- Assessing reliability of categorical substance use measures with latent class analysis
Brian P Flaherty
The Pennsylvania State University, S 159 Henderson Building, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 68:S7-20. 2002
..which classes of people are measured well and which are not; (2). which items perform well and which do not; and (3). whether items need to be altered or added in order to measure and identify particular classes better...
- Most smokeless tobacco use is not a causal gateway to cigarettes: using order of product use to evaluate causation in a national US sample
Lynn T Kozlowski
Department of Biobehavioral Health, Pennsylvania State University, PA, USA
Addiction 98:1077-85. 2003
..To evaluate non-causal and causal patterns of smokeless tobacco (SLT) and cigarette use; to assess the prevalence of 'non-gateway' and possible 'gateway' patterns of SLT use...
- Using data augmentation to obtain standard errors and conduct hypothesis tests in latent class and latent transition analysis
Stephanie T Lanza
The Methodology Center, Pennsylvania State University, State College, PA 16801, USA
Psychol Methods 10:84-100. 2005
..DA is demonstrated with an example involving tests of ethnic differences, gender differences, and an Ethnicity x Gender interaction in the development of adolescent problem behavior...
- Regular smokeless tobacco use is not a reliable predictor of smoking onset when psychosocial predictors are included in the model
RICHARD J O'CONNOR
Department of Biobehavioral Health, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 5:535-43. 2003
..Tomar's analysis should not be used as reliable evidence that smokeless tobacco may be a starter product for cigarettes...
- Most smokeless tobacco use does not cause cigarette smoking: results from the 2000 National Household Survey on Drug Abuse
RICHARD J O'CONNOR
Department of Biobehavioral Health, Pennsylvania State University, 315 East Health and Human Development, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Addict Behav 30:325-36. 2005
..This is likely due to linked experimentation. We argue that that the majority of SLT use cannot cause smoking, such that SLT effects on smoking initiation are minimal at best. Policy implications of these findings are discussed...
- Measurement and design issues in tobacco and drug use research
Linda M Collins
Drug Alcohol Depend 68:S1-2. 2002
- The natural history of college smoking: trajectories of daily smoking during the freshman year
Craig R Colder
University at Buffalo, State University of New York 14260 4110, USA
Addict Behav 31:2212-22. 2006
..Substantial individual variability in levels of smoking was observed. These findings provide new insights into college smoking, and have implications for assessment, policy, intervention, and future directions for research...
- Conceptual and methodological issues for research on tobacco-related health disparities
Richard R Clayton
University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA
Addiction 102:1-4. 2007
- Testing the degree of cross-sectional and longitudinal dependence between two discrete dynamic processes
Brian P Flaherty
Department of Psychology, University of Washington, Seatle, WA 98195 1525, USA
Dev Psychol 44:468-80. 2008
..Recent psychological state and recent substance use were found to be associated cross-sectionally and longitudinally, implying that change in recent substance use was related to change in recent psychological state...