Peter A LeWitt
Affiliation: SBM Consulting
- Advanced Parkinson disease treated with rotigotine transdermal system: PREFER StudyPeter A LeWitt
Clinical Neuroscience Center, Southfield, MI 48034, USA
Neurology 68:1262-7. 2007..In patients experiencing motor fluctuations, a major treatment challenge is the reduction of "off" time, particularly upon awakening. Rotigotine (Neupro) is a novel dopaminergic agonist with 24-hour transdermal delivery...
- Overnight switch from oral dopaminergic agonists to transdermal rotigotine patch in subjects with Parkinson diseasePeter A LeWitt
Department of Neurology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, and Henry Ford Hospital Franklin Pointe Medical Center, 26400 West 12 Mile Road, Southfield, MI 48034, USA
Clin Neuropharmacol 30:256-65. 2007....
- Protection against Parkinson's disease progression: clinical experiencePeter A LeWitt
Department of Neurology, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Neurotherapeutics 5:210-25. 2008..Beyond small-molecule pharmacology, gene therapy approaches, such as delivering neurotrophic substances (e.g., neurturin) by viral vector, are the next generation of treatment options...
- Open-label study assessment of safety and adverse effects of subcutaneous apomorphine injections in treating "off" episodes in advanced Parkinson diseasePeter A LeWitt
Department of Neurology, Wayne State University School of Medicine and Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI 48034, USA
Clin Neuropharmacol 32:89-93. 2009..To assess the safety and adverse effect profile of continued use of intermittent subcutaneous apomorphine to treat "off" episodes in subjects with advanced Parkinson disease...
- Levodopa therapeutics for Parkinson's disease: new developmentsPeter A LeWitt
Department of Neurology, Henry Ford Hospital, and the Department of Neurology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48034, USA
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 15:S31-4. 2009..This new research offers promise for improving outcomes with this highly effective therapy...
- Adenosine A2A receptor antagonist istradefylline (KW-6002) reduces "off" time in Parkinson's disease: a double-blind, randomized, multicenter clinical trial (6002-US-005)Peter A LeWitt
Department of Neurology, Henry Ford Hospital, Southfield, MI 48034, USA
Ann Neurol 63:295-302. 2008..Based on new understanding of nondopaminergic pathways involved in Parkinson's disease (PD) pathophysiology, a selective adenosine A(2A) receptor antagonist, istradefylline, shows promise for the treatment of PD...
- Pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic crossover comparison of two levodopa extension strategiesPeter A LeWitt
Department of Neurology, Henry Ford Hospital and Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Mov Disord 24:1319-24. 2009..803), and "on state with nontroublesome dyskinesia" was 18% for CLE and 7% for CL-CR (P = 0.03). Despite less "off" time with CLE, both formulations demonstrated similar mean PK values and marked intersubject PK variability...
- Clinical trials of neuroprotection for Parkinson's diseasePeter A LeWitt
Departments of Neurology, Psychiatry and Behavioral Neuroscience, Wayne State University School of Medicine, The William Beaumont Hospital Research Institute, Royal Oak, Michigan, USA
Neurology 63:S23-31. 2004
- Rotigotine transdermal system for long-term treatment of patients with advanced Parkinson's disease: results of two open-label extension studies, CLEOPATRA-PD and PREFERPeter A LeWitt
Department of Neurology, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI, USA
J Neural Transm (Vienna) 120:1069-81. 2013..2 points below baseline, respectively, at end of treatment. In these open-label studies, adjunctive rotigotine was efficacious with an acceptable safety and tolerability profile in patients with advanced PD for up to 6 years...
- Randomized clinical trial of fipamezole for dyskinesia in Parkinson disease (FJORD study)Peter A LeWitt
Departments of Neurology, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI, USA
Neurology 79:163-9. 2012..The primary study objective was to assess suppression of LID by fipamezole at day 28, as measured by the levodopa-induced dyskinesia scale (LIDS), a modification of the abnormal involuntary movement scale...
- Subcutaneously administered apomorphine: pharmacokinetics and metabolismPeter A LeWitt
Department of Neurology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Neurology 62:S8-11. 2004..The complexities of apomorphine uptake, distribution, and clearance probably contribute to its variability of clinical actions...
- Double-blind study of the actively transported levodopa prodrug XP21279 in Parkinson's diseasePeter A LeWitt
Department of Neurology, Henry Ford Hospital, West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA Department of Neurology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Mov Disord 29:75-82. 2014..XP21279-carbidopa significantly reduced variability in levodopa concentrations compared with carbidopa-levodopa...
- Cellular immune response to intrastriatally implanted allogeneic bone marrow stromal cells in a rat model of Parkinson's diseaseDianne M Camp
Division of Neurology, William Beaumont Hospital Research Institute, Royal Oak, Michigan 48073, USA
J Neuroinflammation 6:17. 2009....
- New developments in levodopa therapyPeter A LeWitt
Department of Neurology, Psychiatry and Behavioral Neuroscience, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Neurology 62:S9-16. 2004..Evidence suggests that altering the delivery of levodopa to provide a more continuous supply of this drug to the brain may result in improved control of PD symptoms...
- The Efficacy Profile of Rotigotine During the Waking Hours in Patients With Advanced Parkinson's Disease: A Post Hoc AnalysisPeter A LeWitt
Department of Neurology, Henry Ford Hospital and Department of Neurology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI Medical University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria Gardner McMaster Parkinson Center, University of Toledo, Toledo, OH UCB Pharma, Raleigh, NC and UCB Pharma, Monheim am Rhein, Germany
Clin Neuropharmacol 39:88-93. 2016..However, detailed analyses over the range of a day have not yet been performed. The objective was to examine the time course of the efficacy profile of rotigotine throughout the day...
