Affiliation: Pennsylvania State University
- Evolutionary biology: chromosome chain makes a linkLaura Carrel
Nature 432:817-8. 2004
- X-inactivation profile reveals extensive variability in X-linked gene expression in femalesLaura Carrel
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
Nature 434:400-4. 2005..This suggests a remarkable and previously unsuspected degree of expression heterogeneity among females...
- Molecular biology. "X"-rated chromosomal rendezvousLaura Carrel
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Science 311:1107-9. 2006
- Genomic environment predicts expression patterns on the human inactive X chromosomeLaura Carrel
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS Genet 2:e151. 2006..Thus, our results strongly support the role of L1s in X inactivation, yet indicate that a chromatin microenvironment composed of multiple genomic sequence elements determines expression status of X chromosome genes...
- Deletion of an X-inactivation boundary disrupts adjacent gene silencingLindsay M Horvath
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Pennsylvania State College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS Genet 9:e1003952. 2013..Additionally, the distal XCI boundary normally plays an essential role in preventing nearby genes from escaping XCI. ..
- Escape from X chromosome inactivation is an intrinsic property of the Jarid1c locusNan Li
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Intercollege Graduate Program in Genetics, Pennsylvania State College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:17055-60. 2008..This transgene approach will enable further dissection of key elements of escape domains and allow rigorous testing of specific genomic sequences on inactive X expression...
- Dosage compensation and gene expression on the mammalian X chromosome: one plus one does not always equal twoKatie E Prothero
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Chromosome Res 17:637-48. 2009..Moreover, escape genes give insight into how X chromosome inactivation is spread and maintained on the X...
- An ectopic human XIST gene can induce chromosome inactivation in postdifferentiation human HT-1080 cellsLisa L Hall
Department of Cell Biology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:8677-82. 2002..These results have fundamental significance for understanding genomic programming in early development...
- The DNA sequence of the human X chromosomeMark T Ross
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SA, UK
Nature 434:325-37. 2005..Of this number, 168 have been explained by mutations in 113 X-linked genes, which in many cases were characterized with the aid of the DNA sequence...
- An adjacent pair of human NUDT genes on chromosome X are preferentially expressed in testis and encode two new isoforms of diphosphoinositol polyphosphate phosphohydrolaseKiyoshi Hidaka
Inositide Signaling Section, Laboratory of Signal Transduction, NIEHS, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
J Biol Chem 277:32730-8. 2002..The hDIPP3 pair add tissue-specific diversity to the molecular mechanisms regulating diphosphoinositol polyphosphate turnover...