Mark B Powers
Affiliation: Southern Methodist University
- Do conversations with virtual avatars increase feelings of social anxiety?Mark B Powers
Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TX, USA
J Anxiety Disord 27:398-403. 2013..Overall, the data suggest that the novel technology allowing real time interaction/conversation in VR may prove useful for the treatment of social anxiety in future studies...
- Reliability and validity of the PDS and PSS-I among participants with PTSD and alcohol dependenceMark B Powers
Southern Methodist University, USA
J Anxiety Disord 26:617-23. 2012..In sum, the results showed that the PSS-I and PDS performed well in this population and can be used with confidence to assess PTSD diagnosis and symptom severity...
- D-cycloserine enhancement of fear extinction is specific to successful exposure sessions: evidence from the treatment of height phobiaJasper A J Smits
Department of Psychology, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas 75206, USA
Biol Psychiatry 73:1054-8. 2013..Therefore, we conducted a reanalysis of existing data to examine whether the effects of DCS on clinical outcome would vary as a function of response to the exposure session (i.e., exposure success)...
- Augmentation of exposure therapy with post-session administration of D-cycloserineCandyce D Tart
Department of Psychology, Southern Methodist University, USA
J Psychiatr Res 47:168-74. 2013..We believe the present study is the first published report on the efficacy of post-session administration of DCS in humans...
- The efficacy of vigorous-intensity exercise as an aid to smoking cessation in adults with elevated anxiety sensitivity: study protocol for a randomized controlled trialJasper A J Smits
Department of Psychology, Southern Methodist University, Dedman College, P, O, Box 750442, Dallas, TX 75275, USA
Trials 13:207. 2012..The current manuscript presents the rationale, study design and procedures, and design considerations of the Smoking Termination Enhancement Project (STEP)...
- Exploring exercise as an avenue for the treatment of anxiety disordersLindsey B Deboer
Southern Methodist University, 6116 N Central Expressway, Ste 1100, Dallas, TX 75206, USA
Expert Rev Neurother 12:1011-22. 2012..Likewise, studies that identify moderators of treatment efficacy will assist clinicians in deciding how and for whom to prescribe exercise...
- Threat reappraisal as a mediator of symptom change in cognitive-behavioral treatment of anxiety disorders: a systematic reviewJasper A J Smits
Department of Psychology, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TX 75206, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 80:624-35. 2012..Threat reappraisal is considered a key mediator underlying the effects of cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) for anxiety disorders. The present study systematically reviewed the evidence for the threat reappraisal mediation hypothesis...
- Physical activity as a moderator of the association between anxiety sensitivity and binge eatingLindsey B Deboer
Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TX 75275, USA
Eat Behav 13:194-201. 2012..The mediation model was also significant, but was not moderated by MPA or VPA. Theoretical and clinical implications are discussed...
- Attention training to reduce attention bias and social stressor reactivity: an attempt to replicate and extend previous findingsKristin Julian
Department of Psychology, Southern Methodist University, Dedman College, Dallas, TX 75275, USA
Behav Res Ther 50:350-8. 2012..The failure to replicate previous findings is discussed...
- Exercise Augmentation of Exposure Therapy for PTSD: Rationale and Pilot Efficacy DataMark B Powers
a Department of Psychology, Institute for Mental Health Research, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, USA
Cogn Behav Ther 44:314-27. 2015..65) and elevated BDNF (d = 1.08) relative to the PE only condition. This pilot study provides initial support for further investigation into exercise augmented exposure therapy...
- Behavioral therapies for treatment-seeking cannabis users: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsMichelle L Davis
Department of Psychology, The University of Texas, Austin, TX, USA
Eval Health Prof 38:94-114. 2015..Effect sizes were significantly larger for studies that included a WL control comparison versus those including active control comparisons, such that BT significantly outperformed WL controls but not active control comparisons. ..
- Reducing anxiety sensitivity with exerciseJasper A J Smits
Department of Psychology, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas 75275, USA
Depress Anxiety 25:689-99. 2008..To further study the potential beneficial role of prescriptive exercise for anxiety-related conditions, we examined the role of exercise in reducing fears of anxiety-related sensations (anxiety sensitivity)...
- The efficacy of cognitive-behavioral interventions for reducing anxiety sensitivity: a meta-analytic reviewJasper A J Smits
Department of Psychology, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TX, USA
Behav Res Ther 46:1047-54. 2008..Our review indicates that CBT is efficacious in reducing anxiety sensitivity. However, more research is needed to determine the mechanisms by which CBT exert its effects on anxiety sensitivity...