Genomes and Genes
Organization: Stanford University
- Shielding assessment of a mobile electron accelerator for intra-operative radiotherapyAlexandre S Krechetov
IntraOp Medical Corp, Sunnyvale, CA, USA
J Appl Clin Med Phys 11:3151. 2010..The data presented evaluates the number of procedures for which the Mobetron may be safely operated in a typical unshielded operating room...
- Cardiovascular risk assessment among potential kidney transplant candidates: approaches and controversiesKrista L Lentine
Center for Outcomes Research, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 55:152-67. 2010..Biomarkers, such as cardiac troponin, have prognostic value in end-stage renal disease, but require further study to determine clinical applications in directing more expensive and invasive cardiac evaluation...
- Do children and adults differ in survival from medulloblastoma? A study from the SEER registryEmily K Curran
Department of Neurology, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, USA
J Neurooncol 95:81-5. 2009..Similar outcomes between adult and childhood MB may justify inclusion of adults in pediatric cooperative trials for MB...
- The psychiatrist as consultant: working within schools, the courts, and primary care to promote children's mental healthSusan Milam-Miller
University of California Davis School of Medicine, Davis, CA, USA
Psychiatr Clin North Am 32:165-76. 2009..Current trends in psychiatric consultation are described, including a shift away from indirect consultation and toward a collaborative role...
- Economic analysis of infant vs postpubertal orchiopexy to prevent testicular cancerMichael H Hsieh
Scott Department of Urology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Urology 73:776-81. 2009..Infant surgery is often performed by pediatric subspecialists and hence might be more costly. Although rare, testicular cancer can require significant medical expenditures...
- Noise considerations of three-point water-fat separation imaging methodsZhifei Wen
Department of Physics, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Med Phys 35:3597-606. 2008....
- Outcomes and cost analysis of pyeloplasty for antenatally diagnosed ureteropelvic junction obstruction using Markov modelsMichael H Hsieh
Department of Urology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Urology 72:794-9. 2008..We sought to examine the potential costs and clinical outcomes of treatment protocols featuring different indications for pediatric pyeloplasty using Markov models...
- Complete intracranial arterial and venous blood flow evaluation with 4D flow MR imagingM D Hope
Department of Radiology, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0628, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 30:362-6. 2009....
- Obesity and cardiac risk after kidney transplantation: experience at one center and comprehensive literature reviewKrista L Lentine
Center for Outcomes Research, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
Transplantation 86:303-12. 2008..The cardiac implications of obesity in kidney transplant recipients are not well-described...
- A method to model season of birth as a surrogate environmental risk factor for diseaseJimmy Thomas Efird
Cancer Research Center of Hawaii, John A Burns School of Medicine, 651 Ilalo Street, Biosciences Bldg 320 B, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Int J Environ Res Public Health 5:49-53. 2008..Advantages of this derivative-free method include ease of use, increased statistical power to detect associations, and the ability to avoid potentially arbitrary, subjective demarcation of seasons...
- Exposure, epidemiology and human cancer incidence of naphthaleneFumie Y Griego
Expert Panelist, Independent Consultant, Windermere, FL, USA
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 51:S22-6. 2008....
- Biomechanics of the anterior longitudinal ligament during 8 g whiplash simulation following single- and contiguous two-level fusion: a finite element studyAlan B C Dang
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, New England Musculoskeletal Institute, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT 06034 4037, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:607-11. 2008..A computational study of anterior longitudinal ligament (ALL) strain in the cervical spine following single- and 2-level fusion during simulated whiplash...
- Economic impact of tumor markers in bladder cancer surveillanceY Mark Hong
Division of Urology, Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Urology 71:131-5. 2008..Bladder tumor markers hold the promise to reduce these costs, yet have not been widely adopted in oncological practice. We assessed the cost-effectiveness of bladder tumor markers in surveillance routines...
- SENSE phase-constrained magnitude reconstruction with iterative phase refinementCalvin Lew
Lucas MRS I Center, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94035, USA
Magn Reson Med 58:910-21. 2007..For applications that need only magnitude data, an iterative phase-constrained SENSE reconstruction can provide substantial SNR improvement over SENSE reconstruction and less artifacts than phase-constrained SENSE...
