Daniel M Hartung
Affiliation: Oregon Health and Science University
- Effects of a prior-authorization policy for celecoxib on medical service and prescription drug use in a managed care Medicaid populationDaniel M Hartung
Oregon State University College of Pharmacy, Portland, USA
Clin Ther 26:1518-32. 2004..Prior authorization (PA) is a poorly studied but commonly employed policy used by health care payers to manage the rising costs of pharmacy benefits...
- The cost of multiple sclerosis drugs in the US and the pharmaceutical industry: Too big to fail?Daniel M Hartung
From the College of Pharmacy D M H, S M A, Oregon State University Oregon Health and Science University and the Department of Neurology D N B, R H W, Oregon Health and Science University, Multiple Sclerosis Center of Excellence West, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Portland
Neurology 84:2185-92. 2015..To examine the pricing trajectories in the United States of disease-modifying therapies (DMT) for multiple sclerosis (MS) over the last 20 years and assess the influences on rising prices...
- Changes in long-acting β-agonist utilization after the FDA's 2010 drug safety communicationDaniel M Hartung
Oregon State University Oregon Health and Science University, College of Pharmacy, Portland, Oregon Electronic address
Clin Ther 37:114-123.e1. 2015..The objective of this study was to determine the impact of the FDA's 2010 safety advisory on LABA utilization...
- Extended-release naltrexone for alcohol and opioid dependence: a meta-analysis of healthcare utilization studiesDaniel M Hartung
Oregon State University Oregon Health and Science University College of Pharmacy, 3303 SW Bond Avenue, CH12C, Portland OR 97239 Electronic address
J Subst Abuse Treat 47:113-21. 2014..Opioid dependent XR-NTX patients had lower inpatient substance abuse-related utilization versus other agents and $8170 lower total cost versus methadone...
- A pilot study evaluating alternative approaches of academic detailing in rural family practice clinicsDaniel M Hartung
Oregon State University College of Pharmacy, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, 97239, USA
BMC Fam Pract 13:129. 2012..Our study evaluates different models of delivering academic detailing in a rural family medicine setting...
- Generic substitution of lamotrigine among medicaid patients with diverse indications: a cohort-crossover studyDaniel M Hartung
Oregon State University College of Pharmacy, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
CNS Drugs 26:707-16. 2012..Lamotrigine, the prototypical newer AED, is often used for psychiatric and neurological conditions other than epilepsy. The safety of generic substitution of lamotrigine in diverse populations of AED users is unclear...
- Effect of drug sample removal on prescribing in a family practice clinicDaniel M Hartung
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Oregon State University College of Pharmacy, Portland, Oregon, USA
Ann Fam Med 8:402-9. 2010..The objective of this study was to evaluate the effect of a policy prohibiting prescription drug samples and pharmaceutical industry interaction on prescribing patterns in a rural family practice clinic in central Oregon...
- Overview of clinical research designDaniel M Hartung
College of Pharmacy, Oregon State University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 66:398-408. 2009..Basic concepts and terminology of clinical research design are presented for new clinical investigators...
- Impact of a Medicaid copayment policy on prescription drug and health services utilization in a fee-for-service Medicaid populationDaniel M Hartung
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Oregon State University College of Pharmacy, Portland, Oregon 97239 4501, USA
Med Care 46:565-72. 2008..Research exploring the effects of copays on pharmacy and health care utilization in Medicaid patients is limited, especially among patients with chronic disease...
- Rates of adverse events of long-acting opioids in a state Medicaid programDaniel M Hartung
College of Pharmacy, Oregon State University, Oregon Health and Science University Campus, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Ann Pharmacother 41:921-8. 2007..Despite widespread use and emerging safety concerns, data on the comparative safety and effectiveness of long-acting opioid (LAO) analgesics are weak...
