Derek S Brown
Affiliation: RTI International
- Estimating older adults' preferences for walking programs via conjoint analysisDerek S Brown
Research Triangle Institute, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA
Am J Prev Med 36:201-7.e4. 2009..It was hypothesized that cash incentives would increase acceptability and effectiveness while a group participation requirement would place a net burden on participants...
- Medical costs attributable to child maltreatment a systematic review of short- and long-term effectsDerek S Brown
Public Health Economics Program, RTI International, 3040 Cornwallis Road, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Am J Prev Med 41:627-35. 2011..To determine the range and quality of currently available estimates and identify the gaps and needs for future research, this article reviews research on medical costs of child maltreatment...
- Mothers' preferences and willingness to pay for vaccinating daughters against human papillomavirusDerek S Brown
RTI International, 3040 Cornwallis Road, PO Box 12194, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709 2194, United States
Vaccine 28:1702-8. 2010..These findings provide new data on how HPV vaccines are viewed and valued by mothers, and how uptake may change in the context of evolving vaccine technology and as new data are reported on duration and efficacy...
- Use of six clinical preventive services in TRICARE Prime compared to insured, managed care, and all U.S. populations and Healthy People 2010Derek S Brown
RTI International, 3040 Cornwallis Road, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709 2194, USA
Prev Med 48:389-91. 2009..Prior studies have reported on use of preventive care among select MHS subgroups, but broader performance is undocumented. This study addresses that gap by comparing TRICARE Prime beneficiaries to select U.S. populations...
- Methods for estimating medical expenditures attributable to intimate partner violenceDerek S Brown
RTI International, Public Health Economics Program, 3040 Cornwallis Road, PO Box 12194, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709 2194, USA
J Interpers Violence 23:1747-66. 2008..Among the approaches, there is no clear gold standard nor any evidence of bias...
- Individual and aggregate years-of-life-lost associated with overweight and obesityEric A Finkelstein
RTI International, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 18:333-9. 2010..Unless something is done to reduce the rising prevalence of those with BMIs >35, or to mitigate the impact of obesity or its correlates on YLLs, expected life expectancy for US adults may decrease in the future...
- A randomized study of financial incentives to increase physical activity among sedentary older adultsEric A Finkelstein
RTI International, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Prev Med 47:182-7. 2008..We sought to test if financial incentives for walking could increase physical activity among sedentary older adults...
- The lifetime medical cost burden of overweight and obesity: implications for obesity preventionEric A Finkelstein
RTI International, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 16:1843-8. 2008..Ironically, Medicare has a greater incentive to prevent obesity because when an obese 65 year old enters the program, his/her costs are immediate and higher than costs for normal weight individuals...
- Why does the private sector underinvest in obesity prevention and treatment?Eric A Finkelstein
RTI International and RTI UNC Center of Excellence in Health Promotion Economics, USA
N C Med J 67:310-2. 2006
- Changing perceptions of the childhood obesity epidemicW Douglas Evans
RTI, Washington, DC 20036, USA
Am J Health Behav 30:167-76. 2006..To examine changes in public attitudes about childhood obesity and support for prevention...
- Morbid Obesity and Use of Second Generation Antipsychotics among Adolescents in Foster Care: Evidence from MedicaidBenjamin T Allaire
RTI International, 3040 E Cornwallis Road, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, United States
Child Youth Serv Rev 67:27-31. 2016..A principal risk factor for such exacerbation is the use of second generation antipsychotics (SGAs). We examine the association between receiving a morbid obesity diagnosis and SGA prescriptions among adolescents in foster care...
- Do obese persons comprehend their personal health risks?Eric A Finkelstein
Public Health Economics Program, RTI International, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709 2194, USA
Am J Health Behav 32:508-16. 2008..To test whether overweight and obese individuals believe they are at greater risk of obesity-related diseases and premature mortality...
- A cost-benefit simulation model of coverage for bariatric surgery among full-time employeesEric A Finkelstein
RTI International, PO Box 12194, 3040 Cornwallis Road, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709 2194, USA
Am J Manag Care 11:641-6. 2005..To use a simulation model to estimate the costs and benefits of bariatric surgery among full-time employees...
- Monitoring visual status: why patients do or do not comply with practice guidelinesFrank A Sloan
Department of Economics, Box 90097, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, 27708, USA
Health Serv Res 39:1429-48. 2004..To determine factors affecting compliance with guidelines for annual eye examinations for persons diagnosed with diabetes mellitus (DM) or age-related macular degeneration (ARMD)...
- Who Wants Long-Term Care Insurance? A Stated Preference Survey of Attitudes, Beliefs, and CharacteristicsBenjamin T Allaire
RTI International, Research Triangle Park, NC, USA
Inquiry 53:. 2016..While support for mandatory LTCI is low overall, it is strongest among racial/ethnic minorities and people with health problems, who potentially have the most to gain. ..
- Medicaid expenditures on psychotropic medications for maltreated children: a study of 36 StatesRamesh Raghavan
Dr Raghavan, Dr Brown, Dr Garfield, and Ms Ross are with the Brown School, Washington University in St Louis, St Louis, Missouri e mail Dr Raghavan is also with the Department of Psychiatry, Washington University in St Louis Mr Allaire is with RTI International, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
Psychiatr Serv 65:1445-51. 2014..This study aimed to quantify the magnitude of Medicaid expenditures incurred in the purchase of psychotropic drugs for these children...
- The role of price, sociodemographic factors, and health in the demand for bariatric surgeryEric A Finkelstein
RTI International, 3040 Cornwallis Road, PO Box 12194, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709 2194, USA
Am J Manag Care 11:630-7. 2005....