Affiliation: The Burnham Institute
- Small ubiquitin-related modifier (SUMO)-specific proteases: profiling the specificities and activities of human SENPsJowita Mikolajczyk
Program in Apoptosis and Cell Death Research, Burnham Institute for Medical Research, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 282:26217-24. 2007..Using these synthetic substrates we reveal that the SUMO domain enhances catalysis of SENP1, -2, -5, -6, and -7, demonstrating substrate-induced activation of SENPs by SUMOs...
- Positional-scanning fluorigenic substrate libraries reveal unexpected specificity determinants of DUBs (deubiquitinating enzymes)Marcin Drag
Apoptosis and Cell Death Research, Burnham Institute for Medical Research, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Biochem J 415:367-75. 2008..Together, our results reveal the importance of the dual features of (1) substrate specificity and (2) the mechanism of ubiquitin binding in determining deubiquitination by this group of proteases...
- Activity profiling of human deSUMOylating enzymes (SENPs) with synthetic substrates suggests an unexpected specificity of two newly characterized members of the familyMarcin Drag
Apoptosis and Cell Death Research Program, Burnham Institute for Medical Research, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Biochem J 409:461-9. 2008..We also show that SENP6 and 7 have an unexpected specificity that distinguishes them from other members of the family, implying that, in contrast to previous predictions, their natural substrate(s) may not be SUMO conjugates...
- Activation and substrate specificity of caspase-14Jowita Mikolajczyk
The Program in Apoptosis and Cell Death Research, The Burnham Institute, 10901 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Biochemistry 43:10560-9. 2004..The results obtained with human caspase-14 classify this enzyme as a cytokine activator, but the mouse enzyme shows preferences similar to apical apoptotic caspases...
- Tumor-associated alterations in caspase-14 expression in epithelial malignanciesMaryla Krajewska
The Burnham Institute, La Jolla, California, USA
Clin Cancer Res 11:5462-71. 2005..We investigated caspase-14 expression in several types of human epithelial malignancy by immunohistochemistry, correlating results with stage, histologic grade, and patient survival...
- Early processing of Bid and caspase-6, -8, -10, -14 in the canine brain during cardiac arrest and resuscitationMaryla Krajewska
The Burnham Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Exp Neurol 189:261-79. 2004....
- Activity, specificity, and probe design for the smallpox virus protease K7LAlexander E Aleshin
Program in Apoptosis and Cell Death Research, Sanford Burnham Medical Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 287:39470-9. 2012..Our study thus provides proof-of-concept for the design of inhibitors and probes that may contribute both to a better understanding of the role of K7L in the virus life cycle and the design of novel anti-virals...
- Sequential autolytic processing activates the zymogen of Arg-gingipainJowita Mikolajczyk
Burnham Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 278:10458-64. 2003..Each step in activation requires the previous step, and an affinity probe reveals that incremental activity enhancements are achieved in a stepwise manner...