- 3-hydroxykynurenine and other Parkinson's disease biomarkers discovered by metabolomic analysisPeter A LeWitt
Department of Neurology, Henry Ford Hospital, West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA School of Medicine, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Mov Disord 28:1653-60. 2013..The findings support involvement of excitotoxicity and oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of PD...
- Predicting the development of levodopa-induced dyskinesias: a presynaptic mechanism?Peter A LeWitt
From the Department of Neurology P A L, Henry Ford Hospital, Bloomfield the Department of Neurology P A L, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI and Center for Neurodegenerative and Neuroimmunologic Diseases M M M, Department of Neurology, Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ
Neurology 82:1574-5. 2014..However, fundamental questions about LID remain: by what mechanisms does it develop, and why don't all patients go on to experience LID after sustained levodopa exposure? ..
- Actively transported levodopa prodrug XP21279: a study in patients with Parkinson disease who experience motor fluctuationsPeter A LeWitt
Department of Neurology, Henry Ford Hospital, West Bloomfield, MI 48322, USA
Clin Neuropharmacol 35:103-10. 2012....
- CSF Nrf2 and HSPA8 in Parkinson's disease patients with and without LRRK2 gene mutationsDavid A Loeffler
Neurology Research Laboratory, Department of Neurology, Beaumont Hospital Royal Oak, Beaumont Health, 3601 West Thirteen Mile Road, Royal Oak, MI, 48073, USA
J Neural Transm (Vienna) 123:179-87. 2016..While CSF Nrf2 and HSPA8 do not appear to offer diagnostic biomarkers for PD, the associations between Nrf2 levels and UPDRS scores in LRRK2 + PD patients merit further investigation. ..
- Tardive dyskinesia caused by tetrabenazinePeter A LeWitt
Departments of Neurology, Henry Ford Hospital and Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48322, USA
Clin Neuropharmacol 36:92-3. 2013..There have been no prior reports of tardive dyskinesia with this drug...
- Lack of evidence for Nocardia asteroides in brain specimens from Lewy body-containing disordersLin Lu
Department of Neurology, William Beaumont Hospital Research Institute, 3601 West Thirteen Mile Road, Royal Oak, MI 48073, USA
Microb Pathog 39:205-11. 2005..4%; one case each of PD, DLB, and Alzheimer's disease), and none of the specimens was positive for Nocardia by PCR or Gram staining. These findings do not support an association of Nocardia with Lewy body-containing disorders...
- AAV2-GAD gene therapy for advanced Parkinson's disease: a double-blind, sham-surgery controlled, randomised trialPeter A LeWitt
Wayne State University School of Medicine, Parkinson s Disease and Movement Disorders Program, Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital, MI, USA
Lancet Neurol 10:309-19. 2011..We aimed to assess the effect of bilateral delivery of AAV2-GAD in the subthalamic nucleus compared with sham surgery in patients with advanced Parkinson's disease...
- TCH346 as a neuroprotective drug in Parkinson's disease: a double-blind, randomised, controlled trialC Warren Olanow
Department of Neurology and Neuroscience, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Lancet Neurol 5:1013-20. 2006..TCH346 is a potent anti-apoptotic drug that protects against loss of dopaminergic neurons in laboratory models. Our aim was to assess TCH346 as a neuroprotective drug in patients with Parkinson's disease...
- A perspective on adjunctive therapy for Parkinson disease with monoamine oxidase-B inhibitionPeter A LeWitt
Clin Neuropharmacol 30:305-7. 2007
- Apomorphine therapy in Parkinson's disease: a reviewIhtsham Ul Haq
Movement Disorders Program, University of Florida, Department of Neurology McKnight Brain Institute, 100 S Newell Drive, PO Box 100236, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0236, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 8:2799-809. 2007..In this review, the authors discuss the history, pharmacology, efficacy, safety and proper administration of apomorphine for treating 'off' states in Parkinson's disease, with a focus on intermittent subcutaneous administration...
- Double-blind, randomized, controlled trial of rasagiline as monotherapy in early Parkinson's disease patientsMatthew B Stern
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Mov Disord 19:916-23. 2004..05, Fisher's exact test). The frequency and types of adverse events reported by rasagiline-treated and placebo-treated patients were similar. These results suggest that rasagiline monotherapy is well tolerated and efficacious in early PD...
- Enteral levodopa/carbidopa infusion in advanced Parkinson disease: long-term exposureDag Nyholm
Department of Neuroscience, Neurology, Uppsala University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Clin Neuropharmacol 31:63-73. 2008..This is a retrospective analysis of the long-term clinical experience with this agent...
- Movement Disorder Society-sponsored revision of the Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale (MDS-UPDRS): Process, format, and clinimetric testing planChristopher G Goetz
Department of Neurological Sciences, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Mov Disord 22:41-7. 2007....
- Standardized training tools for the UPDRS activities of daily living scale: newly available teaching programChristopher G Goetz
Department of Neurological Sciences, Rush University, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mov Disord 18:1455-8. 2003..The written materials and videotape belong to the Movement Disorder Society and are available by contacting the MDS central office...
- Nocardia: A Novel Environmental Agent For Parkinsonism?Peter LeWitt; Fiscal Year: 2003..These outcomes will be significant because they should add to our understanding of the neurodegenerative process in PD, and could lead to improved means of diagnosis and treatment for individuals with this disorder. ..
- Southeastern Michigan Parkinson's Disease ProgramPeter LeWitt; Fiscal Year: 2006..This application also discusses concepts for three pharmacological agents that could be investigated in pilot studies and, if promising, in multicenter clinical trials for assessing neuroprotection. ..