alkylating agentsK S Srivenugopal
Department of Neurosurgery, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Clin Cancer Res 7:1398-409. 2001..Thus, our study exposes an additional benefit associated with p53 gene therapy and provides a strong biochemical rationale for combining the MGMT-directed alkylators with p53 gene transfer to achieve improved antitumor efficacy...
- Ubiquitination-dependent proteolysis of O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase in human and murine tumor cells following inactivation with O6-benzylguanine or 1,3-bis(2-chloroethyl)-1-nitrosoureaK S Srivenugopal
Department of Experimental Pediatrics, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Biochemistry 35:1328-34. 1996..These results provide conclusive evidence that the MGMT protein, following its inactivation, is degraded via the ubiquitin proteolytic pathway...
- Activity and distribution of the cysteine prodrug activating enzyme, 5-oxo-L-prolinase, in human normal and tumor tissuesK S Srivenugopal
Department of Experimental Pediatrics, University of Texas, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Cancer Lett 117:105-11. 1997..005). These higher normal tissue/tumor OPase ratios suggest that OTC may be useful in decreasing normal tissue toxicity, at least, for some tissues during cancer therapy...
- Human p53 is inhibited by glutathionylation of cysteines present in the proximal DNA-binding domain during oxidative stressChinavenmeni S Velu
Anticancer Resistance Research Group, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Amarillo, Texas 79106, USA
Biochemistry 46:7765-80. 2007....
- Promoter methylation and silencing of the tissue factor pathway inhibitor-2 (TFPI-2), a gene encoding an inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinases in human glioma cellsSanthi D Konduri
Program of Cancer Biology, University of Illinois, Peoria, IL 61656, USA
Oncogene 22:4509-16. 2003..These studies establish that TFPI-2 is transcriptionally silenced through promoter methylation in SNB19 cells...
- RNF2 interacts with the linker region of the human P-glycoproteinPrema S Rao
The Anticancer Resistance Research Group and the Center for Cancer Biology, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Amarillo, TX 79106, USA
Int J Oncol 29:1413-9. 2006..We suggest that RNF2 regulates the cellular abundance of Pgp, and plays a key role in the development of cancer drug resistance through its own down-regulation...
- SPAN-XB core promoter sequence is regulated in myeloma cells by specific CpG dinucleotides associated with the MeCP2 proteinZhiqing Wang
Division of Hematology and Oncology, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Amarillo, TX, USA
Int J Cancer 119:2878-84. 2006..We, therefore, conclude that SPAN-XB core promoter function in myeloma cells is associated with MeCP2 protein binding and regulated by specific CpG dinucleotide sequences...
- Chemopreventative strategies targeting the MGMT repair protein: augmented expression in human lymphocytes and tumor cells by ethanolic and aqueous extracts of several Indian medicinal plantsSuryakant K Niture
Center for Cancer Biology, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Amarillo, TX 79106, USA
Int J Oncol 29:1269-78. 2006..Further, they reveal the putative antioxidant responsiveness of the MGMT gene in human cells...
- Increased expression of the MGMT repair protein mediated by cysteine prodrugs and chemopreventative natural products in human lymphocytes and tumor cell linesSuryakant K Niture
Anticancer Resistance Research Group, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center 1400 Wallace Boulevard, Amarillo, TX 79106, USA
Carcinogenesis 28:378-89. 2007..These findings raise the possibility of MGMT-targeted chemoprevention strategies through dietary supplementation of OTC and herbal antioxidants. Further, the studies reveal the antioxidant responsiveness of the human MGMT gene...
- S-thiolation mimicry: quantitative and kinetic analysis of redox status of protein cysteines by glutathione-affinity chromatographySuryakant K Niture
Center for Cancer Biology, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Amarillo, 79106, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 444:174-84. 2005..Our study reveals the hitherto underutilized ability of glutathione matrices for analyzing the kinetics of cysteine redox in cellular proteins and allows easy identification of S-thiolatable proteins...
- Proteomic analysis of human O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase by affinity chromatography and tandem mass spectrometrySuryakant K Niture
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Amarillo, TX 79106, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 337:1176-84. 2005..These data, for the first time, suggest that human MGMT is likely to have additional functions, possibly, in sensing and integrating the DNA damage/repair-related signals with replication, cell cycle progression, and genomic stability...
- Human Dkk-1, a gene encoding a Wnt antagonist, responds to DNA damage and its overexpression sensitizes brain tumor cells to apoptosis following alkylation damage of DNAJiang Shou
Department of Neurosurgery, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Road, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Oncogene 21:878-89. 2002..These results show that hDkk-1 is a pro-apoptotic gene and suggest that it may play important roles in linking the oncogenic Wnt and p53 tumor suppressor pathways...
- In vitro antitumor cytotoxic T lymphocyte response induced by dendritic cells transduced with DeltaNp73alpha recombinant adenovirusYijie Hu
Thoracic Surgery Center of People s Liberation Army, Daping Hospital, The Third Military Medical University, Changjiang Street 10, Daping, Chongqing 400042, P R China
Oncol Rep 18:1085-91. 2007..These findings, with potential applications for immunotherapy, demonstrate that dendrocytes transduced with Ad-DNp73alpha can induce specific and sustained T cell responses against tumors expressing this variant p53-related gene...