Affiliation: Oregon Health and Science University
- The role of dopamine and serotonin in regulating bone mass and strength: studies on dopamine and serotonin transporter null miceM Bliziotes
Oregon Health and Science University and Portland, VAMC Portland, OR 97207, USA
J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 2:291-5. 2002..These results demonstrate that osteoblastic cells express a functional serotonin system, with mechanisms for responding to and regulating uptake of 5-HT, and disruption of the 5-HTT gene may cause osteopenia...
- Bone histomorphometric and biomechanical abnormalities in mice homozygous for deletion of the dopamine transporter geneM Bliziotes
Portland VA Medical Center and Oregon Health Sciences University, 97201, USA
Bone 26:15-9. 2000..The ultimate bending load (femoral strength) for the DAT-/- mice was 30% lower than the wild-type mice (p = 0.004). Thus, deletion of the DAT gene results in deficiencies in skeletal structure and integrity...
- Reduced G-protein-coupled-receptor kinase 2 activity results in impairment of osteoblast functionM Bliziotes
Portland VA Medical Center, Portland, OR 97201, USA
Bone 27:367-73. 2000..Thus, GRK2 may regulate growth factor responsiveness in osteoblasts by modulating multiprotein complex formation following receptor tyrosine kinase activation...
- Neurotransmitter action in osteoblasts: expression of a functional system for serotonin receptor activation and reuptakeM M Bliziotes
Portland VA Medical Center, Portland, Oregon 97201, USA
Bone 29:477-86. 2001..5-HT potentiates the PTH-induced increase in AP-1 activity in UMR cells. These results demonstrate that osteoblastic cells express a functional serotonin system, with mechanisms for responding to and regulating uptake of 5-HT...
- Periosteal remodeling at the femoral neck in nonhuman primatesMichael Bliziotes
Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, USA
J Bone Miner Res 21:1060-7. 2006..Our studies are the first to systematically document periosteal turnover at the femoral neck...
- Serotonin transporter and receptor expression in osteocytic MLO-Y4 cellsM Bliziotes
Portland VA Medical Center, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Bone 39:1313-21. 2006..Thus, osteocytes, as well as osteoblasts, are capable of 5-HT synthesis, and express functional receptor and transporter components of the 5-HT signal transduction system...
- Update in serotonin and boneMichael Bliziotes
Department of Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University and Portland VA Medical Center, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:4124-32. 2010..Serotonin (5-HT) may be an important regulatory agent in bone, and agents that modify 5-HT signaling, such as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), are in widespread clinical use...
- Vitamin D insufficiency in internal medicine residentsE M Haney
Division of General Internal Medicine and Geriatrics, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon, USA
Calcif Tissue Int 76:11-6. 2005..Increased educational efforts to promote healthy dietary and lifestyle choices that allow attainment and maintenance of skeletal health are appropriate in this population...
- THE FUNCTION OF NEUROTRANSMITTERS IN BONE BIOLOGYMATTHEW BLIZIOTES; Fiscal Year: 2009..This research should contribute to new treatment and prevention regimens for osteoporosis and thus have a significant positive impact on the health care of the aging population. ..