Robert C Smith
Affiliation: New York University
- Effects of Cigarette Smoking on Psychopathology Scores in Patients With Schizophrenia: An Experimental StudyRobert C Smith
Department of Psychiatry, New York University Medical School, Hewlett, New York Manhattan Psychiatric Center, New York, New York
Subst Abus 22:175-186. 2001..These results suggest that acute smoking of cigarettes reduces negative symptoms in patients with schizophrenia in this experimental paradigm. Future work needs to identify the mechanism responsible for this behavioral effect...
- Olanzapine and risperidone effects on appetite and ghrelin in chronic schizophrenic patientsRobert C Smith
Nathan Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research, Orangeburg, NY 10962, USA
Psychiatry Res 199:159-63. 2012..However, it is possible that different relationships may exist between appetite and weight changes induced by the medications in drug naive patients newly started on olanzapine or risperidone...
- Allelic variation in ApoC3, ApoA5 and LPL genes and first and second generation antipsychotic effects on serum lipids in patients with schizophreniaR C Smith
Department of Psychiatry, New York University Medical School and Manhattan Psychiatric Center, New York, NY 11557 0316, USA
Pharmacogenomics J 8:228-36. 2008..These results provide a potential initial step toward a pharmacogenetic approach to selection of antipsychotic treatment which may help minimize the side effect of increases in serum lipids...
- Effects of olanzapine and risperidone on glucose metabolism and insulin sensitivity in chronic schizophrenic patients with long-term antipsychotic treatment: a randomized 5-month studyRobert C Smith
Department of Psychiatry, NYU Medical School, Hewlett, NY 11557, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 70:1501-13. 2009..Randomized prospective studies of metabolic effects during treatment with these drugs may provide results that are more informative...
- Effects of nicotine nasal spray on cognitive function in schizophreniaRobert C Smith
Department of Psychiatry, New York University Medical School, Hewlett, NY, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 31:637-43. 2006..Our results suggest that nicotine may modestly enhance attention and spatial working memory in schizophrenic patients who are cigarette smokers and have been abstinent overnight...
- Clozapine, risperidone, olanzapine, and conventional antipsychotic drug effects on glucose, lipids, and leptin in schizophrenic patientsRobert C Smith
Department of Psychiatry, New York University Medical School, Hewlett, NY 11557, USA
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 8:183-94. 2005....
- Effects of olanzapine and risperidone on lipid metabolism in chronic schizophrenic patients with long-term antipsychotic treatment: a randomized five month studyRobert C Smith
Department of Psychiatry, New York University Medical School, Hewlett, NY 11557, USA
Schizophr Res 120:204-9. 2010..We present results of a randomized prospective study of lipid metabolism and metabolic syndrome in chronic schizophrenic patients using both fasting and post-prandial lipid measures...
- Cognitive and antismoking effects of varenicline in patients with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorderRobert C Smith
Department of Psychiatry, New York University Medical School, NY 11557 0316, United States
Schizophr Res 110:149-55. 2009..We present the first prospective quantitative data on the effects of varenicline on cognitive function, cigarette smoking, and psychopathology in a small sample of schizophrenic patients...
- Effects of cigarette smoking and nicotine nasal spray on psychiatric symptoms and cognition in schizophreniaRobert C Smith
Department of Psychiatry, New York University Medical School, New York, NY 11557 0316, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 27:479-97. 2002..Nicotine nasal spray may modestly improve some selected aspects of cognitive function in schizophrenia...
- The effects of olanzapine on neurocognitive functioning in medication-refractory schizophreniaR C Smith
Department of Psychiatry, New York University Medical School, Hewlett, NY 11557 0316, USA
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 4:239-50. 2001..Neurocognitive changes were not correlated with changes in psychopathology as assessed by PANSS or SANS scores...
- Ziprasidone's effect on metabolic markers in patients with diabetes and chronic schizophreniaJean Pierre Lindenmayer
Department of Psychiatry, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Clin Schizophr Relat Psychoses 5:185-92. 2012....
- Effects of pioglitazone on metabolic abnormalities, psychopathology, and cognitive function in schizophrenic patients treated with antipsychotic medication: a randomized double-blind studyRobert C Smith
Nathan Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research, NY, United States Department of Psychiatry NYU Medical School, New York, United States
Schizophr Res 143:18-24. 2013..Some studies also suggest possible pro-cognitive and antidepressant effects of pioglitazone. We studied the effects of pioglitazone on potential metabolic, symptomatic and cognitive benefits in schizophrenic patients treated with AP...
- Varenicline Effects on Smoking, Cognition, and Psychiatric Symptoms in Schizophrenia: A Double-Blind Randomized TrialRobert C Smith
Nathan S Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research, Orangeburg, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 11:e0143490. 2016..Our study supports the use of varenicline as a safe drug for smoking reduction in schizophrenia but not as a cognitive enhancer...
- Hyperglycemia associated with the use of atypical antipsychoticsJ P Lindenmayer
New York University School of Medicine, New York, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 62:30-8. 2001..However, it is difficult to statistically assess the true incidence of diabetes within each type of antipsychotic medication group with the exclusive dependence on available case studies and without proper epidemiologic research...
- Effects of transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) on cognition, symptoms, and smoking in schizophrenia: A randomized controlled studyRobert C Smith
Nathan S Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research, Orangeburg, New York, United states Department of Psychiatry NYU Langone Medical Center, United States Electronic address
Schizophr Res 168:260-6. 2015..The positive effects of tDCS on cognitive performance suggest a potential efficacious treatment for cognitive deficits in partially recovered chronic schizophrenia outpatients that should be further investigated. ..
- Nonresponding schizophrenia: differentiation by neurological soft signs and neuropsychological testsR C Smith
New York University Medical School, Manhattan Psychiatric Center, NY, USA
Schizophr Bull 25:813-25. 1999..Scores differentiating the two groups involved deficits influenced by both frontal and nonfrontal functioning. A predominance of negative symptoms in the current clinical picture was highly correlated with high NSS scores...
- Stability of neurological soft signs in chronically hospitalized schizophrenic patientsR C Smith
Department of Psychiatry, New York University Medical School, USA
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 11:91-6. 1999..The findings suggest total NSS scores may have some characteristics of a trait-like feature in chronically hospitalized patients with schizophrenia...
- An upregulation of DNA-methyltransferase 1 and 3a expressed in telencephalic GABAergic neurons of schizophrenia patients is also detected in peripheral blood lymphocytesA Zhubi
Psychiatric Institute, Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, IL, USA
Schizophr Res 111:115-22. 2009..Hence, PBL studies may become useful to investigate a diagnostic epigenetic marker of SZ morbidity...
- Exploration of DSM-IV criteria in primary care patients with medically unexplained symptomsRobert C Smith
Department of Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, USA
Psychosom Med 67:123-9. 2005..Our objective was to evaluate this use by determining the prevalence of DSM-IV somatoform and nonsomatoform disorders in patients with MUS proven by a gold standard chart review...
- A method for rating charts to identify and classify patients with medically unexplained symptomsRobert C Smith
Department of Medicine, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, East Lansing, Michigan, USA
Psychother Psychosom 73:36-42. 2004..As part of conducting a randomized control trial (RCT) to treat chronically high utilizing patients with medically unexplained symptoms (MUS), we developed the chart rating method reported here to identify and classify MUS subjects...