John S Lyons
Affiliation: Northwestern University
- The U.S. child welfare system: a de facto public behavioral health care systemJohn S Lyons
Mental Health Services and Policy Program, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 43:971-3. 2004
- The complexity of communication in an environment with multiple disciplines and professionals: communimetrics and decision supportJohn S Lyons
Psychiatry and Community Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Weibolt 717, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Med Clin North Am 90:693-701. 2006..The use of communimetric tools within this information environment represents an important opportunity to bridge the quality chasm...
- Monitoring and managing outcomes in residential treatment: practice-based evidence in search of evidence-based practiceJohn S Lyons
Mental Health Services and Policy Program, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Abbott Hall, Suite 1205, 710 North Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 45:247-51. 2006
- Racial differences in the mental health needs and service utilization of youth in the juvenile justice systemPurva Rawal
Division of Psychology, Northwestern University Feinberg Medical School, 339 E Chicago Ave, Suite 717, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
J Behav Health Serv Res 31:242-54. 2004....
- Modeling crisis decision-making for children in state custodyXiaoxing Z He
Institute for Health Services Research and Policy Studies, Northwestern University, 710 N Lake Shore Drive, Abbott 1206, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 26:378-83. 2004..Interestingly, the capacity of the caregiver and the children's involvement in multiple systems also predict children's hospital admissions...
- Incidence of disability among preretirement adults: the impact of depressionDorothy D Dunlop
Institute for Healthcare Studies and the Multidisciplinary Clinical Research Center in Rheumatology, Northwestern University, 339 East Chicago, 7th Floor, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Am J Public Health 95:2003-8. 2005..We evaluated the effect of depression on risk, on the basis of standardized assessment, for developing activities of daily living (ADL) disability...
- Evaluating psychiatric hospital admission decisions for children in foster care: an optimal classification tree analysisJessica A Snowden
Department of Psychology, Loyola University Chicago, 6525 N Sheridan, Chicago, IL 60626, USA
J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol 36:8-18. 2007..Further analyses indicated that the model developed in Year 1 reliably and consistently predicted admission decisions (with 64%-68% overall accuracy) across the next 3 years. Policy, research, and clinical implications are discussed...
- Expanded mental health benefits and outpatient depression treatment intensityAnthony T Lo Sasso
Division of Health Policy and Administration, School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Med Care 44:366-72. 2006..Despite this, recent policy efforts have focused on improving access to behavioral health treatment...
- The sensitivity of substance abuse treatment intensity to co-payment levelsAnthony T Lo Sasso
Institute for Policy Research, Northwestern University, 2040 Sheridan Rd, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
J Behav Health Serv Res 31:50-65. 2004..017. Given the benefits of maintaining persons with substance use disorders in treatment, employers may have an incentive to take steps to minimize the barriers to treatment...
- Emergency Department Sickle Cell Assessment of Needs and Strengths (ED-SCANS), a focus group and decision support tool development projectPaula Tanabe
Department of Emergency Medicine and the Institute for Health care Studies, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
Acad Emerg Med 17:848-58. 2010..We aimed to identify data and process elements important in making decisions regarding evaluation and management of adult patients in the ED with painful episodes of SCD...
- Factors related to psychiatric hospital readmission among children and adolescents in state custodyJill B Romansky
Mental Health Services and Policy Program, Division of Psychology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Psychiatr Serv 54:356-62. 2003..This study examined factors related to psychiatric hospital readmission among children and adolescents who were wards of the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services...
- Racial/ethnic differences in rates of depression among preretirement adultsDorothy D Dunlop
Institute for Health Services Research and Policy Studies, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Am J Public Health 93:1945-52. 2003..We estimated racial/ethnic differences in rates of major depression and investigated possible mediators...
