JUDITH ANNE SHIZURU
Affiliation: Stanford University
- The biology of allogeneic hematopoietic cell resistanceJudith A Shizuru
Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 16:S2-7. 2010....
- Hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells: clinical and preclinical regeneration of the hematolymphoid systemJudith A Shizuru
Division of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, Stanford University Medical Center, California 94305, USA
Annu Rev Med 56:509-38. 2005....
- Engraftment and survival following reduced-intensity allogeneic peripheral blood hematopoietic cell transplantation is affected by CD8+ T-cell doseThai M Cao
Division of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, Department of Medicine, Stanford University Schol of Medicine, 300 Pasteur Dr, H3249, MC 5623, Stanford, CA 94305 5623, USA
Blood 105:2300-6. 2005..003; RR = 0.2, 95% CI = 0.1-0.6) was associated with improved freedom from progression. Infusion of low G-PBMC CD8+ T-cell dose for reduced-intensity allografting may adversely affect T-cell engraftment and survival outcome...
- Tolerance and chimerism after renal and hematopoietic-cell transplantationJohn D Scandling
Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
N Engl J Med 358:362-8. 2008..Adverse events requiring hospitalization were limited to a 2-day episode of fever with neutropenia. The patient has had neither rejection episodes nor clinical manifestations of graft-versus-host disease...
- Rapamycin (sirolimus) for treatment of chronic graft-versus-host diseaseLaura J Johnston
Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 11:47-55. 2005..Given the significant toxicities described, investigation of altered administration of rapamycin and calcineurin inhibitors should be pursued in future cGVHD trials...
- Allogeneic T cells impair engraftment and hematopoiesis after stem cell transplantationAntonia M S Müller
Department of Medicine, Division of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:14721-6. 2010..These observations contradict the postulation that mature donor T cells provide important transient immunity and facilitate HSC engraftment...
- High-dose carmustine, etoposide, and cyclophosphamide followed by allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation for non-Hodgkin lymphomaLisa Y Law
Division of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 12:703-11. 2006..Patients who had required >3 previous chemotherapy regimens before HCT had an increased probability of relapse. CBV is an effective preparative regimen for patients with aggressive NHL who undergo allogeneic HCT...
- The origins of the identification and isolation of hematopoietic stem cells, and their capability to induce donor-specific transplantation tolerance and treat autoimmune diseasesIrving L Weissman
Stanford Institute of Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine, Stanford, CA 94304 1334, USA
Blood 112:3543-53. 2008..Here we review the steps, from our viewpoint, that led to HSC isolation and its importance in self-nonself immune recognition...
- Phase I/II trial of GN-BVC, a gemcitabine and vinorelbine-containing conditioning regimen for autologous hematopoietic cell transplantation in recurrent and refractory hodgkin lymphomaSally Arai
Department of Medicine, Blood and Marrow Transplantation, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 16:1145-54. 2010..This new transplant regimen for HL resulted in decreased BCNU toxicity with encouraging FFP and OS. A prospective, risk-modeled comparison of this new combination with other conditioning regimens is warranted...
- Rapid establishment of dendritic cell chimerism in allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplant recipientsSusanne Auffermann-Gretzinger
Division of Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplantation, Department of Medicine, The Blood Center, Stanford University Medical Center, CA 94305, USA
Blood 99:1442-8. 2002..This information has potential implications for manipulation of immune responses after allogeneic HCT...
- Approaches to transplantation tolerance in humansSamuel Strober
Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5166, USA
Transplantation 77:932-6. 2004..Preclinical and clinical studies of the use of total lymphoid irradiation for the induction of chimeric and nonchimeric tolerance are summarized here...
- Reconstitution of NK cell receptor repertoire following HLA-matched hematopoietic cell transplantationHeather G Shilling
Department of Structural Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Blood 101:3730-40. 2003..These results demonstrate that a majority of HLA-matched hematopoietic cell transplantations involve KIR mismatch and reveal differences in NK cell repertoire having potential impact for immune responsiveness and transplantation outcome...
