Affiliation: Stanford University
- Evaluation of a BCMA's Electronic Medication Administration RecordNancy Staggers
University of Utah, Salt Lake City, USA
West J Nurs Res 37:899-921. 2015..Usability problems point to important areas for improvement, because these issues have the potential to affect nurses' SA, "at a glance" information, nurse productivity, and patient safety. ..
- Nurses' information management and use of electronic tools during acute care handoffsNancy Staggers
School of Nursing, University of Maryland, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
West J Nurs Res 34:153-73. 2012..This is a call to action for leaders and informaticists as they select and design future electronic tools...
- RN, CIO: an executive informatics careerNancy Staggers
Department of Informatics, College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Comput Inform Nurs 23:201-6. 2005..This article concludes by describing career development steps toward the CIO position: leadership and management; healthcare operations; organizational finesse; and informatics knowledge, processes, methods, and structures...
- Why patient summaries in electronic health records do not provide the cognitive support necessary for nurses' handoffs on medical and surgical units: insights from interviews and observationsNancy Staggers
School of Nursing, University of Maryland Baltimore, Baltimore, MD, USA
Health Informatics J 17:209-23. 2011..We make recommendations about a redesign of patient summary reports and technology to support the cognitive needs of nurses during handoffs at the change of shift...
- The content and context of change of shift report on medical and surgical unitsNancy Staggers
College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
J Nurs Adm 39:393-8. 2009..This study was conducted to describe the current content and context of change of shift report (CoSR) on medical and surgical units and explore whether nurses use computerized support during the CoSR process...
- Nanotechnology: the coming revolution and its implications for consumers, clinicians, and informaticsNancy Staggers
Informatics Program, College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Nurs Outlook 56:268-74. 2008..Given the promise of nanomaterials and the implications across at least these 3 areas, nurses need to understand the capabilities and limitations of nanomaterials, proceed with reasoned caution, and plan now for its wide-ranging impacts...
- An evaluation of patients' experienced usability of a diabetes mHealth system using a multi-method approachMattias Georgsson
Department of Biomedical Informatics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA Faculty of Computing, Blekinge Institute of Technology, Karlskrona, Sweden Electronic address
J Biomed Inform 59:115-29. 2016..The purpose of this study was to provide a feasibility test of a multi-method approach for both data collection and data analyses for patients' experienced usability of a mHealth system for diabetes type 2 self-management...
- A usability assessment of AHLTA in ambulatory clinics at a military medical centerNancy Staggers
College of Nursing, 5750D Health Sciences Education Building, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Mil Med 175:518-24. 2010..Improving the usability of future MHS clinical systems could lead to improved clinical decision making, patient safety, and increased information accuracy...
- Evaluations of physiological monitoring displays: a systematic reviewMatthias Görges
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
J Clin Monit Comput 22:45-66. 2008..The findings from this review give readers the opportunity to examine past work across studies and set the stage for the design and conduct of future evaluations...
- A qualitative evaluation of the crucial attributes of contextual information necessary in EHR design to support patient-centered medical home careCharlene R Weir
VA HSR and D Informatics and Decision Enhancement Center of Innovation IDEAS, 500 Foothill Blvd, Salt Lake City, UT, 84108, USA
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 15:30. 2015....
- Information Content Across Types of Nurse Cognitive ArtifactsJacquelyn W Blaz
School of Nursing, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 225:641-2. 2016....
- Quality of reporting randomized controlled trials in cancer nursing researchJia Wen Guo
Jia Wen Guo, PhD, RN, is Assistant Professor Katherine A Sward, PhD, RN, is Assistant Professor and Susan L Beck, PhD, APRN, FAAN, AOCN, is Professor and Robert S and Beth M Carter Endowed Chair in Nursing, College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City Nancy Staggers, PhD, RN, FAAN, is Professor, School of Nursing, University of Maryland, Baltimore
Nurs Res 63:26-35. 2014..The quality of RCTs has a substantial influence on providing reliable knowledge for EBP. Little is known about the quality of RCT reporting in cancer nursing...
- Research on nursing handoffs for medical and surgical settings: an integrative reviewNancy Staggers
School of Nursing, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Adv Nurs 69:247-62. 2013..To synthesize outcomes from research on handoffs to guide future computerization of the process on medical and surgical units...
- Nurses' evaluations of a novel design for an electronic medication administration recordNancy Staggers
Informatics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Comput Inform Nurs 25:67-75. 2007..2% to 87.8%. Accuracy scores were low for tasks requiring nurses to examine data outside the immediate field of view. Specific design recommendations are made to alleviate accuracy errors for specific tasks in acute care settings...
