Affiliation: Stanford University
- Major medical conditions and VA healthcare costs near end of life for veterans with spinal cord injuries and disordersWei Yu
Health Economics Resource Center, Department of Veterans Affairs VA Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto, CA, USA
J Rehabil Res Dev 45:831-9. 2008..1%). The average cost was $24,900 in the second year before end of life and reached $61,900 in the final year. Before end of life, costs accelerated during the final year from $3,100 in month 12 to $14,600 in the final month...
- Association of co-morbidities with prescribing patterns and cost savings: olanzapine versus risperidone for schizophreniaWei Yu
Health Economics Resource Center, VA Palo Alto Health Care System, Menlo Park, California 94025, USA
Pharmacoeconomics 24:1233-48. 2006....
- The relationships among age, chronic conditions, and healthcare costsWei Yu
Health Economics Resource Center, VA Palo Alto Health Care System, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Am J Manag Care 10:909-16. 2004..To learn how age and chronic illness affect costs in the Veterans Affairs healthcare system...
- Gender disparities in Veterans Health Administration care: importance of accounting for veteran statusSusan M Frayne
Center for Health Care Evaluation, 795 Willow Road 152 MPD, Menlo Park CA 94025, USA
Med Care 46:549-53. 2008..Historically, such appraisals have often relied on secondary databases, with little attention to methodological implications of the fact that VHA provides care to some nonveteran patients...
- Gender and use of care: planning for tomorrow's Veterans Health AdministrationSusan M Frayne
Center for Health Care Evaluation, VA Palo Alto Health Care System, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 16:1188-99. 2007..With more women entering the system, a systematic assessment of their healthcare use and costs of care is needed. We examined how utilization and costs of VHA care differ in women veterans compared with men veterans...
- Health-related quality of life in a randomized trial of antiretroviral therapy for advanced HIV diseaseVilija R Joyce
Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System, Veterans Affairs Cooperative Studies Program Coordinating Center, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 50:27-36. 2009..To assess and compare alternative approaches of measuring preference-based health-related quality of life (HRQoL) in treatment-experienced HIV patients and evaluate their association with health status and clinical variables...
- Use of aggressive medical treatments near the end of life: differences between patients with and without dementiaSamuel S Richardson
VA Palo Alto Health Care System, 795 Willow Road 152 MPD, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Health Serv Res 42:183-200. 2007..To analyze whether acute care patients with dementia are more or less likely to receive each of five aggressive medical services near the end of life, compared with patients without dementia...
- Using GIS to profile health-care costs of VA Quality-Enhancement Research Initiative diseasesWei Yu
Health Economics Resource Center, VA Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto, California, USA
J Med Syst 28:271-85. 2004..Average costs and patterns of health-care utilization varied substantially across the 22 VISNs. The observed differences in health-care utilization across geographic regions raised questions for further investigation...
- How Will New Guidelines Affect CD4 Testing in Veterans With HIV?Paul G Barnett
Health Economics Resource Center, Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System, Menlo Park Treatment Research Center, Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco Center for Innovation to Implementation, Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System, Menlo Park
Clin Infect Dis 63:96-100. 2016..Guidelines now recommend limited use of routine CD4 cell count testing in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected patients with successful viral control who are not immunocompromised...
- Private and public cross-subsidization: financing Beijing's health-insurance reformMing Wu
Center for Health Policy, Stanford University, 795 Willow Road 152MPD, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Health Policy 72:41-52. 2005..International firms subsidize the most, contributing more than 60% of their insurance premiums to the employees of the public sector. Such an aggressive cross-subsidization policy is difficult to be accepted by private firms...
- Prevalence and costs of chronic conditions in the VA health care systemWei Yu
VA HSR and D Health Economics Resource Center, Center for Health Policy, Center for Primary Care and Outcomes Research, Stanford University, USA
Med Care Res Rev 60:146S-167S. 2003..2 million) of VA health care users had 3 or more of the 29 chronic conditions. These individuals accounted for 73 percent of the total cost. Overall, VA health care users have more chronic diseases than the general population...
- Determinants of cost among people who died in VA nursing homesWei Yu
VA Health Economics Resource Center
Med Care Res Rev 63:477-98. 2006..Incorporating illness into models that predict future demand for nursing home use provides greater precision than using age alone, especially as diseases and their treatments change through time...
- Estimating the costs of VA ambulatory careCiaran S Phibbs
VA HSR and D Health Economics Resource Center, VA Cooperative Studies Program, Department of Health Research and Policy, Center for Primary Care and Outcomes Research, Stanford University, USA
Med Care Res Rev 60:54S-73S. 2003..They are potentially useful for any system that does not generate billing data, when CPT codes are simpler to collect than billing data, or when there is a need to standardize cost estimates across data sources...
