Affiliation: RAND Corporation
- SEaRCH™ expert panel process: streamlining the link between evidence and practiceIan Coulter
RAND Corporation, 1776 Main Street, Santa Monica, CA, 90401, USA
BMC Res Notes 9:16. 2016..Such conclusions are discouraging to clinicians and patients who need better guidance on the decisions they make every day...
- The United States Chiropractic Workforce: An alternative or complement to primary care?Matthew A Davis
Center for Health Policy Research, The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice, 35 Centerra Parkway, Lebanon, NH, 03766, USA
Chiropr Man Therap 20:35. 2012..abstract:..
- Oral health status and the epidemiologic paradox within Latino immigrant groupsVladimir W Spolsky
Division of Public Health and Community Dentistry, School of Dentistry, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
BMC Oral Health 12:39. 2012..According to the United States census, there are 28 categories that define "Hispanic/Latinos." This paper compares differences in oral health status between Mexican immigrants and other Latino immigrant groups...
- Economic analysis of complementary, alternative, and integrative medicine: considerations raised by an expert panelIan D Coulter
Health Unit, RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, CA, USA
BMC Complement Altern Med 13:191. 2013..An international panel of experts was convened to examine the challenges faced in conducting economic analyses of Complementary, Alternative and Integrative Medicine (CAIM)...
- Antioxidants vitamin C and vitamin e for the prevention and treatment of cancerIan D Coulter
RAND, Southern California Evidence Based Practice Center, Santa Monica, CA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:735-44. 2006..To evaluate the evidence of the supplements vitamin C and vitamin E for treatment and prevention of cancer...
- Altruism revisited: a comparison of medical, law and business students' altruistic attitudesIan D Coulter
RAND Health, RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, California, USA
Med Educ 41:341-5. 2007..This study compares the altruistic attitudes of medical, legal and business students...
- Evidence based complementary and alternative medicine: promises and problemsIan D Coulter
Samueli Institute, UCLA School of Dentistry, RAND, Santa Monica, Southern California University of Health Sciences, Corona del Mar, CA 92625, USA
Forsch Komplementmed 14:102-8. 2007..It examines both the difficulties and the challenges of doing research to establish EBCAM. The paper also examines the political context of the demand for evidence- based practice (EBP) for CAM...
- Integrative health care under review: an emerging fieldIan D Coulter
RAND Corp, Santa Monica, Calif 90401 2138, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 33:690-710. 2010..The purpose of this study was to review the research literature for the emerging field of Integrative Medicine/Integrative Health Care (IM) using the methods of systematic review...
- Comparative effectiveness research: does the emperor have clothes?Ian D Coulter
University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 17:8-15. 2011....
- Interprofessional referral patterns in an integrated medical systemIan D Coulter
UCLA School of Dentistry, California, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 28:170-4. 2005..To determine the interreferral patterns among physicians and complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) providers in an independent practice association integrated medical system...
- Chiropractic in North America: a descriptive analysisIan D Coulter
School of Dentistry, University of California at Los Angeles, California, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 28:83-9. 2005..This paper provides descriptive data on chiropractors, their practice, and their patients in North America in the past decade...
- Sharing the mantle of primary female care: physicians, nurse practitioners, and physician assistantsI Coulter
RAND, Santa Monica, CA 90407, USA
J Am Med Womens Assoc 55:100-3. 2000..To examine the role that nurse practitioners (NPs) and physician assistants (PAs) play in women's health care as part of a larger study assessing the use of NPs and PAs as primary care practitioners...
- Associations of self-reported oral health with physical and mental health in a nationally representative sample of HIV persons receiving medical careI D Coulter
School of Dentistry, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Qual Life Res 11:57-70. 2002..The impact of oral health on HIV patients has not been sufficiently documented...
- Self-reported oral health of enrollees in capitated and fee-for-service dental benefit plansIan Coulter
RAND, Santa Monica, Calif, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 135:1606-15. 2004..This article examines the impact of different dental plan types, dental markets, premiums, out-of-pocket costs and enrollee demographics on the enrollees' perceived oral health status...
- Patients using chiropractors in North America: who are they, and why are they in chiropractic care?Ian D Coulter
RAND, 1700 Main Street, P O Box 2138, Santa Monica, California 90407 2138, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:291-6; discussion 297-8. 2002..S. population in 1997, and chiropractors accounted for 31% of the total estimated number of visits. Despite this high level of use, there is little empirical information about who uses chiropractic care or why...
- Evidence-based dentistry and health services research: is one possible without the other?I D Coulter
UCLA School of Dentistry, Division of Public Health and Community Dentistry and Southern California Evidence Based Practice Center, RAND, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1668, USA
J Dent Educ 65:714-24. 2001..The conclusion to be drawn is that evidence-based dentistry needs HSR if it is to fulfill the promise currently held for it in the profession...
- Use of dental care by HIV-infected medical patientsI D Coulter
UCLA School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Dent Res 79:1356-61. 2000..We conclude that, in spite of the high rate of oral disease in persons with HIV, many do not use dental care regularly, and that use varies by patient characteristics and availability of a regular source of dental care...
