Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Oregon Health and Science University
- Regulation of the small GTPase Rap1 and extracellular signal-regulated kinases by the costimulatory molecule CTLA-4Tara J Dillon
Vollum Institute, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
Mol Cell Biol 25:4117-28. 2005..We demonstrate that CTLA-4 activates Rap1, and we propose that intracellular signals from CTLA-4 antagonize CD28, at least in part, at the level of Rap1...
- Multiple roles of Rap1 in hematopoietic cells: complementary versus antagonistic functionsPhilip J S Stork
Vollum Institute, L474, Oregon Health and Sciences University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Rd, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Blood 106:2952-61. 2005..Recent studies implicating Rap1 in the maturation of megakaryocytes, the pathogenesis of chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML), and activation of peripheral T cells will receive particular attention...
- Crosstalk between cAMP and MAP kinase signaling in the regulation of cell proliferationPhilip J S Stork
Vollum Institute and the Dept of Cell and Developmental Biology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97201, USA
Trends Cell Biol 12:258-66. 2002..Emerging new data suggest that one of these mechanisms might involve the activation of the GTPase Rap1, which can activate or inhibit ERK signaling in a cell-specific manner...
- ERK signaling: duration, duration, durationPhilip J S Stork
Vollum Institute, L 474, Oregon Health Sciences University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Rd, Portland, Oregon 97201 3098, USA
Cell Cycle 1:315-7. 2002
- Does Rap1 deserve a bad Rap?Philip J S Stork
Vollum Institute, L474 Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland 97201, USA
Trends Biochem Sci 28:267-75. 2003..These diverse functions of Rap1 underscore that the activation and action of Rap1 are regulated by complex factors that are cell-type specific...
- Mid-gestation ovine cardiomyocytes are vulnerable to mitotic suppression by thyroid hormoneNatasha N Chattergoon
Heart Research Center, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Reprod Sci 19:642-9. 2012..Contrary to our hypothesis, elevated levels of T(3) powerfully inhibit proliferation of midgestation fetal cardiomyocytes. Thus, midgestation maternal hyperthyroidism might lead to an underendowed fetal myocardium...
- The requirement of Ras and Rap1 for the activation of ERKs by cAMP, PACAP, and KCl in cerebellar granule cellsYutaro Obara
Vollum Institute, L474, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
J Neurochem 101:470-82. 2007..Furthermore, Rap1, but not Ras, activation by PKA appears to require the action of Src family kinases...
- Rap1-mediated activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinases by cyclic AMP is dependent on the mode of Rap1 activationZhiping Wang
The Vollum Institute, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239 3098, USA
Mol Cell Biol 26:2130-45. 2006..We propose a model that specific GEFs activate distinct pools of Rap1 that are differentially coupled to downstream effectors...
- PKA phosphorylation of Src mediates cAMP's inhibition of cell growth via Rap1John M Schmitt
Vollum Institute and Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR 97201, USA
Mol Cell 9:85-94. 2002..This study identifies an antiproliferative role for Src in the physiological regulation of cell growth by cAMP...
- PKA phosphorylation of Src mediates Rap1 activation in NGF and cAMP signaling in PC12 cellsYutaro Obara
The Vollum Institute, L474, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA
J Cell Sci 117:6085-94. 2004..PKA phosphorylation of Src may therefore be required for Rap1 activation in PC12 cells...
- Ectopic B-Raf expression enhances extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK) signaling in T cells and prevents antigen-presenting cell-induced anergyTara J Dillon
Vollum Institute, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
J Biol Chem 278:35940-9. 2003..However, studies using anti-TCR antibody-induced anergy showed that the ability of ERKs to reverse T cell anergy is dependent on the anergic model utilized...
- Galpha and Gbeta gamma require distinct Src-dependent pathways to activate Rap1 and RasJohn M Schmitt
Vollum Institute, and the Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, Oregon 97201, USA
J Biol Chem 277:43024-32. 2002..We propose that the beta(2)-adrenergic receptor activates Src via two independent mechanisms to mediate distinct signaling pathways, one through Galpha(s) to Rap1 and ERKs and the other through Gbetagamma to Ras and AKT...
- Ras is required for the cyclic AMP-dependent activation of Rap1 via Epac2Chang Liu
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Vollum Institute, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239 3098, USA
Mol Cell Biol 28:7109-25. 2008..Coincident detection of both cAMP and Ras signals is essential for Epac2 to activate Rap1 in a temporally and spatially controlled manner...
- Sustained activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase by nerve growth factor regulates c-fos protein stabilization and transactivation in PC12 cellsMichael J Pellegrino
Neuroscience Graduate Program, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, Oregon, USA
J Neurochem 99:1480-93. 2006..Because these ERK-dependent phosphorylations are required for proper c-fos function, and occur sequentially, we propose that c-fos is a sensor for ERK signaling duration in the neuronal-like cell line PC12...
- Extracellular signal-regulated kinase and phosphoinositol-3 kinase mediate IGF-1 induced proliferation of fetal sheep cardiomyocytesNathan C Sundgren
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 285:R1481-9. 2003....
- Examining the mechanism of Erk nuclear translocation using green fluorescent proteinAngela M Horgan
Vollum Institute for Advanced Biomedical Research, L474, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97201, USA
Exp Cell Res 285:208-20. 2003..However, PKA activity was also not necessary for the early translocation of Erk into the nucleus by NGF or Ras, but it was able to induce a small influx of Erk that could be measured with GFP-Erk2...
- The interaction of Epac1 and Ran promotes Rap1 activation at the nuclear envelopeChang Liu
Vollum Institute, Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Mol Cell Biol 30:3956-69. 2010..We propose that Ran and RanBP2 anchor Epac1 to the nuclear pore, permitting cAMP signals to activate Rap1 at the nuclear envelope...
- Thyroid hormone drives fetal cardiomyocyte maturationNatasha N Chattergoon
Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA
FASEB J 26:397-408. 2012..Thyroidectomized fetuses had reduced cell cycle activity and binucleation. These findings support the hypothesis that T(3) is a prime driver of prenatal cardiomyocyte maturation...
- Ras-independent activation of ERK signaling via the torso receptor tyrosine kinase is mediated by Rap1Snigdha Mishra
Vollum Institute, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97201, USA
Curr Biol 15:366-70. 2005..These studies provide the first direct genetic evidence of Rap1-mediated activation of the MAP kinase cascade in eukaryotic organisms...
- Directing NGF's actions: it's a RapPhilip J S Stork
Nat Cell Biol 7:338-9. 2005
- NEURONAL ACTIVITY AND INTRACELLULAR SIGNALINGPHILIP STORK; Fiscal Year: 2003..The applicant believes that the experiments outlined in this proposal may ultimately impact more general research on synaptic plasticity, long-term potentiation (LTP) and neuronal survival. ..
- The small G protein Rap 1 in T cell activation/anergyPHILIP STORK; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, we will test the hypothesis that CD28 co-stimulation achieves increased ERK activation, IL-2 production and proliferation by blocking Rap1 activation. ..
- HORMONAL REGULATION OF MAP KINASE VIA RAP1 AND B-RAFPhilip J S Stork; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will determine the biochemical basis for this specificity of Rap1 for B-Raf in Specific Aim 3. In this aim, we will also establish novel mouse models to test the hypothesis that B-Raf has irreplaceable functions in vivo. ..