- Oligonucleotide hybridization and free-solution electrokinetic separation in a nanofluidic deviceDavid E Huber
Stanford Genome Technology Center, Stanford University, 855 California Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94305, USA
Lab Chip 9:2933-40. 2009....
- The efficacy of implantable cardioverter-defibrillators in heart transplant recipients: results from a multicenter registryVivian W Tsai
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, Calif, USA
Circ Heart Fail 2:197-201. 2009..This study sought to determine whether ICDs are effective in preventing sudden cardiac death in high-risk heart transplant recipients...
- Preventing cervical cancer: stakeholder attitudes toward CareHPV-focused screening programs in Roi-et Province, ThailandLee A Trope
Program in Science, Technology and Society, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305 5317, USA
Int J Gynecol Cancer 19:1432-8. 2009..To assess which of the 5 CareHPV-inclusive protocols stakeholders in Roi-et Province, Thailand found (1) most preferable and (2) most beneficial to the overall goal of reducing cervical cancer...
- A classification model for G-to-A hypermutation in hepatitis B virus ultra-deep pyrosequencing readsElizabeth C Reuman
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Bioinformatics 26:2929-32. 2010....
- In vitro mechanical comparison of 2.0 and 2.4 limited-contact dynamic compression plates and 2.0 dynamic compression plates of different thicknessesAdam M Strom
Animal Specialty Group, Los Angeles, CA 90039, USA
Vet Surg 39:824-8. 2010..To compare the bending structural stiffness and bending strength of thick and thin 2.4 mm limited contact dynamic compression plates (2.4 LC-DCP), 2.0 mm LC-DCP (2.0 LC-DCP), and 2.0 dynamic compression plates (2.0 DCP)...
- Underwater imaging using a hybrid Kirchhoff migration: direction of arrival method and a sparse surface sensor arrayJean Francois Dord
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University, Durand Building, Office 028, 496 Lomita Mall, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 128:711-8. 2010..Its performance is assessed and analyzed with the shape identification of a mockup submarine by numerical simulation. The obtained numerical results highlight the potential of this approach for identifying underwater intruders...
- Hikikomori, a Japanese culture-bound syndrome of social withdrawal?: A proposal for DSM-5Alan R Teo
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0984, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 198:444-9. 2010..Research diagnostic criteria for the condition are proposed...
- An Efficient Gatekeeper Algorithm for Detecting GxEJimmy T Efird
Biostatistics and Data Management Unit, Center for Health of Vulnerable Populations, University of North Carolina, 237 A McIver Building, Administrative Drive, Greensboro, NC 27402 6170, USA Email
Cancer Inform 9:115-20. 2010..A heuristic gatekeeper method is presented to guide the selection of single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in the design phase of a GxE study...
- Empowerment evaluation: a collaborative approach to evaluating and transforming a medical school curriculumDavid M Fetterman
Office of Medical Education, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, USA
Acad Med 85:813-20. 2010..used the principles of empowerment evaluation to facilitate yearly cycles of improvement at the Stanford University School of Medicine, which implemented a major curriculum reform in 2003-2004...
- Progressive macular hypomelanosis arising in a young African American woman in association with pregnancy and a toxic nodular goiterEmily P Tierney
Boston University School of Medicine, Department of Dermatology, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Drugs Dermatol 9:393-7. 2010..During six months of this treatment, she experienced re-pigmentation of many of her existing skin lesions and cessation of the development of new hypopigmented macules...
- Micromirror-scanned dual-axis confocal microscope utilizing a gradient-index relay lens for image guidance during brain surgeryJonathan T C Liu
Stanford University School of Medicine, Clark Center for Biomedical Engineering and Science, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Biomed Opt 15:026029. 2010..Optically sectioned fluorescence images of brain tissues are obtained in living mice to demonstrate the utility of this microscope for image-guided resections...
- Low plasma D-dimer concentration predicts the absence of traumatic brain injury in childrenCraig A Swanson
Sutter Memorial Hospital, Sacramento, California, USA
J Trauma 68:1072-7. 2010..Head Computerized Tomography (CT) has significant risks, especially in children. To reduce this burden, we sought to develop a biomarker panel that predicts the absence of traumatic brain injury (TBI) on head CT...