- Initial results of the use of prescription order change forms to achieve dose form optimization (consolidation and tablet splitting) of SSRI antidepressants in a state Medicaid programAnn M Hamer
Drug Use Research and Mangement Program, Oregon State University College of Pharmacy, Portland, OR 97201 4952, USA
J Manag Care Pharm 12:449-56. 2006..Dose form optimization can reduce the direct cost of therapy by up to 50% while continuing the same daily dose of the same drug molecule...
- Patterns of atypical antipsychotic subtherapeutic dosing among Oregon Medicaid patientsDaniel M Hartung
Oregon State University, Portland, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 69:1540-7. 2008....
- Risk of hospitalization for heart failure associated with thiazolidinedione therapy: a medicaid claims-based case-control studyDaniel M Hartung
College of Pharmacy, Oregon State University, Portland, Oregon, USA
Pharmacotherapy 25:1329-36. 2005..To determine, in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus, whether an association exists between thiazolidinedione therapy or other diabetes therapies and hospital admission for heart failure...
- An evaluation of Oregon's evidence-based Practitioner-Managed Prescription Drug PlanDaniel M Hartung
Drug Use Research and Management Program, College of Pharmacy, Oregon State University, Portland, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 25:1423-32. 2006..1 percent and 17.7 percent after implementation of the DAW and soft PA policies, respectively. Data from nonenforced PMPDP classes showed no change; this suggests the need for effective methods to encourage PMPDP compliance...
- Clinical implications of an accurate problem list on heart failure treatmentDaniel M Hartung
Oregon State University College of Pharmacy, Portland, OR, USA
J Gen Intern Med 20:143-7. 2005..However, little empirical evidence exists demonstrating improved patient outcomes as a result of an adequately structured problem list...
- Practices of US health insurance companies concerning MS therapies interfere with shared decision-making and harm patientsDennis N Bourdette
Department of Neurology DNB, RHW, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland Multiple Sclerosis Center of Excellence West DNB, RHW, VA Portland Health Care System, OR and The College of Pharmacy DMH, Oregon State University Oregon Health and Science University, Portland
Neurol Clin Pract 6:177-182. 2016..We present potential actions that neurologists can take to change how insurance companies manage MS DMTs...
- Breaking up is hard to do: lessons learned from a pharma-free practice transformationDavid Evans
Department of Family Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Am Board Fam Med 26:332-8. 2013..Little guidance for practicing physicians exists about transforming practices to become pharma-free. Consideration must be given to the impact on practice culture, staff views, and patient needs...
- Rural-Urban Differences in Chronic Disease and Drug Utilization in Older OregoniansLeah M Goeres
Department of Pharmacy Practice, College of Pharmacy, Oregon State University Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon
J Rural Health 32:269-79. 2016..To characterize disease burden and medication usage in rural and urban adults aged ≥85 years...
- Timing of pivotal clinical trial results reporting for newly approved medications varied by reporting sourceBethany Withycombe
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Oregon State University Oregon Health and Science University College of Pharmacy, 2730 SW Moody Avenue, CL5CP, Portland, OR 97201, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 77:78-83. 2016..The study aimed to characterize the public availability of pivotal clinical trial results for newly approved drugs...
- The safety and efficacy of vortioxetine for acute treatment of major depressive disorder: a systematic review and meta-analysisAmanda S Meeker
Department of Pharmacy Practice, College of Pharmacy, Oregon State University Oregon Health and Science University, 2730 SW Moody Ave, Mail code CL5CP, Portland, OR, 97239, USA
Syst Rev 4:21. 2015..We sought to evaluate all published and unpublished data available to determine the efficacy and harms of vortioxetine in adults with major depressive disorder...
- Risk factors associated with linezolid-nonsusceptible enterococcal infectionsJessina C McGregor
College of Pharmacy, Oregon State University Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Am J Infect Control 40:886-7. 2012..Previous hospitalization, admission to a medical service, comorbidity, and linezolid and sulfonamide therapy were identified as risk factors...