Darcell P Scharff
Affiliation: Saint Louis University
- More than Tuskegee: understanding mistrust about research participationDarcell P Scharff
Department of Community Health and Associate Dean, Saint Louis University School of Public Health, 3545 Lafayette Ave, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 21:879-97. 2010..Researchers should incorporate strategies to reduce mistrust and thereby increase participation among African Americans...
- Factors associated with physical activity in women across the life span: implications for program developmentD P Scharff
Health Communications Research Laboratory, School of Public Health, Saint Louis University, MO 63108, USA
Women Health 29:115-34. 1999..Creative, flexible strategies that incorporate physical activity into the daily routine should be used in the program development...
- Working with communities to translate research into practiceDarcell P Scharff
School of Public Health, Saint Louis University, Salus Center, 3545 Lafayette Ave, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 14:94-8. 2008
- Bridging research and practice through competency-based public health educationDarcell P Scharff
School of Public Health, Saint Louis University, 3545 Lafayette Ave, Salus Center, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 14:131-7. 2008..Graduate students will thus be effectively prepared to respond to the changing demands of the field of public health...
- Barriers and facilitators of African American participation in Alzheimer disease biomarker researchMonique M Williams
Alzheimer s Disease Research Center, Department of Medicine, Washington University in St Louis, MO 63108, USA
Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 24:S24-9. 2010..Pervasive barriers impede African American participation in AD research but can be overcome through a sustained presence in the community...
- A qualitative assessment of factors that influence emergency medical services partnerships in prehospital researchJulie C Leonard
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Emergency Medicine, Washington University in St Louis School of Medicine, St Louis Children s Hospital, St Louis, MO, USA
Acad Emerg Med 19:161-73. 2012..The objective of this study was to explore the barriers and motivators to participating in research at the agency and provider levels and to solicit suggestions for improving the success of prehospital research projects...
- Do nutrition label readers eat healthier diets? Behavioral correlates of adults' use of food labelsM W Kreuter
Department of Community Health, School of Public Health, Saint Louis University, MO 63108, USA
Am J Prev Med 13:277-83. 1997..Reading and understanding nutrition labels on foods may be an important precursor to dietary change. However, little is known about how nutrition labels are used by consumers and what effect reading labels has on dietary behaviors...
- Physician recommendations for diet and physical activity: which patients get advised to change?M W Kreuter
Department of Community Health, School of Public Health, Saint Louis University, Missouri 63108, USA
Prev Med 26:825-33. 1997..However, studies show physicians are most likely to provide behavioral recommendations to patients who are already sick. Understanding factors that influence physicians' advising decisions can help broaden the reach of these activities...
- The impact of SLHS program on perinatal indicatorsBenjamin P Cooper
Brown School, Washington University in St Louis, Campus Box 1009, One Brookings Drive, St Louis, MO 63130, USA
Matern Child Health J 17:1158-65. 2013..Additionally, more rigorous experimental and quasi-experimental evaluation designs are needed to assess the impact of other Healthy Start programs around the country...
- Evaluating a train-the-trainer approach for improving capacity for evidence-based decision making in public healthLaura Yarber
College for Public Health and Social Justice, Saint Louis University, St Louis, MO, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 15:547. 2015..Louis has been taught by a transdisciplinary team multiple times with positive results. In order to scale up evidence-based practices, a train-the-trainer initiative was launched in 2010...
- Lessons learned from a decade of focused recruitment and training to develop minority public health professionalsMatthew W Kreuter
Health Communication Research Laboratory, Washington University, St Louis, MO63112, USA
Am J Public Health 101:S188-95. 2011....
- Factors influencing organ donation decisions by African Americans: a review of the literatureRichard S Kurz
Saint Louis University School of Public Health, Missouri 63104, USA
Med Care Res Rev 64:475-517. 2007..Interventions to influence decision making should emphasize both community education and the process of organ procurement...