THOMAS P O'TOOLE
- Tailoring Outreach Efforts to Increase Primary Care Use Among Homeless Veterans: Results of a Randomized Controlled TrialTHOMAS P O'TOOLE
Providence VA Medical Center, 830 Chalkstone Ave, Providence, RI, 02908, USA
J Gen Intern Med 30:886-98. 2015..Homeless individuals often have significant unmet health care needs that are critical to helping them leave homelessness. However, engaging them in primary and mental health care services is often elusive and difficult to achieve...
- Primary care and youth mental health in Ireland: qualitative study in deprived urban areasDorothy Leahy
Graduate Entry Medical School, University of Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
BMC Fam Pract 14:194. 2013....
- Applying the chronic care model to homeless veterans: effect of a population approach to primary care on utilization and clinical outcomesTHOMAS P O'TOOLE
Providence Veterans Affairs Medical Center for Systems, Outcomes, and Quality in Chronic Disease and Rehabilitation, Providence, RI 02908 4799, USA
Am J Public Health 100:2493-9. 2010..We compared a population-tailored approach to primary care for homeless veterans with a usual care approach...
- Benefits of a primary care clinic co-located and integrated in a mental health setting for veterans with serious mental illnessPaul A Pirraglia
Systems Outcomes and Quality in Chronic disease and Rehabilitation, Providence VA Medical Center, 830 Chalkstone Ave, Bldg 32, Providence, RI 02908, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 9:E51. 2012..We tested whether implementation of such a program affected health service use and cardiovascular risk factor control among veterans with serious mental illness who had previously demonstrated limited primary care engagement...
- Aversion to injection limits acceptability of extended-release naltrexone among homeless, alcohol-dependent patientsPeter D Friedmann
Center on System, Outcomes and Quality in Chronic Disease and Rehabilitation, Research Service, Providence Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Subst Abus 34:94-6. 2013..Clinical trials suggest that depot extended-release naltrexone (XR-NTX) is efficacious in reducing alcohol consumption among alcohol-dependent subjects...
- Building care systems to improve access for high-risk and vulnerable veteran populationsTHOMAS P O'TOOLE
Providence VA Medical Center, 830 Chalkstone Avenue, Providence, RI 02918, USA
J Gen Intern Med 26:683-8. 2011..The resulting lack of treatment engagement makes these vulnerable patient populations susceptible to poor health outcomes and an over-reliance on emergency department-based care...
- Building high functioning clinical teams through quality improvement initiativesTHOMAS P O'TOOLE
Chief, Primary Care, Providence VA Medical Center, Providence, RI, USA
Qual Prim Care 19:13-22. 2011..Team-based care has consistently been associated with improved clinical outcomes. However, strategies for promoting and sustaining a team-based approach in family medicine practice are more elusive...
- Colocated general medical care and preventable hospital admissions for veterans with serious mental illnessPaul A Pirraglia
Providence Department of VeteransAffairs VA Medical Center, Providence, RI02908 4799, USA
Psychiatr Serv 62:554-7. 2011..This study examined whether veterans with serious mental illness in mental health settings with colocated general medical care had fewer hospitalizations for ambulatory care-sensitive conditions than veterans in other settings...