Christine M Hoehner
Affiliation: Saint Louis University
- Active neighborhood checklist: a user-friendly and reliable tool for assessing activity friendlinessChristine M Hoehner
Prevention Research Center, Saint Louis University School of Public Health, 3545 Lafayette Avenue, St Louis, MO 63014, USA
Am J Health Promot 21:534-7. 2007..To test the reliability of the Active Neighborhood Checklist (the Checklist), a user-friendly audit tool for assessing neighborhood environmental supports for physical activity...
- Perceived and objective environmental measures and physical activity among urban adultsChristine M Hoehner
Prevention Research Center, Saint Louis University School of Public Health, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
Am J Prev Med 28:105-16. 2005..However, few studies have simultaneously assessed perceptions and objectively measured environmental factors and their relative association with transportation or recreational physical activity...
- How reliably do community members audit the neighborhood environment for its support of physical activity? Implications for participatory researchChristine M Hoehner
Department of Community Health, Saint Louis University School of Public Health, St Louis, Missouri 63104, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 12:270-7. 2006..60). With some formal training, this audit tool may be useful for advocacy and participatory research to assess the activity friendliness of neighborhood environments...
- Physical activity interventions in Latin America: a systematic reviewChristine M Hoehner
Prevention Research Center, Saint Louis University School of Public Health, St Louis, Missouri 63104, USA
Am J Prev Med 34:224-233. 2008....
- Perceived environmental correlates of physical activity for leisure and transportation in Curitiba, BrazilDiana C Parra
Prevention Research Center in St Louis, George Warren Brown School of Social Work, Washington University in St Louis, 660 S Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Prev Med 52:234-8. 2011..Physical activity (PA) has consistently been associated with perceived environmental characteristics...
- Physical activity interventions in Latin America: expanding and classifying the evidenceChristine M Hoehner
Division of Public Health Sciences and Alvin J Siteman Cancer Center, School of Medicine, Washington University in St Louis, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Am J Prev Med 44:e31-40. 2013....
- Measuring the built environment for physical activity: state of the scienceRoss C Brownson
Prevention Research Center in St Louis, George Warren Brown School of Social Work, Washington University in St Louis, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Am J Prev Med 36:S99-123.e12. 2009..In particular, further research is needed to improve the technical quality of measures, understand the relevance to various population groups, and understand the utility of measures for science and public health...
- Indicators of activity-friendly communities: an evidence-based consensus processLaura K Brennan Ramirez
Transtria LLC, St Louis, Missouri 63139, USA
Am J Prev Med 31:515-24. 2006..Investigators used a systematic review process to identify key indicators of activity-friendly communities that can assess and improve opportunities for regular physical activity...
- Scaling up of physical activity interventions in Brazil: how partnerships and research evidence contributed to policy actionDiana C Parra
1 Washington University in St Louis, Prevention Research Center, St Louis, MO, USA
Glob Health Promot 20:5-12. 2013..This example of scaling up is unprecedented for promoting health in the region and is an example that must be followed and evaluated...
- Page Avenue health impact assessment: building on diverse partnerships and evidence to promote a healthy communityChristine M Hoehner
Division of Public Health Sciences, Department of Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 S Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Health Place 18:85-95. 2012..It is hoped that this case study will inform future HIAs...
- Parks promoting physical activity: synthesis of findings from interventions in seven national parksChristine M Hoehner
Dept of Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
J Phys Act Health 7:S67-81. 2010..We synthesized the results of 7 National Park Service pilot interventions designed to increase awareness of the health benefits from participation in recreation at national parks and to increase physical activity by park visitors...
- Opportunities for integrating public health and urban planning approaches to promote active community environmentsChristine M Hoehner
Prevention Research Center, Saint Louis University School of Public Health, St Louis, Missouri, 3545 Lafayette Ave, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
Am J Health Promot 18:14-20. 2003..By collaborating to build synergism in research and dissemination, public health and urban planning professionals can enhance efforts to increase the number of communities that promote active living...
- Concordance of commercial data sources for neighborhood-effects studiesChristine M Hoehner
Department of Surgery and The Alvin J Siteman Cancer Center, School of Medicine, Washington University, St Louis, MO, USA
J Urban Health 87:713-25. 2010..6%), employee size (weighted kappa = 0.63), and sales volume (weighted kappa = 0.04). Researchers should cautiously interpret findings when using these commercial databases to yield measures of the neighborhood environment...
- Designing for dissemination among public health researchers: findings from a national survey in the United StatesRoss C Brownson
Washington University in St Louis, 621 Skinker Boulevard, St Louis, MO 63130, USA
Am J Public Health 103:1693-9. 2013..We have described the practice of designing for dissemination among researchers in the United States with the intent of identifying gaps and areas for improvement...
- Review of measures of worksite environmental and policy supports for physical activity and healthy eatingJ Aaron Hipp
Brown School, Prevention Research Center, Washington University in St Louis, One Brookings Dr, Campus Box 1196, St Louis, MO 63130 Email
Prev Chronic Dis 12:E65. 2015..The objective of this study was to assess the state of science concerning available measures of worksite environmental and policy supports for physical activity (PA) and healthy eating (HE)...
- Behavior-over-time graphs: assessing perceived trends in healthy eating and active living environments and behaviors across 49 communitiesChristine M Hoehner
Transtria LLC, St Louis, Missouri Drs Hoehner and Brennan and Ms Kemner Department of Systems Science and Industrial Engineering, State University of New York at Binghamton Dr Sabounchi and Social Systems Design Lab, Brown School of Social Work and Public Health, Washington University in St Louis, St Louis, Missouri Dr Hovmand
J Public Health Manag Pract 21:S45-54. 2015....
- Commuting distance, cardiorespiratory fitness, and metabolic riskChristine M Hoehner
Division of Public Health Sciences, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 S Euclid Ave, Campus Box 8100, St Louis MO 63110, USA
Am J Prev Med 42:571-8. 2012..Limited evidence exists on the metabolic and cardiovascular risk correlates of commuting by vehicle, a habitual form of sedentary behavior...
- Association of the insulin resistance syndrome and microalbuminuria among nondiabetic native Americans. The Inter-Tribal Heart ProjectChristine M Hoehner
Department of Epidemiology, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30329, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 13:1626-34. 2002..Health promotion efforts should focus on lowering the prevalence of hypertension, as well as glucose intolerance and obesity, in this population at high risk for renal and cardiovascular disease...