- A comparison of unmet needs for dental and medical care among persons with HIV infection receiving care in the United StatesK C Heslin
Department of Health Services, UCLA School of Public Health, Room 31 254A, Center for Health Sciences CHS, 10833 Le Conte Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Public Health Dent 61:14-21. 2001..Using the domains specified in the Behavioral Model of Health Services Use, this paper examines the correlates of unmet needs for dental and medical care in a nationally representative sample of patients with HIV...
- Is health services research the Holy Grail of complementary and alternative medicine research?Ian D Coulter
University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 14:40-5. 2008..This article looks at HSR in relationship to evidence-based practice and will discuss the limitations and dangers of the view of CAM from the perspective of HSR using chiropractic studies as an exemplar...
- Variations in provider conceptions of integrative medicineAn Fu Hsiao
UCI Center for Health Policy Research Irvine, CA, USA
Soc Sci Med 62:2973-87. 2006..They advocated an open-minded perspective about other healing traditions, promoting co-management with and making referrals to practitioners of other paradigms, and treating patients with both CAM and conventional healing modalities...
- A Self-Report Measure of Clinicians' Orientation toward Integrative MedicineAn Fu Hsiao
UCLA Department of Medicine, Division of GIM HSR, 911 Broxton Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1736, USA
Health Serv Res 40:1553-69. 2005..Because integration of CAM with conventional medicine can have important implications for health care, we developed a survey instrument to assess clinicians' orientation toward integrative medicine...
- Measures in chiropractic research: choosing patient-based outcome assessmentsRaheleh Khorsan
Integrative Medicine and Military Medical Research, Samueli Institute, Corona del Mar, CA 92625, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 31:355-75. 2008....
- Randomized controlled trials as evidence in legal disputes about the benefits of complementary and alternative medicineIan D Coulter
University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 14:60-4. 2008
- Evidence summaries and synthesis: necessary but insufficient approach for determining clinical practice of integrated medicine?Ian D Coulter
Clinical Research and Integrative Medicine, Samueli Institute, 2101 East Coast Highway, Suite 300, Corona del Mar, CA 921625, USA
Integr Cancer Ther 5:282-6. 2006..The challenge here, however, is to develop standards for judging quality observation studies. In conclusion, systematic reviews and syntheses of evidence are a necessary but an insufficient method for making clinical decisions...
- Putting the practice into evidence-based dentistryIan D Coulter
Section of Public Health and Community Dentistry, University of California Los Angeles, School of Dentistry, 90095, USA
J Calif Dent Assoc 35:45-9. 2007..In this paper, it is argued that, for dentistry to enter into the brave new world of evidence-based practice, it will require some rethinking of the research enterprise in the profession...
- Biofeedback interventions for gastrointestinal conditions: a systematic reviewIan D Coulter
University of California, Los Angeles School of Dentistry, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 8:76-83. 2002..To review evidence for the efficacy of biofeedback in the treatment of gastrointestinal problems...
- Patient-based outcome assessment instruments in acupuncture researchRaheleh Khorsan
Military Medical Research and Integrative Medicine, Samueli Institute, Corona del Mar, CA 92625, USA
J Altern Complement Med 16:27-35. 2010....
- Oral health findings for HIV-infected adult medical patients from the HIV Cost and Services Utilization StudyJames R Freed
Division of Public Health and Community Dentistry, University of California, Los Angeles School of Dentistry, 90095 1668, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 136:1396-405. 2005..to provide national estimates of adult medical patients who are HIV-positive. This article presents descriptive oral health findings from that study...
- Self-reported satisfaction of enrollees in capitated and fee-for-service dental benefit plansIan D Coulter
RAND, Santa Monica, CA, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 135:1458-66; quiz 1469. 2004..This article examines the impact of capitated, or CAP, and fee-for-service, or FFS, dental benefit plans on the enrollees' satisfaction with their plans and their satisfaction with their dentists...
- A longitudinal analysis of unmet need for oral treatment in a national sample of medical HIV patientsMarvin Marcus
UCLA School of Dentistry, Box 951668, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1668, USA
Am J Public Health 95:73-5. 2005..Disparities in unmet need are related to socioeconomic status rather than to disease stage or ethnicity...
- Oral white patches in a national sample of medical HIV patients in the era of HAARTMarvin Marcus
Division of Public Health and Community Dentistry, UCLA School of Dentistry, International Center for Dental Health Policy, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1668, USA
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 33:99-106. 2005..This paper examines the relationships between social, behavioral and medical aspects of HIV infection and reporting an occurrence of oral white patches (OWP) by HIV-infected patients...
- The rise and rise of complementary and alternative medicine: a sociological perspectiveIan D Coulter
La Trobe University Albury Wodonga Campus, Wodonga, Victoria 3689, Australia
Med J Aust 180:587-9. 2004..The movement surrounding evidence-based healthcare may provide some answers, but will not settle the issue of compatibility. CAM is here to stay and will continue to present challenges for conventional medicine on how to respond...
- Case Study of Hosp Based Center for Integrative MedicineIan Coulter; Fiscal Year: 2004..A detailed case study, using qualitative and quantitative research methods will yield a rich description that can facilitate future quantitative studies over a broader range of organizational models of integrative medicine. ..