- Philosophical approaches to the nursing informatics data-information-knowledge-wisdom frameworkSusan Matney
College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, USA
ANS Adv Nurs Sci 34:6-18. 2011..Computer systems can support wisdom development. Wisdom is an important element of the DIKW framework and adds value to the role of nursing informaticists and nursing science...
- Using personas and prototypes to define nurses' requirements for a novel patient monitoring displaySven Koch
Department of Biomedical Informatics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 146:69-73. 2009..Using personas and paper prototypes is an inexpensive and effective way to assess nurses' requirements and design preferences...
- Heuristic Evaluation of a mHealth Diabetes Self-Management System Using Disease Specific Patient ProfilesMattias Georgsson
Department of Biomedical Informatics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 225:530-4. 2016..Interrater reliability was respectable at Kappa = 0.67. Our novel evaluation method represents one way of improving on a usability expert technique making it more patient-centered with less individual evaluator variability. ..
- Quantifying usability: an evaluation of a diabetes mHealth system on effectiveness, efficiency, and satisfaction metrics with associated user characteristicsMattias Georgsson
Department of Biomedical Informatics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA Faculty of Computing, Blekinge Institute of Technology, Karlskrona, Sweden
J Am Med Inform Assoc 23:5-11. 2016..This deficiency is addressed by our quantitative usability study of a mHealth diabetes system evaluating patients' task performance, satisfaction, and the relationship of these measures to user characteristics...
- A Practical Method for Data Handling in Multi-Method Usability Research StudiesMattias Georgsson
Department of Biomedical Informatics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 228:302-6. 2016..Analyses of large, complex data sets are common in health informatics and usability research. Researchers need feasible ways of streamlining data handling and analyses. We offer a useful approach across qualitative and digitalized data...
- Patients' Perceptions and Experiences of a mHealth Diabetes Self-management SystemMattias Georgsson
Author Affiliations Department of Biomedical Informatics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City Mr Georgsson and Dr Staggers Faculty of Computing, Blekinge Institute of Technology, Karlskrona, Sweden Mr Georgsson Summit Health Informatics, Salt Lake City, Utah Dr Staggers
Comput Inform Nurs . 2016..The study begins to fill the gap about the longer-term use of mHealth systems in chronic disease management and reflects the significance of individual needs for mHealth systems...
- Reviewing the impact of computerized provider order entry on clinical outcomes: The quality of systematic reviewsCharlene R Weir
Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center GRECC and Salt Lake Informatics, Decision Enhancement and Surveillance IDEAS Center, George E Wahlen Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Salt Lake City, UT 84148, USA
Int J Med Inform 81:219-31. 2012..This paper presents the results of a systematic analysis of the quality of systematic reviews of empirical CPOE research...
- Efficacy of a computerized simulation in promoting walking in individuals with diabetesBryan Gibson
George E Whalen Salt Lake City Veterans Affairs Healthcare System, IDEAS Center, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
J Med Internet Res 14:e71. 2012..Regular walking is a recommended but underused self-management strategy for individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM)...
- Using a content analysis to identify study eligibility criteria concepts in cancer nursing researchJia Wen Guo
Author Affiliations College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City Drs Guo, Sward, Beck, and Wong School of Nursing, University of Maryland, Baltimore Dr Staggers and Biomedical Informatics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City Dr Frey
Comput Inform Nurs 32:333-42. 2014..Nursing researchers can use these eligibility criteria concepts as a guideline in structuring the eligibility criteria for their studies. ..
- Electronic information exchange between emergency departments and poison control centers: a Delphi studyMollie R Cummins
College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 50:503-13. 2012..We conducted a nationwide Delphi study to determine consensus on legal, operational, and clinical considerations that are important for electronic information exchange between emergency departments and poison control centers...
- Hospital electronic medical record-based public health surveillance system deployed during the 2002 Winter Olympic GamesAdi V Gundlapalli
Hospital Epidemiology Unit, Divisions of Clinical Epidemiology and Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Am J Infect Control 35:163-71. 2007..Several computer biosurveillance systems are in place to detect events of public health (PH) significance; however, most lack access to timely and detailed patient-level data and investigation of alerts places a strain on PH resources...
- Assessing recommendations from the IOM's quality chasm reportNancy Staggers
Health Sciences Center, University of Utah, USA
J Healthc Inf Manag 18:30-5. 2004..This paper gives an overview of the IOM report, analyzes several key IT topics, and suggests required actions to effect the IOM's recommendations...
- Translating knowledge into practice: passing the hot potato!Nancy Staggers
J Am Med Inform Assoc 14:684-5. 2007