- Cytokines and cytotoxic pathways in engraftment resistance to purified allogeneic hematopoietic stem cellsChristian Scheffold
Department of Medicine, Division of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305 5623, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 11:1-12. 2005..Furthermore, the chimerism data reinforce the importance of competition for HSC niches in conjunction with immune mechanisms in resistance to long-term HSC engraftment...
- Purified hematopoietic stem cell allografts reconstitute immunity superior to bone marrowGabriel J Tsao
Department of Medicine, Division of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:3288-93. 2009..We interpret these latter findings to show the importance of peripheral antigen presentation in the selection and maintenance of the T cell repertoire...
- Common lymphoid progenitors rapidly engraft and protect against lethal murine cytomegalovirus infection after hematopoietic stem cell transplantationCaroline Arber
Department of Medicine, Division of Bone Marrow Transplantation, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, CA, USA
Blood 102:421-8. 2003..These data support the potential for composing grafts with committed progenitors to reduce susceptibility to viral infection following HCT...
- Protective conditioning for acute graft-versus-host diseaseRobert Lowsky
Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, Calif, USA
N Engl J Med 353:1321-31. 2005..Conditioning with total lymphoid irradiation plus antithymocyte serum protects mice against acute graft-versus-host disease (GVHD) after hematopoietic-cell transplantation. We tested this strategy in humans...
- Prevention of type 1 diabetes with major histocompatibility complex-compatible and nonmarrow ablative hematopoietic stem cell transplantsGeorg F Beilhack
Division of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, CA 94305 5623, USA
Diabetes 54:1770-9. 2005....
- Mixed chimerism and immunosuppressive drug withdrawal after HLA-mismatched kidney and hematopoietic progenitor transplantationMaria T Millan
Department of Surgery, Division of Transplantation, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Transplantation 73:1386-91. 2002....
- CD34, CD4, and CD8 cell doses do not influence engraftment, graft-versus-host disease, or survival following myeloablative human leukocyte antigen-identical peripheral blood allografting for hematologic malignanciesThai M Cao
Division of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5623, USA
Exp Hematol 33:279-85. 2005..G-PBMC cell contents were analyzed for influence on outcomes...
- Purified allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation blocks diabetes pathogenesis in NOD miceGeorg F Beilhack
Department of Medicine, Division of Bone Marrow Transplantation, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Diabetes 52:59-68. 2003..These data demonstrate for the first time that purified HSC grafts block development of autoimmune diabetes and illuminate how HSC grafts alter thymic and peripheral T-cell responses against auto- and alloantigens...
- Rituximab as adjuvant to high-dose therapy and autologous hematopoietic cell transplantation for aggressive non-Hodgkin lymphomaSteven M Horwitz
Division of Oncology, Stanford University Medical Center, Ste 202, 1000 Welch Rd, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
Blood 103:777-83. 2004..Rituximab after HDT and HCT is feasible, and these phase 2 data support the current US Intergroup phase 3 trial in recurrent/refractory diffuse large cell lymphoma...
- Ineffective vaccination against solid tumors can be enhanced by hematopoietic cell transplantationAlexander Filatenkov
Division of Immunology and Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
J Immunol 183:7196-203. 2009..In conclusion, these findings show that otherwise ineffective vaccination to solid nonhematologic tumors can be dramatically enhanced by HCT...
- Variable hematopoietic graft rejection and graft-versus-host disease in MHC-matched strains of miceThai M Cao
Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:11571-6. 2003..Our results likely extend to all serologically MHC-matched mouse strains used in modern research and highlight the profound and variable influence that non-MHC genetic determinants can have in dictating outcome after HCT...
- Factors associated with outcomes in allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation with nonmyeloablative conditioning after failed myeloablative hematopoietic cell transplantationFrederic Baron
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:4150-7. 2006..Although most studies showed relatively low nonrelapse mortality (NRM) rates and encouraging short-term results, it has yet to be defined which patients would benefit most from these approaches...
