W H Mueller
Affiliation: Texas Medical Center
- Anger expression, body fat, and blood pressure in adolescents: Project HeartBeat!W H Mueller
University of Texas Houston Health Science Center, School of Public Health, 77225, USA
Am J Hum Biol 13:531-8. 2001..Research is required into the biological, social, and behavioral origins of the association between body fat and anger expression. Height and sexual maturity, virtually ignored in this literature, should be included in future research...
- Strategies for combining and scaling sexual maturity indicators: the Heartfelt StudyW H Mueller
University of Texas Health Science Center Houston, School of Public Health and School of Nursing, 77225, USA
Ann Hum Biol 28:422-30. 2001..To identify the best variable or combination of sexual maturity variables to use in investigations of adolescent health, and explore possible re-scaling of five-stage sexual maturity stages into dummy variables' ('advanced'/'delayed')...
- Utility of different body composition indicators: demographic influences and associations with blood pressures and heart rates in adolescents (Heartfelt Study)W H Mueller
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, School of Public Health, 77225, USA
Ann Hum Biol 30:714-27. 2003..To compare the utility of 10 commonly used body composition indicators (BCIs) in relation to demographic characteristics and cardiovascular risk factors...
- Tracking body fat distribution during growth: using measurements at two occasions vs oneW H Mueller
University of Texas, Health Science Center Houston, School of Public Health, Houston, Texas 77225, USA
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25:1850-5. 2001....
- Percentiles of body composition from bioelectrical impedance and body measurements in U.S. adolescents 8-17 years old: Project HeartBeat!William H Mueller
University of Texas Houston, Health Science Center, School of Public Health, Houston, Texas 77225, USA
Am J Hum Biol 16:135-50. 2004..This percentile of PBF may be tentatively considered as a cutoff point with epidemiological significance for children...
- Blood pressure and sexual maturity in adolescents: the Heartfelt StudyS D Cho
University of Texas-Houston, Health Science Center, School of Public Health, 77225, USA
Am J Hum Biol 13:227-34. 2001..Further investigation of its role in 24-hr blood pressures and in blood pressures taken during physical and emotional stress, is recommended...
- Psychometric testing of the adolescent version of the Cook-Medley hostility scaleP Liehr
University of Texas Houston, School of Nursing 77030, USA
Issues Compr Pediatr Nurs 23:103-16. 2000..The content analysis resulted in five anger-provoking themes: aggression, unfulfilled personal expectations, mistrust/lying, criticism of effort, and rejection. The majority of items in the scale (74%) were related to one of the themes...
- Stress-induced alterations of blood pressure and 24 h ambulatory blood pressure in adolescentsJ C Meininger
School of Nursing, University of Texas Houston, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Blood Press Monit 4:115-20. 1999....
- The relationship of serum androgens and ovulatory status to blood pressure in reproductive-age womenC Ayala
Texas Institute for Reproductive Medicine and Endocrinology, School of Public Health, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston 77054, USA
Am J Hypertens 12:772-7. 1999..T predicts BP elevation independent of age and ovulatory status. There was a synergistic relationship between obesity and androgens in their affect on BP...
- For the patient. The importance of health behaviors for better heart health. Migration history, health behaviors, and cardiovascular disease risk factors in overweight Mexican-American womenBandana M Chakraborty
Ethn Dis 13:152. 2003
- Migration history, health behaviors, and cardiovascular disease risk factors in overweight Mexican-American womenBandana M Chakraborty
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Department of Environmental Health, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 0056, USA
Ethn Dis 13:94-108. 2003..This research examined whether the migration history of overweight Mexican-American women had an independent effect on cardiovascular risk factors, or whether it was mediated by health behavior changes...
- Anger in adolescents: sex, ethnicity, age differences, and psychometric propertiesLisa R Reyes
School of Nursing, The University of Texas Health Science Center Houston, 77030, USA
Nurs Res 52:2-11. 2003..However, little is known of the use of this instrument among adolescents younger than 13 years and Hispanic American adolescents...
- Healthy Growth: project description and baseline findingsWendell C Taylor
Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research, School of Public Health, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Ethn Dis 12:567-77. 2002..The purpose of the primary study questions was to determine which sets of variables best predict blood pressure, physical activity, and body fat...
- Is obesity associated with poor sleep quality in adolescents?Neeraj K Gupta
School of Public Health, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, Texas 77225, USA
Am J Hum Biol 14:762-8. 2002..The above observations were independent of potential confounding variables. Inadequate and poor sleep quality in adolescents may be important factors to consider in the prevention of childhood obesity...
- Longitudinal analysis of changes in indices of obesity from age 8 years to age 18 years. Project HeartBeat!Shifan Dai
Division of Adult and Community Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta 30341, GA, USA
Am J Epidemiol 156:720-9. 2002..The authors conclude that growth patterns of adiposity differ according to the measure chosen. Furthermore, changes in different obesity indices may not relate in the same way to changes in blood pressure or blood lipid concentrations...
- Spiritual influences on ability to engage in self-care activities among older African AmericansSandra Upchurch
School of Nursing, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, 77030, USA
Int J Aging Hum Dev 60:77-94. 2005..However, this study and a recent survey by Musick, House, and Williams (2004) are evidence that it is just as likely that health benefits of religion would be hidden by confounders as that they would be exaggerated by them...
- Developmental, gender, and ethnic group differences in moods and ambulatory blood pressure in adolescentsJanet C Meininger
School of Nursing, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, 77030, USA
Ann Behav Med 28:10-9. 2004..Adolescence is characterized by profound changes in physical, psychological, and social functioning thought to be accompanied by intense and varying moods...