Affiliation: Temple University
- Translational control of Nrf2 within the open reading frameOscar Perez-Leal
Department of Biochemistry and Fels Institute for Cancer Research and Molecular Biology, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 437:134-9. 2013..The Nrf2 translational repression can be reversed with the use of synonymous codon substitutions. This discovery suggests an additional layer of control to explain the reason for the low Nrf2 concentration under quiescent state. ..
- Regulation of polyamine metabolism by translational controlOscar Perez-Leal
AHB 552, Department of Biochemistry, Temple University of School of Medicine, 3307 N Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Amino Acids 42:611-7. 2012..A better understanding of the translational control of these enzymes would offer the possibility of a novel pharmacological intervention against cancer and other diseases...
- Polyamine-regulated translation of spermidine/spermine-N1-acetyltransferaseOscar Perez-Leal
Department of Biochemistry, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Mol Cell Biol 32:1453-67. 2012..Understanding SSAT translational control mechanisms has the potential for the development of therapeutic strategies against cancer and obesity...
- A novel assay platform for the detection of translation modulators of spermidine/spermine acetyltransferaseOscar Perez-Leal
Department of Biochemistry and Fels Institute for Cancer Research, School of Medicine and 2 Moulder Center for Drug Discovery, School of Pharmacy, Temple University 3307 N Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19140
Curr Pharm Des 20:245-52. 2014..On the other hand, 38 compounds were found to strongly inhibit SSAT translation. We conclude that this biosensor can lead to the identification of novel pharmacophores that are able to modulate the translation of SSAT. ..
- Mechanism and tissue specificity of nicotine-mediated lung S-adenosylmethionine reductionCamilo A Moncada
Department of Biochemistry, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19140, USA
J Biol Chem 283:7690-6. 2008..Because this time frame is similar to pneumocyte turnover time, the shift in polyamine metabolism may occur as new pneumocytes are produced...
- Modulation of polyamine metabolic flux in adipose tissue alters the accumulation of body fat by affecting glucose homeostasisChunli Liu
AHB 552, Department of Biochemistry, Temple University School of Medicine, 3307N Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19140, USA
Amino Acids 46:701-15. 2014..Together, our data suggest that differential expression of SSAT markedly alters acetyl-CoA levels, which in turn trigger a global shift in glucose metabolism in adipose tissue, thus affecting the accumulation of body fat. ..
- Pneumocystis S-adenosylmethionine transport: a potential drug targetOscar Perez-Leal
Department of Biochemistry, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 45:1142-6. 2011..Because PcPET8 is likely critical for Pneumocystis, the yeast construct has potential as a surrogate for testing compounds against Pneumocystis...