- The future of the orthopaedic clinician-scientist: part II: Identification of factors that may influence orthopaedic residents' intent to perform researchJaimo Ahn
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 3400 Spruce Street, 2 Silverstein, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 92:1041-6. 2010..Therefore, we sought to assess resident opinions regarding plans and incentives for future research and the opinions of academic chairs who must support them...
- Distinct startle responses are associated with neuroanatomical differences in pufferfishesA K Greenwood
Division of Human Biology, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, USA
J Exp Biol 213:613-20. 2010..The rich diversity within the pufferfish clade should allow future studies investigating the factors that contribute to this correlated anatomical and behavioral variation...
- A twin study of intracerebral volumetric relationshipsJ Eric Schmitt
Virginia Institute for Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics, Virginia Commonwealth University, 800 East Leigh Street, Suite 100, PO Box 980003, Richmond, VA, 23298 0003, USA
Behav Genet 40:114-24. 2010..Reanalysis including total brain volume as a covariate dramatically reduced the total residual variance and disproportionately influenced the additive genetic variance in all regions of interest...
- "Learning curve" may not be enough: assessing the oncological experience curve for robotic radical prostatectomyY Mark Hong
Department of Urology, Arizona Urology Specialists, Phoenix, Arizona 85013, USA
J Endourol 24:473-7. 2010..Surgeons should consider whether they can build enough experience to minimize suboptimal oncological outcomes before embarking on or continuing a RALP program...
- Educating future leaders of medical research: analysis of student opinions and goals from the MD-PhD SAGE (Students' Attitudes, Goals, and Education) surveyJaimo Ahn
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Acad Med 82:633-45. 2007..To collect national trainee-derived data about the educational process and experience of MD-PhD students...
- Does vancomycin prescribing intervention affect vancomycin-resistant enterococcus infection and colonization in hospitals? A systematic reviewMonique A de Bruin
Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
BMC Infect Dis 7:24. 2007..We conducted a systematic review to determine the impact of reducing vancomycin use through prescribing interventions on the prevalence and incidence of VRE colonization and infection in hospitals within the United States...
- Biologically plausible particulate air pollution mortality concentration-response functionsSteven Roberts
School of Finance and Applied Statistics, Australian National University, Crisp Building 26, Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia
Environ Health Perspect 112:309-13. 2004..Using time-series data from Cook County, Illinois, the proposed method yields more meaningful particulate air pollution mortality concentration-response function estimates with an increase in statistical accuracy...
- Failure of autologous bone-assisted cranioplasty following decompressive craniectomy in children and adolescentsGerald A Grant
Department of Neurological Surgery, Children s Hospital and Regional Medical Center, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Neurosurg 100:163-8. 2004..The authors have routinely performed primary autologous cranioplasty to repair skull defects after decompressive craniectomy. The high rates of subsequent bone resorption occurring in children prompted this study...
- The neuroprotective effects of virally-derived caspase inhibitors p35 and crmA following a necrotic insultMadhuri Roy
Department of Biological Sciences, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305 5020, USA
Neurobiol Dis 14:1-9. 2003..Moreover, in demonstrating the previously unexplored modulation of these processes, these data underline the capacity for classically "anti-apoptotic" proteins to alter other branches of cell death processes...
- Vitiligo therapy: where are we now?Martha P Arroyo
Ronald O Perelman Department of Dermatology, NYU School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
J Drugs Dermatol 2:404-8. 2003..In this article, the various treatment options for the treatment of vitiligo are outlined and newer treatment options are discussed...
- Modulation of vascular inflammation by PPARsDoris M Tham
Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California at Davis, USA
Drug News Perspect 16:109-16. 2003..In this review, we will describe the current understanding of PPARs, the antiinflammatory activities of PPAR agonists and their proposed mechanisms of action...