- Average cost of VA rehabilitation, mental health, and long-term hospital staysWei Yu
VA HSR and D Health Economics Resource Center, Stanford University, USA
Med Care Res Rev 60:40S-53S. 2003..Encounter-level costs were then calculated by multiplying the average per diem cost by the number of days of stay in the fiscal year. The national cost estimates are more reliable than the local cost estimates...
- Veterans Affairs Cooperative Studies Program study 553: Chemotherapy after prostatectomy, a phase III randomized study of prostatectomy versus prostatectomy with adjuvant docetaxel for patients with high-risk, localized prostate cancerBruce Montgomery
Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System and University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
Urology 72:474-80. 2008
- Identification and quantification of coronary atherosclerotic plaques: a comparison of 64-MDCT and intravascular ultrasoundJunyan Sun
Department of Radiology, Beijing An Zhen Hospital, Capital Medical University, An Ding Men Wai An Zhen Li, Chao Yang District, 100029, Beijing, China
AJR Am J Roentgenol 190:748-54. 2008..The purpose of this study was to compare the accuracy of 64-MDCT with that of intravascular ultrasound (IVUS) for the identification and quantitative analysis of coronary atherosclerotic plaques...
- Age structure changes and extraordinary lifespan in wild medfly populationsJames R Carey
Department of Entomology, University of California, Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Aging Cell 7:426-37. 2008....
- [Bone loss is more severe in younger Cushing's syndrome women than in older ones: comparison of bone mineral density between Cushing's syndrome and healthy women]Yan Jiang
Department of Endocrinology, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Peking Union Medical College, Peking Union Medical Collage Hospital, Beijing 100730, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 87:1695-7. 2007..To investigate the influence of age on bone mass in Cushing's syndrome patients...
- [Effect of age on the precision of dual X-ray absorptiometry measurement in middle-aged and elderly women]Qiang Lin
Department of Radiology, PUMC Hospital, CAMS and PUMC, Beijing 100730, China
Zhongguo Yi Xue Ke Xue Yuan Xue Bao 27:108-10. 2005..To investigate whether age influence the precision of dual X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) measurement at the hip in middle-aged and elderly women...
- Spinal cord stimulation for refractory angina pectoris: a retrospective analysis of efficacy and cost-benefitWei Yu
Section of Cardiology, Division of Internal Medicine, Karolinska Institutet Danderyd Hospital, S 182 88 Stockholm, Sweden
Coron Artery Dis 15:31-7. 2004..The objective of the current study was to retrospectively analyse the clinical outcomes and cost-benefit of SCS in patients with refractory angina pectoris...
- Quadriceps weakness and its relationship to tibiofemoral and patellofemoral knee osteoarthritis in Chinese: the Beijing osteoarthritis studyKristin R Baker
Clinical Epidemiology and Research Training Center, Boston University School of Medicine, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Arthritis Rheum 50:1815-21. 2004....
- [Bone mineral density and leptin receptor polymorphism Gln223Arg in Han women in Beijing]Jie Jiao
Department of Endocrinology, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Peking Union Medical College, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing 100730, China
Zhonghua Nei Ke Za Zhi 43:276-9. 2004..To investigate the association between bone mineral density (BMD) and leptin receptor (LEPR) polymorphism (Gln223 Arg) in young women and postmenopausl osteoporotic women...
- [Bone mineral and body composition analysis of whole body in 292 normal subjects assessed by dual X-ray absorptiometry]Ming wei Qin
Department of Radiology, PUMC Hospital, CAMS, PUMC, Beijing 100730, China
Zhongguo Yi Xue Ke Xue Yuan Xue Bao 25:66-9. 2003..To understand whole body bone mineral and body composition changes in normal subjects, and study the relationship between body composition and bone mineral...
- [Influence of aging, menopause and knee osteoarthritis on women's femoral neck strength and muscle force ]Yijun Song
Depatment of Obtetrics and Gynecology, Peking Union Medical College Hospital and Peking Union Medical College, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 82:752-5. 2002..To study the influence of aging, menopause and knee retrograde osteoarthritis on femoral neck strength (FS) and muscle force (MF) of women...
- High prevalence of lateral knee osteoarthritis in Beijing Chinese compared with Framingham Caucasian subjectsDavid T Felson
Boston Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Arthritis Rheum 46:1217-22. 2002..Our objective was to evaluate whether Chinese subjects might have more medial disease than do Caucasians, given a report of varus alignment in the knee joints of Chinese elderly...