Affiliation: The Ohio State University
- Current therapies for prophylaxis of pediatric migraineAnn Pakalnis
Ohio State University, Columbus Children s Hospital, 700 Children s Drive, Columbus, OH 43206, USA
Expert Rev Neurother 2:555-9. 2002..The ability to study these drugs in childhood migraine is made easier, especially since safety in children has already been addressed in pediatric epilepsy studies...
- Pediatric migraine: new diagnostic strategies and treatment optionsAnn Pakalnis
Headache Clinic, Columbus Children s Hospital, Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, OH, USA
Expert Rev Neurother 6:291-6. 2006..Further clinical studies are warranted to develop consensus on treatment paradigms for clinicians to utilize in children and adolescents with migraine...
- Emotional problems and prevalence of medication overuse in pediatric chronic daily headacheAnn Pakalnis
Department of Pediatrics and Neurology, Ohio State University, College of Medicine, Columbus 43205, USA
J Child Neurol 22:1356-9. 2007..Patients with chronic daily headache were at higher risk for emotional disorders, and medication overuse was a significant occurrence, suggesting a need for multisystem treatment approach...
- Frequency of secondary conversion symptoms in children with psychogenic nonepileptic seizuresAnn Pakalnis
Departments of Pediatrics, Ohio State University College of Medicine, 700 Children s Drive, 43205, Columbus, OH, USA
Epilepsy Behav 4:753-6. 2003..These NES patients with secondary conversion symptoms may require more intensive psychological therapy and be at risk for long-term pathology...
- Parental satisfaction with sumatriptan nasal spray in childhood migraineAnn Pakalnis
Department of Neurology, Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, OH, USA
J Child Neurol 18:772-5. 2003..In our cohort of pediatric patients, sumatriptan nasal spray was effective and well tolerated when used for abortive therapy of acute migraine attacks...
- Headache therapy with botulinum toxin: form over substanceAnn Pakalnis
Department of Pediatrics, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43205, USA
Arch Neurol 65:149-51. 2008
- Pediatric migraine prophylaxis with divalproexA Pakalnis
Department of Neurology, Ohio State University College of Medicine, Children s Hospital, Columbus 43205, USA
J Child Neurol 16:731-4. 2001..No notable changes were noted in behavioral problems, and patients with epilepsy were well controlled. In our cohort of patients, divalproex was most effective in patients with migraine alone or comorbid epilepsy...
- Current therapies in childhood and adolescent migraineAnn Pakalnis
Department of Pediatrics and Neurology, Ohio State University College of Medicine and Columbus Children s Hospital, Columbus, Ohio, USA
J Child Neurol 22:1288-92. 2007..For the minority of children who should be candidates for prophylactic therapy, there is a limited amount of information available for clinicians to make judicious treatment decisions...
- New avenues in treatment of paediatric migraine: a review of the literatureA Pakalnis
Section of Neurology, Columbus Children's Hospital, 700 Children's Drive, Columbus, OH 43206, USA
Fam Pract 18:101-6. 2001..Application of these avenues especially warrants further clarification with regard to relevance in paediatric migraine treatment...
- Psychogenic seizures after head injury in childrenA Pakalnis
Section of Neurology, Columbus Children s Hospital, OH 43205, USA
J Child Neurol 15:78-80. 2000..The prevalence of antecedent head injury suggests that it is a notable risk factor in children as well as adults in the occurrence of psychogenic seizures...
- Nocturnal sleep recording with cassette EEG in chronic headachesM E Drake
Department of Neurology, Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus
Headache 30:600-3. 1990..Four-channel sleep recording may miss contributory sleep apnea, but nonetheless cassette EEG may facilitate outpatient evaluation of refractory headaches...
- Levetiracetam prophylaxis in pediatric migraine--an open-label studyAnn Pakalnis
Department of Neurology, Children s Hospital, Columbus, OH 43205, USA
Headache 47:427-30. 2007..Migraine is common in the pediatric population. Levetiracetam, an anti-epileptic drug, has shown some efficacy in small prospective adult headache studies...
- Zonisamide prophylaxis in refractory pediatric headacheAnn Pakalnis
Neurology Division, Children s Hospital, Columbus, OH 43205, USA
Headache 46:804-7. 2006..Currently, no medications are approved for pediatric headache prophylaxis in the United States. Zonisamide is an antiepileptic drug with preliminary studies suggesting some efficacy in the adult headache population...
- Nonmigraine headaches in adolescentsAnn Pakalnis
Departments of Clinical Pediatrics and Neurology, The Ohio State University College of Medicine and Public Health, Columbus, Ohio 43205, USA
Adolesc Med 13:433-42. 2002..The important distinction for the clinician is determination of headache as a symptom of another illness or a primary chronic headache disorder...
- Comorbidity of psychiatric and behavioral disorders in pediatric migraineAnn Pakalnis
Department of Pediatrics, The Ohio State University, College of Medicine, Columbus, OH 43205, and Department of Psychology, Columbus Children s Hospital, OH, USA
Headache 45:590-6. 2005..To determine whether behavioral and psychiatric disorders occur more frequently in school-age children with migraine headache. To also elucidate treatment response related to comorbid psychiatric or behavioral diagnosis...