- Use of measurement audit in outcomes managementJohn S Lyons
Mental Health Services and Policy Program, Northwestern University Medical School, 339 East Chicago Avenue, Room 717, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Behav Health Serv Res 29:75-80. 2002..Findings suggest generally good reliability, 0.72 overall, with some variation by provider and type of information...
- Regional variation and clinical indicators of antipsychotic use in residential treatment: a four-state comparisonPurva H Rawal
Institute for Health Services Research and Policy Studies, Northwestern University Feinberg Medical School, 339 E Chicago Ave, Suite 717, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
J Behav Health Serv Res 31:178-88. 2004..Antipsychotic prescription is inconsistent across states. Off-label prescription is frequent and likelihood of use increases with behavior problems...
- Clinical and forensic outcomes from the Illinois mental health juvenile justice initiativeJohn S Lyons
Mental Health Services and Policy Program, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Psychiatr Serv 54:1629-34. 2003..This study assessed whether such linkage is possible and whether it improves clinical and forensic outcomes...
- Psychotropic medications prescribing patterns for children and adolescents in New York's public mental health systemJohn S Lyons
Mental Health Services and Policy Program, Northwestern University, USA
Community Ment Health J 40:101-18. 2004..Breakthroughs in the development of effective medications for a number of psychiatric disorders have led to increased use of these compounds in the treatment of children...
- Arthritis and heart disease as risk factors for major depression: the role of functional limitationDorothy D Dunlop
Institute for Health Services Research and Policy Studies, The Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Med Care 42:502-11. 2004....
- Competency to stand trial in preadjudicated and petitioned juvenile defendantsDana Royce Baerger
Mental Health Services and Policy Program, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
J Am Acad Psychiatry Law 31:314-20. 2003..These results are consistent with those of prior research in this area. Implications for treatment planning and system reform are discussed...
- The effects of copayments on substance abuse treatment expenditures and treatment reoccurrenceAnthony T Lo Sasso
Institute for Health Services Research and Policy Studies, Northwestern University, 629 Noyes Street, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Psychiatr Serv 53:1605-11. 2002..The authors estimated the relationship between copayment levels for substance abuse treatment and both the insurers' expenditures for treatment and the reoccurrence of treatment...
- Determinants of indicated versus actual level of care in psychiatric emergency servicesCornelis L Mulder
Mental Health Group Europoort, Barendrecht, The Netherlands
Psychiatr Serv 56:452-7. 2005..This study was undertaken to improve understanding of the admission decision process by distinguishing between the clinically indicated level of care and actual level-of-care decisions in emergency psychiatry...
- Mental health service utilization in the United States. The role of personality factorsRenee D Goodwin
Department of Epidemiology, Columbia University and the New York State Psychiatric Institute, USA
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 37:561-6. 2002..The aim of this study was to determine the relationship between personality factors and the use of mental health services (past 12 months) among adults in the community...
- Operationalizing integrated care on a clinical level: the INTERMED projectFriedrich C Stiefel
Service de Psychiatrie de Liaison, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Rue du Bugnon 44, CH 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Med Clin North Am 90:713-58. 2006..This article presents various aspects of the INTERMED, such as its relevance, description, scoring, the related patient interview and treatment planning, scientific evaluation, implementation, and support for the method...
- Panic attacks in schizophreniaRenee Goodwin
Department of Epidemiology, Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, 1051 Riverside Drive, Unit 43, New York, NY 10032, USA
Schizophr Res 58:213-20. 2002..To determine the association between panic attacks and comorbid mental disorders, psychiatric symptomotology, service utilization, and suicidality among individuals with schizophrenia in the community...
- The hospital as predictor of children's and adolescents' length of stayScott C Leon
Department of Psychology, Loyola University Chicago, IL 60626, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 45:322-8. 2006..To predict psychiatric hospital length of stay (LOS) for a sample of Illinois Department of Children and Family Services wards across 4 fiscal years...
- Adolescent attitudes toward serious mental illnessAmy C Watson
Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, Evanston, Illinois, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 193:769-72. 2005....