Affiliation: Stanford University
- Age and expertise effects in aviation decision making and flight control in a flight simulatorQuinn Kennedy
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 81:489-97. 2010..We examined the roles of age, expertise, and their relationship on aviation decision making and flight control performance during a flight simulator task...
- Intraindividual variability in basic reaction time predicts middle-aged and older pilots' flight simulator performanceQuinn Kennedy
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, California, USA
J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 68:487-94. 2013..We aimed to extend these findings to a real-world task, flight simulator performance. We hypothesized that IIV predicts poorer initial flight performance and increased rate of decline in performance among middle-aged and older pilots...
- The role of motivation in the age-related positivity effect in autobiographical memoryQuinn Kennedy
Stanford University, USA
Psychol Sci 15:208-14. 2004..In contrast, both younger control participants and participants who were focused on accuracy tended to remember the past more negatively than originally reported...
- The roles of COMT val158met status and aviation expertise in flight simulator performance and cognitive abilityQ Kennedy
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5550, USA
Behav Genet 41:700-8. 2011..These preliminary results indicate that COMT val158met polymorphic variation can affect a real-world task...
- Initial cognitive performance predicts longitudinal aviator performanceJerome A Yesavage
Stanford VA Aging Clinical Research Center, VA Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto, CA 94304 1207, USA
J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 66:444-53. 2011..The goal of the study was to improve prediction of longitudinal flight simulator performance by studying cognitive factors that may moderate the influence of chronological age...
- Pilot age and expertise predict flight simulator performance: a 3-year longitudinal studyJoy L Taylor
Department of Veterans Affairs and Sierra Pacific MIRECC, Palo Alto, CA, USA
Neurology 68:648-54. 2007..We investigated the influence of age and aviation expertise (indexed by Federal Aviation Administration pilot ratings) on longitudinal flight simulator performance...
- Pilot perception and confidence of location during a simulated helicopter navigation taskJi Hyun Yang
Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 84:952-60. 2013..Helicopter overland navigation is a challenging mission area because it is a complex cognitive task, and failing to recognize when the aircraft is off-course can lead to operational failures and mishaps...
- The impact of brain size on pilot performance varies with aviation training and years of educationMaheen M Adamson
Department of Veterans Affairs and Sierra Pacific MIRECC, Palo Alto, California, USA
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 16:412-23. 2010..05). These results point to the importance of examining measures of expertise and their interactions to assess age-related cognitive changes...
- Training simulation for helicopter navigation by characterizing visual scan patternsJoseph Sullivan
Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 82:871-8. 2011..This study investigated potential improvements to training simulation by analyzing the influences of flight expertise on visual scan patterns...
- The STEP model: Characterizing simultaneous time effects on practice for flight simulator performance among middle-aged and older pilotsQuinn Kennedy
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine
Psychol Aging 30:699-711. 2015..Results have implications for the design and assessment of training interventions targeted at middle-aged and older adults for complex real-world tasks...
- Influences of APOE ε4 and expertise on performance of older pilotsJoy L Taylor
Psychiatry Service, Department of Veterans Affairs, Palo Alto Health Care System Palo Alto, CA 94304 1207, USA
Psychol Aging 26:480-7. 2011..Results suggest that relevant training and activity may help sustain middle-aged and older adults' real-world performance, especially among APOE ε4 carriers...
- The impact of autobiographic writing on memory performance in older adults: a preliminary investigationKate de Medeiros
Copper Ridge Institute, Sykesville, MD 21784 7650, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 15:257-61. 2007..The authors also found a decline in idea density, suggesting that more research is needed to better understand how interpretation of the language assessment tool may be affected by improvements in writing...