Affiliation: Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation
- R-rated movies, bedroom televisions, and initiation of smoking by white and black adolescentsChristine Jackson
Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation, Chapel Hill Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1516 E Franklin Street, Chapel Hill, NC 27514, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 161:260-8. 2007..To test movie exposure and television use as predictors of smoking initiation among white and black adolescents who had never smoked cigarettes...
- Cigarette consumption during childhood and persistence of smoking through adolescenceChristine Jackson
Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation, Chapel Hill Center, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 158:1050-6. 2004..The childhood cause of adolescent smoking requires prospective study...
- Enabling parents who smoke to prevent their children from initiating smoking: results from a 3-year intervention evaluationChristine Jackson
Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation, Chapel Hill Center, 1516 E Franklin Street, Ste 200, Chapel Hill, NC 27514, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 160:56-62. 2006..To evaluate effects of a home-based antismoking socialization program on the initiation of smoking among children whose parents smoke...
- Sexy media matter: exposure to sexual content in music, movies, television, and magazines predicts black and white adolescents' sexual behaviorJane D Brown
School of Journalism and Mass Communication, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 3365, USA
Pediatrics 117:1018-27. 2006..To assess over time whether exposure to sexual content in 4 mass media (television, movies, music, and magazines) used by early adolescents predicts sexual behavior in middle adolescence...
- Attributes that differentiate children who sip alcohol from abstinent peersChristine Jackson
Division of Public Health and Environment, RTI International, 3040 Cornwallis Road, Hobbs 143, PO Box 12194, Research Triangle Park, NC, 27709 2194, USA
J Youth Adolesc 42:1687-95. 2013..Research is needed to test prospectively for continuity between alcohol risk attributes present in middle childhood and future alcohol use...
- Early adolescents' cognitive susceptibility to initiating sexual intercourseKelly Ladin L'Engle
Teen Media study, School of Journalism and Mass Communication, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA
Perspect Sex Reprod Health 38:97-105. 2006..Better methods for investigating sexual risk before the initiation of sexual intercourse are needed to support programming for younger adolescents, especially for abstinent adolescents who are susceptible to initiating intercourse...
- Reducing Children's Susceptibility to Alcohol Use: Effects of a Home-Based Parenting ProgramChristine Jackson
RTI International, 3040 East Cornwallis Rd, Durham, NC, 27709, USA
Prev Sci 17:615-25. 2016..Additional research is needed to link alcohol-specific socialization during childhood with adolescent drinking outcomes. ..
- Perceived legitimacy of parental authority and tobacco and alcohol use during early adolescenceChristine Jackson
Department of Health Behavior and Health Education, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
J Adolesc Health 31:425-32. 2002....
- Double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study of adjunctive quetiapine SR in the treatment of PMS/PMDDChristine Jackson
University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Hum Psychopharmacol 30:425-34. 2015....
- Anti-smoking parenting practices: recall by and effect on children's risk of smoking after 3 yearsChristine Jackson
Research Triangle Institute, Durham, NC, USA
Int J Public Health 56:263-70. 2011....
- A prospective study of perinatal depression and trauma history in pregnant minority adolescentsSamantha Meltzer-Brody
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 208:211.e1-7. 2013....
- Using anti-tobacco industry messages to prevent smoking among high-risk adolescentsJames F Thrasher
Department of Health Behavior ealth Education, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7440, USA
Health Educ Res 21:325-37. 2006..Overall, these results suggest that anti-industry messages are a promising strategy for preventing smoking among high- and low-risk adolescents alike...
- Exposure to smoking imagery in popular films and adolescent smoking in MexicoJames F Thrasher
Department of Health Promotion, Education, and Behavior, University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina 29208, USA
Am J Prev Med 35:95-102. 2008....
- Does tobacco marketing undermine the influence of recommended parenting in discouraging adolescents from smoking?John P Pierce
Cancer Prevention and Control Program, Cancer Center, University of California San Diego Pierce, Distefan, White, Gilpin, San Diego, California 92093 0645, USA
Am J Prev Med 23:73-81. 2002..Our objective was to examine whether tobacco-industry marketing practices undermine the protective effect of recommended authoritative parenting against adolescent smoking...
- Mistrusting companies, mistrusting the tobacco industry: clarifying the context of tobacco prevention efforts that focus on the tobacco industryJames F Thrasher
Department of Health Promotion, School of Public Health, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
J Health Soc Behav 47:406-22. 2006..These results suggest that anti-tobacco industry campaigns resonate with youth because of youths' trust-related values and expectations...