- Nonmyeloablative unrelated donor hematopoietic cell transplantation to treat patients with poor-risk, relapsed, or refractory multiple myelomaGeorge E Georges
Clinical Research Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue N, D1 100, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 13:423-32. 2007....
- Biology of hematopoietic stem cells and progenitors: implications for clinical applicationMotonari Kondo
Department of Immunology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Annu Rev Immunol 21:759-806. 2003....
- Low-dose total body irradiation (TBI) and fludarabine followed by hematopoietic cell transplantation (HCT) from HLA-matched or mismatched unrelated donors and postgrafting immunosuppression with cyclosporine and mycophenolate mofetil (MMF) can induce duraDietger Niederwieser
Division of Hematology and Oncology, University of Leipzig, Germany
Blood 101:1620-9. 2003..HCT from HLA-matched or mismatched unrelated donors can be performed with a reduced intensity conditioning regimen in patients ineligible for conventional HCT...
- Related and unrelated nonmyeloablative hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for malignant diseasesGeorge E Georges
Clinical Research Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Int J Hematol 76:184-9. 2002..Related and unrelated nonmyeloablative HSCT is feasible and potentially curative in patients with advanced hematological malignancies who have no other treatment options...
- Prognostic relevance of 'early-onset' graft-versus-host disease following non-myeloablative haematopoietic cell transplantationMarco Mielcarek
Division of Clinical Research, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Br J Haematol 129:381-91. 2005..Patients with early-onset GVHD after non-myeloablative HCT from HLA-identical related donors might benefit from intensified primary immunosuppressive treatment...
- Treatment for acute myelogenous leukemia by low-dose, total-body, irradiation-based conditioning and hematopoietic cell transplantation from related and unrelated donorsUte Hegenbart
University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
J Clin Oncol 24:444-53. 2006....
- Unrelated donor granulocyte colony-stimulating factor-mobilized peripheral blood mononuclear cell transplantation after nonmyeloablative conditioning: the effect of postgrafting mycophenolate mofetil dosingMichael B Maris
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 12:454-65. 2006..Nonmyeloablative conditioning with postgrafting cyclosporine and MMF given 3 times daily allowed 95% durable engraftment of unrelated donor G-PBMC grafts...
- Extended mycophenolate mofetil and shortened cyclosporine failed to reduce graft-versus-host disease after unrelated hematopoietic cell transplantation with nonmyeloablative conditioningFrederic Baron
University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 13:1041-8. 2007..08 compared to the historical patients). We conclude that postgrafting immunosuppression with extended MMF and shortened CSP failed to decrease the incidence of GVHD among unrelated PBSC recipients given nonmyeloablative conditioning...
- HLA-matched unrelated donor hematopoietic cell transplantation after nonmyeloablative conditioning for patients with chronic myeloid leukemiaFrederic Baron
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109 1024, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 11:272-9. 2005..Further efforts are directed at reducing the risk of graft rejection by exclusive use of G-PBMC and increasing the degree of pretransplantation immunosuppression...
- Hematopoietic cell Transplants for Autoimmune DiseasesJudith Shizuru; Fiscal Year: 2005..A further goal of this application is to understand the mechanism(s) by which the proposed autologous and allogeneic HCT regimens alter immune responses to autoantigens. ..
- Diabetes Allele Transfer by Hematopoietic Cell Transpl.Judith Shizuru; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will further determine if insulin-producing cell clusters derived from embryonic stem cells can confer benefits similar to adult islets when transplanted in conjunction with hematopoietic cells. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Isolation and Characterization of Lung Alveolar ProgenitorsJudith Shizuru; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Barriers to Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell EngraftmentJUDITH ANNE SHIZURU; Fiscal Year: 2010..Based upon our understanding of the immune and non- immune barriers to engraftment we have a long-term goal of making allogeneic HCT safer and more effective for the treatment of malignant and non-malignant disease. ..
- Isolation and Transplantation of Candidate Alveolar Progenitor CellsJUDITH ANNE SHIZURU; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..