- Constitutive modeling of porcine coronary arteries using designed experimentsStacey A Dixon
Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332 0405, USA
J Biomech Eng 125:274-9. 2003..026 +/- 0.009, 0.015 +/- 0.005, and 0.011 +/- 0.009, respectively, at all physiologic loads, suggesting that the axial strains in the LAD are significantly higher than in the other regions...
- Fear of feedbackJay M Jackman
Stanford University s School of Education, USA
Harv Bus Rev 81:101-7, 124. 2003..What's more, they begin to transform a feedback-averse environment into a more honest and open one, in turn improving performance throughout the organization...
- On-chip coupling of isoelectric focusing and free solution electrophoresis for multidimensional separationsAmy E Herr
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305 4021, USA
Anal Chem 75:1180-7. 2003..The peak capacity of the 2D system was approximately 1300. A comprehensive 2D analysis of a fluid volume spanning 15% of the total IEF channel length was completed in less than 5 min...
- Depressive symptomatology and coronary heart disease in Type I diabetes mellitus: a study of possible mechanismsLeslie S Kinder
Stanford Center for Research in Disease Prevention, School of Medicine, Stanford University, USA
Health Psychol 21:542-52. 2002..Future research should clarify causal pathways between depressive symptomatology, behavioral and physiological processes, and CHD...
- Innovative cancer vaccine strategies based on the identification of tumour-associated antigensH Ying
Maxine Dunitz Neurosurgical Institute, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 90048, USA
BioDrugs 15:819-31. 2001..Studies on how viral and cellular modulators of the innate antiviral pathways affect vaccine function should provide molecular insights crucial to future vaccine design...
- Quantifying the population impact of a prophylactic Helicobacter pylori vaccineM F Rupnow
Department of Management Science and Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Vaccine 20:879-85. 2001..Helicobacter pylori vaccines, which have been suggested as promising interventions to control infection, are under development. We sought to quantify the potential population impact of a prophylactic H. pylori vaccine...
- A novel means of drug delivery: myoblast-mediated gene therapy and regulatable retroviral vectorsC R Ozawa
Department of Molecular Pharmacology, Stanford University School of Medicine, California 94305 5332, USA
Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 40:295-317. 2000..The combination of ex vivo gene transfer using myoblasts and regulatable retroviral vectors provides a powerful toolbox with which to develop gene therapies for a number of human diseases...
- A dynamic transmission model for predicting trends in Helicobacter pylori and associated diseases in the United StatesM F Rupnow
Stanford University, Stanford, California, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 6:228-37. 2000..pylori has decreased to values so low that, should this trend continue, the organism will disappear from the population without targeted intervention; this process, however, will take more than a century...
- Social regulation of the electrical properties of gonadotropin-releasing hormone neurons in a cichlid fish (Astatotilapia burtoni)Anna K Greenwood
Program in Neuroscience, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Biol Reprod 71:909-18. 2004..These data are the first electrophysiological characterization of hypothalamic GnRH neurons in a nonmammalian species and provide evidence for several changes in electrical properties with reproductive state...
- Dynamic cervical change during real-time ultrasound: prospective characterization and comparison in patients with and without symptoms of preterm laborJ T Kurtzman
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of California Irvine Medical Center, Orange, Long Beach, CA, USA
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 23:574-8. 2004..To compare the incidence of dynamic cervical change (spontaneous real-time cervical shortening) in singleton patients with and without symptoms of preterm labor (PTL)...
- Limits to phenotypic plasticity: flow effects on barnacle feeding appendagesNatasha K Li
Hopkins Marine Station, Stanford University, Pacific Grove, CA 93950, USA
Biol Bull 206:121-4. 2004..We conclude that the velocity at which the plastic response occurs has an upper limit of 2-4 m/s, a velocity commonly exceeded within the typical habitat of this species...
- Mediating group dynamics through tabletop interface designMeredith Ringel Morris
Stanford University, USA
IEEE Comput Graph Appl 26:65-73. 2006
- Can open-source R&D reinvigorate drug research?Bernard Munos
Bernard Munos is at Eli Lilly and Co, Lilly Corporate Center, 1085, Indianapolis, Indiana 46285, USA
Nat Rev Drug Discov 5:723-9. 2006..Can open-source drug research and development, using principles pioneered by the highly successful open-source software movement, help revive the industry?..
