John Stirling Meyer
Affiliation: Texas Medical Center
- Feasibility of treating mild cognitive impairment with cholinesterase inhibitorsJohn Stirling Meyer
Cerebrovascular Research Laboratories, Department of Neurology, Veterans Administration Medical Center, 2002 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 17:586-8. 2002
- MRI abnormalities associated with mild cognitive impairments of vascular (VMCI) versus neurodegenerative (NMCI) types prodromal for vascular and Alzheimer's dementiasJohn Stirling Meyer
Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, Michael E DeBakey Veterans Administration Medical Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Curr Alzheimer Res 2:579-85. 2005..Subjects converting to DAT and VaD confirmed ultimate diagnosis during MCI staging. In "mixed cases" the predominant MRI pathology was judged the primary cause...
- MRI identifies MCI subtypes: vascular versus neurodegenerativeJohn S Meyer
Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Neurol Sci 229:121-9. 2005..The incidence of MCI in those over age 70, with confirmed cognitive declines when tested 2 years later, is around 23%, but some spontaneously improve...
- Risk factors accelerating cerebral degenerative changes, cognitive decline and dementiaJ S Meyer
Cerebral Blood Flow Laboratory, Veterans Administration Medical Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 14:1050-61. 1999....
- Risk factors for cerebral hypoperfusion, mild cognitive impairment, and dementiaJ S Meyer
Cerebral Blood Flow Laboratory, Veterans Administration Medical Center, 77030, Houston, TX, USA
Neurobiol Aging 21:161-9. 2000..TIAs, hypertension, and hyperlipidemia correlated with VAD. Excessive cortical perfusional decrease, gray and white matter hypodensities, and cerebral atrophy correlate with cognitive decline...
- Is mild cognitive impairment prodromal for vascular dementia like Alzheimer's disease?John Stirling Meyer
Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, Veterans Administration Medical Center, Houston, Tex 77030, USA
Stroke 33:1981-5. 2002..It was posited that MCI, identified by criteria described here, might present as a prodrome for VaD and AD...
- Validating mini-mental status, cognitive capacity screening and Hamilton depression scales utilizing subjects with vascular headachesJ S Meyer
Cerebrovascular Research Laboratories, Bldg 110, Room 225, Holcombe Boulevard 151A, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 16:430-5. 2001..Testing by means of all three scales concurrently provides useful information for longitudinal research among the elderly...
- MRI confirms mild cognitive impairments prodromal for Alzheimer's, vascular and Parkinson-Lewy body dementiasJohn Stirling Meyer
Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, and Cerebrovascular Research Laboratories, Michael E DeBakey Veterans Administration Medical Center, Houston, Texas 77098, USA
J Neurol Sci 257:97-104. 2007..MRI abnormalities are characterized among MCI subjects prodromal for dementia of Alzheimer's disease (DAT), vascular dementia (VaD) and Parkinson-Lewy body dementia (PLBD)...
- Progression of mild cognitive impairment to Alzheimer's or vascular dementia versus normative aging among elderly ChineseJuebin Huang
Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Curr Alzheimer Res 2:571-8. 2005..Identification of MCI among elderly populations provides the possibilities for dementia prevention and treatment within prodromal stages...
- Donepezil treatment of vascular dementiaJohn Stirling Meyer
Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 977:482-6. 2002..This study suggests that cholinergic deficits in VaD are due to neuronal ischemic damage with loss of acetylcholine and that treatment of VaD with cholinesterase inhibitors is a rational therapy...
- Depressive symptoms among cognitively normal versus cognitively impaired elderly subjectsY Li
Cerebrovascular Research Laboratories, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 16:455-61. 2001..CONCLUSION: Mild to moderate depression is a common comorbidity with organic dementia, especially VAD, but associated depression is independent of severity of cognitive impairments...
- Longitudinal follow-up of depressive symptoms among normal versus cognitively impaired elderlyY S Li
Cerebrovascular Research Laboratories, Veterans Administration Medical Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 16:718-27. 2001..Early depressive symptoms among subjects with MCI may represent a preclinical sign and should be considered as a risk factor for impending DAT or VAD among the elderly...
- Reversible cognitive decline accompanies migraine and cluster headachesJ S Meyer
Cerebrovascular Research, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Headache 40:638-46. 2000..Cognitive decline was promptly relieved by serotonin agonists and sleep. Disorders of cerebral serotoninergic projection systems appear to cause these reversible cognitive impairments...
- Acetazolamide testing of cerebral vasodilator capacity provokes "vascular" but not tension headachesT Shirai
Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Tex, USA
Headache 36:589-94. 1996..Patients with tension headaches and controls without history of headache did not develop head pain after acetazolamide...
- Age-related cerebrovascular disease alters the symptomatic course of migraineJ S Meyer
Cerebral Blood Flow Laboratory and Radiology Service, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Cephalalgia 18:202-8; discussion 171. 1998..Progressive impairments of cerebral vasodilator capacitance among migraineurs were associated with: (i) reductions in frequency and severity of migrainous cephalalgia and (ii) appearance of late-life migrainous accompaniments...
- Cerebral hyperemia during spontaneous cluster headaches with excessive cerebral vasoconstriction to hyperoxiaJ Kawamura
Cerebral Blood Flow Laboratory, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, Texas 77211
Headache 31:222-7. 1991..Rapid termination of head pain by hyperoxia associated with excessive cerebral vasoconstriction suggests that this vascular phenomenon is unique to cluster headache and offers clues to its pathogenesis...
- Cross-cultural comparison of mild cognitive impairment between China and USAGelin Xu
Department of Neurology, Nanjing General Hospital of PLA, Nanjing, PR China
Curr Alzheimer Res 1:55-61. 2004..Differences in genetic factors, cultures, educational levels, and preventive treatments of vascular risk factors are proposed as responsible for this uneven geographic distribution for different types of dementia...
- Feasibility of vascular dementia treatment with cholinesterase inhibitorsYansheng Li
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 17:194-6. 2002
- Flow diversion in transcranial Doppler ultrasound is associated with better improvement in patients with acute middle cerebral artery occlusionYo Sik Kim
Department of Neurology, Wonkwang University School of Medicine and Wonkwang Medical Science Research Center, Jeonbuk, Korea
Cerebrovasc Dis 21:74-8. 2006..FD is thought to represent the collateral blood flow to the occluded MCA territory, but it is unclear whether or not FD lessens the stroke severity or leads to improved outcome...
- Adapting mini-mental state examination for dementia screening among illiterate or minimally educated elderly ChineseGelin Xu
Department of Neurology, Xijing Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, PR, China
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 18:609-16. 2003..Illiteracy is prevalent among current elderly Chinese. There are few brief cognitive tests in Chinese designed to screen those possibly demented for more detailed evaluation in a clinical setting...
- Cognitive performance after carotid angioplasty and stenting with brain protection devicesGelin Xu
Department of Neurology, Jinling Hospital, Nanjing University School of Medicine, Nanjing, Jiangsu, China
Neurol Res 29:251-5. 2007..This study is aimed at investigating pattern and degree of cognitive changes after CAS among patients with high-grade carotid stenosis...