Miguela A Caniza
Affiliation: St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
- Posterior fossa tuberculoma in a Huichol native Mexican child: a case reportGriselda Escobedo-Meléndez
Servicio de Hematología y Oncología Pediátrica, Unidad de Infectología, Hospital Civil de Guadalajara, Instituto de Investigación en Cáncer Infantil y de la Adolescencia, Universidad de Guadalajara, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
BMC Res Notes 7:919. 2014..Tuberculomas are a frequent and severe complication of pediatric tuberculosis, these are observed as tumors in neuroimaging studies but are often not diagnosed adequately...
- Establishment of ethical oversight of human research in El Salvador: lessons learnedMiguela A Caniza
St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
Lancet Oncol 7:1027-33. 2006..This model of interaction can also be used by institutions in high-income countries to create and strengthen the capacity for ethics in human research in low-income countries...
- Effective hand hygiene education with the use of flipcharts in a hospital in El SalvadorM A Caniza
Department of Infectious Diseases and International Outreach Program, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105 2794, USA
J Hosp Infect 65:58-64. 2007..Although the use of flipcharts requires a skilled and well-trained instructor, flipcharts could be used more widely to deliver education in resource-poor settings...
- Planning and implementation of an infection control training program for healthcare providers in Latin AmericaMiguela A Caniza
International Outreach Program, Department of Infectious Diseases, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN, 38105 2794, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 28:1328-33. 2007..We collaboratively planned and implemented a multinational training course in San Salvador, El Salvador, to address this need...
- A practical guide to alcohol-based hand hygiene infrastructure in a resource-poor pediatric hospitalMiguela A Caniza
Department of Infectious Diseases, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105 3678, USA
Am J Infect Control 37:851-4. 2009..Alcohol-based HH can compensate for inadequate infrastructure and supplies. We describe the implementation of alcohol-based HH in five high-risk wards of a pediatric hospital in El Salvador...
- The controversy of varicella vaccination in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemiaMiguela A Caniza
Department of Infectious Diseases, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105 2794, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 58:12-6. 2012..There is little available data to allow a comparison of the risk versus benefit of vaccinating these patients...
- Challenges faced by research ethics committees in El Salvador: results from a focus group studyJonathan W Camp
Infectious Diseases Department, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, 332 North Lauderdale St, Memphis, TN 38105 2794, USA
Dev World Bioeth 9:11-7. 2009..To identify perceived barriers to capacity building for local research ethics oversight in El Salvador, and to set an agenda for international collaborative capacity building...
- Use of Fungal Diagnostics and Therapy in Pediatric Cancer Patients in Resource-Limited SettingsSheena Mukkada
Department of Infectious Diseases, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN, USA Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Pediatrics, University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center, Memphis, TN, USA
Curr Clin Microbiol Rep 3:120-131. 2016....
- Surveillance of healthcare associated infections in pediatric cancer patients between 2004 and 2009 in a public pediatric hospital in Mexico city, MexicoHilda Hernández Orozco
Department of Infectious Disease Infection Prevention and Control Committee Department of Gastroenterology, National Institute of Pediatrics, Mexico City, Mexico Department of Infectious Diseases The International Outreach Program, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 36:96-8. 2014..The HAI-associated mortality rate was 3.7%. Although the overall HAI rate is in line with published reports, the mortality rate was higher, suggesting the incorporation of more aggressive methods to treat infections at our hospital. ..
- Improving waste segregation while reducing costs in a tertiary-care hospital in a lower-middle-income country in Central AmericaKyle M Johnson
Department of Infectious Diseases, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
Waste Manag Res 31:733-8. 2013..Hospitals can benefit from maximising the use of available resources by sustaining best practices of HCW, especially those in hospitals in lower-middle-income countries...
- Infectious complications in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia treated in low-middle-income countriesMiguela A Caniza
a 1 Department of Infectious Diseases, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN, USA
Expert Rev Hematol 8:627-45. 2015..This review summarizes the challenges of managing the major categories of infections in children receiving treatment for ALL and provides updated practical recommendations for preventing and managing these infections in LMIC. ..
- Mucormycosis Rhinosinusitis at Diagnosis of Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia: Diagnostics and Management Challenges in a Low-Middle-income CountryElham Mandegari
Hospital Universitario, Tegucigalpa, Honduras Department of Infectious Diseases International Outreach Program, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN Department of Infectious Diseases, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 37:e173-7. 2015..Low-middle-income country hospitals can effectively treat invasive fungal diseases by providing adequate diagnostic and support services, which can improve the outcomes of pediatric cancer patients. ..