- Tadalafil for the treatment of lower urinary tract symptoms in men with benign prostatic hyperplasiaRicardo R Gonzalez
Weill Medical College of Cornell University, Institute for Bladder and Prostate Health, New York, NY 10021, USA
Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol 2:609-17. 2006..The ability to treat both BPH and ED with one medication is noteworthy given the significant negative impact in quality-of-life measures these disorders have in ageing men. Careful patient selection and further trials are warranted...
- Research fellowshipsJaimo Ahn
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 449:239-40. 2006
- Towards the global monitoring of biodiversity changeHenrique M Pereira
Departamento de Engenharia Civil e Arquitectura, Instituto Superior Tecnico, 1049 001 Lisboa, Portugal
Trends Ecol Evol 21:123-9. 2006..The data would then be integrated with other environmental and socioeconomic indicators to design responses to reduce biodiversity loss...
- Correlation between clinical suspicion and polymerase chain reaction verification of infectious vitritisNisha Acharya
Proctor Foundation, Department of Ophthalmology, University of California San Francisco, 95 Kirkham Street, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 141:584-5. 2006..To compare polymerase chain reaction (PCR) results to presumptive clinical diagnosis in patients with vitritis...
- Cone signal interactions in direction-selective neurons in the middle temporal visual area (MT)Crista L Barberini
Department of Neurobiology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA
J Vis 5:603-21. 2005..The sensitivity of single MT neurons and the correlation between trial-to-trial variations in single neuron firing and perception are similar for S- and L,M-cone stimuli, further supporting a role for MT in processing chromatic motion...
- Cosmetic dermatology and physicians' ethical obligations: more than just hope in a jarJulie Cantor
Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Semin Cutan Med Surg 24:155-60. 2005..Heightened attention to familiar duties and new attention to proposed responsibilities will enhance patient safety and choice. It will also ensure that dermatologists practice their craft in an ethically sound manner...
- Immediate skin stretching with towel clips and needlesClifford S Perlis
Department of Dermatology, Brown Medical School, Providence, Rhode Island 02903, USA
Dermatol Surg 31:697-8. 2005
- Congenital malalignment of the great toenails mimicking onychomycosisClifford S Perlis
Department of Dermatology, Brown Medical School, 593 Eddy Street, Providence, RI 02903, USA
J Pediatr 146:575. 2005
- Public versus private patient priorities and satisfaction in cataract surgeryChet K Pager
Department of Clinical Ophthalmology and Eye Health, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 32:482-7. 2004..The objective of this study was to compare samples of private and public patients undergoing day-stay cataract surgery...
- Statin use after renal transplantation: a systematic quality review of trial-based evidenceKrista L Lentine
Division of Nephrology, Washington University Medical Center, Campus Box 8219, 660 S Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 19:2378-86. 2004..We assessed whether current clinical evidence supports the use of statins to improve cardiac and/or renal outcomes after kidney transplantation...
- Testing the free radical theory of aging in batsAnja K Brunet Rossinni
Department of Ecology, Evolution and Behavior, University of Minnesota, 1987 Upper Buford Circle, Saint Paul, MN 55108, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1019:506-8. 2004..I propose that the decreased free radical production in adults is the result of within-individual selection of efficient mitochondria due to selective pressure created by the high energetic demands of flight...
- Helicobacter pylori vaccine development and use: a cost-effectiveness analysis using the Institute of Medicine MethodologyM F Rupnow
Department of Engineering Economic Systems and Operations Research, Stanford University, CA, USA
Helicobacter 4:272-80. 1999..We evaluated the cost-effectiveness (CE) of H. pylori vaccine development and use in the United States and developing countries, using a method developed by the Institute of Medicine (IOM)...
- Cardiovascular Risk Prediction after Kidney TransplantKrista Lentine; Fiscal Year: 2007..Lentine's knowledge base recently acquired through a Master's degree program in Epidemiology at Stanford University. Formal courses ranging from ethics to advanced statistical analytical methods will be taken over the five ..
- Infection, Persistence & Clearance of Oral HPV in WomenJimmy Efird; Fiscal Year: 2007....