- Further validation of the chronic pain coping inventoryGabriel Tan
Pain Section, Anesthesiology and Mental Health Care Line, VA Medical Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Pain 6:29-40. 2005....
- Complementary and alternative medicine approaches to pain managementGabriel Tan
Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Clin Psychol 62:1419-31. 2006..g., cognitive-behavioral therapy). Because of their brevity, these treatments also can be offered alone to patients who may not have the resources or time to participate in more time-intensive treatment...
- Are patient ratings of chronic pain services related to treatment outcome?Gabriel Tan
Pain Section, Anesthesiology 145, Michael E DeBakey Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Rehabil Res Dev 43:451-60. 2006..The findings suggest that pain intensity, pain interference, and disability are important outcome dimensions of pain-management programs...
- Using cranial electrotherapy stimulation to treat pain associated with spinal cord injuryGabriel Tan
Pain Section, Anesthesiology 145, Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center, 2002 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Rehabil Res Dev 43:461-74. 2006..6 pre- vs postintervention, p = 0.004) in contrast to the nonsignificant decrease in the sham CES group (-4.7 pre- vs postintervention, p = 0.24). These results suggest that CES can effectively treat chronic pain in persons with SCI...
- Associations among pain, PTSD, mTBI, and heart rate variability in veterans of Operation Enduring and Iraqi Freedom: a pilot studyGabriel Tan
Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Pain Med 10:1237-45. 2009..The objective of the study was to determine if there is dysregulated autonomic nervous system activity as manifested by depressed heart rate variability (HRV) among veterans of Operations Enduring and Iraqi Freedom (OEF/OIF)...
- Ethnicity, control appraisal, coping, and adjustment to chronic pain among black and white AmericansGabriel Tan
Houston VA Medical Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Pain Med 6:18-28. 2005..We also examined the association between these factors (i.e., appraisals, beliefs, coping) and patient perception or subjective experience of their functioning in each ethnic group...
- Hypnosis and irritable bowel syndrome: a review of efficacy and mechanism of actionGabriel Tan
Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Clin Hypn 47:161-78. 2005..In reviewing the research on the mechanism of action as to how hypnosis works to reduce symptoms of IBS, some evidence was found to support both physiological and psychological mechanisms of action...
- Efficacy of selected complementary and alternative medicine interventions for chronic painGabriel Tan
Anesthesiology Care Line 145, Department of Anesthesiology, Michael E DeBakey Department of Veterans Affairs VA Medical Center VAMC, 2002 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Rehabil Res Dev 44:195-222. 2007..The article concludes with recommendations to pain practitioners...
- Validating the use of two-item measures of pain beliefs and coping strategies for a veteran populationGabriel Tan
Chronic Pain Program, Anesthesiology, Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center, and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Pain 7:252-60. 2006..The results of this study replicate previous findings and offer support for the use of the 2-item versions for both screening and research purposes in Veterans Affairs settings with a veteran population...
- Efficacy of cranial electrotherapy stimulation for neuropathic pain following spinal cord injury: a multi-site randomized controlled trial with a secondary 6-month open-label phaseGabriel Tan
Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, TX, USA
J Spinal Cord Med 34:285-96. 2011..Cranial electrotherapy stimulation (CES) has been effective in managing some types of pain. It involves the application of a small amount of current through the head via ear clip electrodes...
- Hypnosis treatment for chronic low back painGabriel Tan
Anesthesiology Pain Program, Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center, 2002 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Clin Exp Hypn 58:53-68. 2010..These findings need to be replicated and confirmed in a larger clinical trial, which could also assess the long-term effects of this treatment...
- Effect of dronabinol on central neuropathic pain after spinal cord injury: a pilot studyDiana H Rintala
Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 89:840-8. 2010..To test the efficacy and safety of a cannabinoid, dronabinol, compared with an active control, diphenhydramine, in relieving neuropathic pain in persons with spinal cord injury...
- Heart rate variability (HRV) and posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD): a pilot studyGabriel Tan
Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affair Medical Center, Houston, TX, USA
Appl Psychophysiol Biofeedback 36:27-35. 2011..However, the TAU had no significant effect on either HRV or symptom reduction. A larger randomized control trial to validate these findings appears warranted...
- Validation of the Brief Pain Inventory for chronic nonmalignant painGabriel Tan
Pain Section, Anesthesiology and Mental Health Care Line Substance Dependence Treatment Program, Houston VA Medical Center, and Department of Anesthesiology, Baylor College of Medicine, TX 77030, USA
J Pain 5:133-7. 2004..Finally, the finding that both BPI scales showed statistically significant improvement with treatment confirms the responsivity of BPI in detecting and reflecting improvement in pain over time...
- Study descriptions of healing touch with veterans experiencing chronic neuropathic pain from spinal cord injuryDiane Wind Wardell
The University of Texas Houston, Health Science Center, School of Nursing, Houston, TX, USA
Explore (NY) 4:187-95. 2008..The practice of HT is based on the premise that the energy field has the ability to provide valuable information about the person's physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual condition and can influence the dense matter of physical form...
- Meta-analysis of EEG biofeedback in treating epilepsyGabriel Tan
Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Clin EEG Neurosci 40:173-9. 2009..This finding is especially noteworthy given the patient group, individuals who had been unable to control their seizures with medical treatment...
- Feasibility of using cranial electrotherapy stimulation for pain in persons with Parkinson's diseaseDiana H Rintala
Research Service, Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Parkinsons Dis 2010:569154. 2010..A larger study is needed to determine the characteristics of persons who may experience meaningful pain reduction with CES. Guidelines for future studies are provided...
- Anger management style and associations with self-efficacy and pain in male veteransElizabeth R Lombardo
Dallas Mind Body Medicine, Dallas, Texas 75205, USA
J Pain 6:765-70. 2005..Patients reporting low self-efficacy demonstrated high levels of maladaptive anger management, regardless of pain intensity level...
- A pilot study of healing touch and progressive relaxation for chronic neuropathic pain in persons with spinal cord injuryDiane Wind Wardell
University of Texas Houston Hhealthcare system, USA
J Holist Nurs 24:231-40; discussion 241-4. 2006..Participants reported various experiences with HT sessions indicating that it may have benefit in the complex response to chronic pain...