Stephanie L Shimada
- Sustained Use of Patient Portal Features and Improvements in Diabetes Physiological MeasuresStephanie L Shimada
Center for Healthcare Organization and Implementation Research CHOIR, Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital, Bedford, MA, United States
J Med Internet Res 18:e179. 2016..Personal health records (PHRs) have the potential to improve patient self-management for chronic conditions such as diabetes. However, evidence is mixed as to whether there is an association between PHR use and improved health outcomes...
- Personal health record reach in the Veterans Health Administration: a cross-sectional analysisStephanie Leah Shimada
Center for Healthcare Organization and Implementation Research eHealth Quality Enhancement Research Initiative, Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial VA Medical Center, Bedford, MA, United States
J Med Internet Res 16:e272. 2014..While millions of American veterans have registered for MHV, little is known about how a patient's health status may affect adoption and use of the personal health record...
- Patient-provider secure messaging in VA: variations in adoption and association with urgent care utilizationStephanie L Shimada
Center for Health Quality, Outcomes, and Economic Research, Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
Med Care 51:S21-8. 2013..This disruptive technology has the potential to support continuous, coordinated quality care, but limited evidence supports this connection...
- Market and beneficiary characteristics associated with enrollment in Medicare managed care plans and fee-for-serviceStephanie L Shimada
Center for Health Quality, Outcomes, and Economic Research, Bedford VA Medical Center, 200 Springs Road, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
Med Care 47:517-23. 2009..Past research has shown that Medicare managed care plans tend to attract healthier beneficiaries and that market characteristics such as managed care penetration may also affect risk selection...
- Personal health record use and its association with antiretroviral adherence: survey and medical record data from 1871 US veterans infected with HIVD Keith McInnes
VA QUERI Program and VA New England Healthcare System, Bedford VA Medical Center, 200 Springs Road, Building 70, Bedford, MA, 01730, USA
AIDS Behav 17:3091-100. 2013..Findings provide support for longitudinal studies and studies that identify which PHR functions (e.g. online medication refills, viewing lab results, secure messaging with providers) are most closely associated with medication adherence...
- The National Cancer Institute's Health Information National Trends Survey [HINTS]: a national cross-sectional analysis of talking to your doctor and other healthcare providers for health informationJulie E Volkman
eHealth Quality Enhancement Research Initiative, US Department of Veterans Affairs, 200 Springs Road, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
BMC Fam Pract 15:111. 2014..This study sought to understand the characteristics of patients that turn to their doctor or healthcare provider first for a recent health or medical information need...
- Veteran internet use and engagement with health information onlineThomas K Houston
eHealth Quality Enhancement Research Initiative and Center for Health Quality, Outcomes and Economic Research, Department of Veterans Affairs, 200 Springs Road 152, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
Mil Med 178:394-400. 2013..Veterans in VA are using the Internet for health information, and there is an opportunity to engage them more...
- Technology-assisted patient access to clinical information: an evaluation framework for blue buttonTimothy P Hogan
Center for Healthcare Organization and Implementation Research CHOIR, eHealth Quality Enhancement Research Initiative QUERI, National eHealth QUERI Coordinating Center, Bedford, MA, United States
JMIR Res Protoc 3:e18. 2014..Our analysis focuses on "Blue Button," a tool that many health care organizations are implementing as part of their Web-based patient portals...
- Development and evaluation of an internet and personal health record training program for low-income patients with HIV or hepatitis CD Keith McInnes
VA QUERI Program and Center for Health Quality, Outcomes, and Economic Research, ENRM VA Medical Center, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
Med Care 51:S62-6. 2013..Populations disconnected from the internet also tend to be disconnected from health care services...
- Examining the validity of AHRQ's patient safety indicators (PSIs): is variation in PSI composite score related to hospital organizational factors?Marlena H Shin
VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston, MA, USA
Med Care Res Rev 71:599-618. 2014..While we found some evidence of criterion validity, the extent to which variation in PSI rates is related to differences in hospitals' organizational structures/processes needs further study. ..
- The accuracy of clinician perceptions of "usual" blood pressure controlAdam J Rose
Center for Health Quality Outcomes and Economic Research, Bedford VA Medical Center, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:180-3. 2008..The term "clinical inertia" is used to describe the failure to manage a chronic condition aggressively enough to bring it under control. The underlying mechanisms for clinical inertia remain poorly understood...