Affiliation: New York Academy of Medicine
- Does bleach disinfection of syringes protect against hepatitis C infection among young adult injection drug users?Farzana Kapadia
Center for Urban Epidemiologic Studies, New York Academy of Medicine, NY 10029, USA
Epidemiology 13:738-41. 2002..Hepatitis C virus (HCV) has emerged as a major public health problem among injection drug users. In this analysis we examine whether disinfection of syringes with bleach has a potentially protective effect on anti-HCV seroconversion...
- The relationship between non-injection drug use behaviors on progression to AIDS and death in a cohort of HIV seropositive women in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy useFarzana Kapadia
Center for Urban Epidemiologic Studies, New York Academy of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Addiction 100:990-1002. 2005..To evaluate the effects of longitudinal patterns and types of non-injection drug use (NIDU) on HIV progression in the highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) era...
- The role of substance abuse in HIV disease progression: reconciling differences from laboratory and epidemiologic investigationsFarzana Kapadia
Center for Urban Epidemiologic Studies, New York Academy of Medicine, New York 10029, USA
Clin Infect Dis 41:1027-34. 2005..In addition, we provide a careful evaluation of methodological strengths and limitations inherent to both study designs in order to provide a more nuanced understanding of how these findings may complement one another...
- Design and feasibility of a randomized behavioral intervention to reduce distributive injection risk and improve health-care access among hepatitis C virus positive injection drug users: the Study to Reduce Intravenous Exposures (STRIVE)Farzana Kapadia
Guttmacher Institute, New York, NY 10005, USA
J Urban Health 84:99-115. 2007....
- Sexual health screening among racially/ethnically diverse young gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with menDaniel E Siconolfi
Center for Health, Identity, Behavior and Prevention Studies CHIBPS, Steinhardt School of Culture, Education and Human Development, New York University, New York, NY, USA
J Adolesc Health 52:620-6. 2013..We examined sexual health screening among a diverse sample of adolescent YMSM living in New York City...
- Impact of drug abuse treatment modalities on adherence to ART/HAART among a cohort of HIV seropositive womenFarzana Kapadia
Center for Urban Epidemiologic Studies, New York Academy of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 34:161-70. 2008..Concerted efforts to enroll individuals with drug use histories in treatment programs are warranted to improve HIV disease outcomes...
- Housing status and associated differences in HIV risk behaviors among young injection drug users (IDUs)Micaela H Coady
Center for Urban Epidemiologic Studies, New York Academy of Medicine, 1216 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10029, USA
AIDS Behav 11:854-63. 2007..HIV risk varies by housing status, with homeless IDUs at highest risk. Programs for IDUs should utilize a more specific definition of residential status to target IDUs needing intervention...
- Perceived peer safer sex norms and sexual risk behaviors among substance-using Latino adolescentsFarzana Kapadia
Department of Nutrition, Food Studies and Publich Health, New York University, New York, NY 10012, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 24:27-40. 2012..These findings suggest that further development of peer-based interventions for Latino youth is warranted...
- Eligibility for treatment of hepatitis C virus infection among young injection drug users in 3 US citiesHolly Hagan
National Development and Research Institutes, Center for Drug Use and HIV Research, New York, NY, 10010, USA
Clin Infect Dis 42:669-72. 2006..g., problem drinking, moderate-to-severe depression, and recent drug injection). Restrictive eligibility criteria may deny treatment to a large proportion of patients who could benefit from it...
- Modeling substance use in emerging adult gay, bisexual, and other YMSM across time: the P18 cohort studyPerry N Halkitis
Center for Health, Identity, Behavior and Prevention Studies, New York University, 726 Broadway Suite 525, New York, NY 10003, United States Global Institute of Public Heath, New York University, New York, NY 10003, United States Department of Population Health, Langone School of Medicine, New York University, New York, NY 10003, United States Electronic address
Drug Alcohol Depend 145:209-16. 2014..To examine patterns of substance use over time in a new generation of emerging adult gay, bisexual, and other young men who have sex with men (YMSM)...
- Associations between perceived partner support and relationship dynamics with timing of pregnancy terminationFarzana Kapadia
Department of Nutrition, Food Studies and Public Health, New York University, New York, New York 10012, USA
Womens Health Issues 21:S8-13. 2011..The present study sought to address this issue by examining women's perceptions of social support and relationship-level dynamics for their association with timing of pregnancy termination...
- Examination of spatial polygamy among young gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men in New York City: the P18 cohort studyDustin T Duncan
Department of Population Health, School of Medicine, New York University, New York, NY 10016, USA
Int J Environ Res Public Health 11:8962-83. 2014..g., HIV prevention interventions). ..
- Lifting boats without closing gaps: child health outcomes in distressed US cities from 1992-2002Diana Silver
Department of Nutrition, Food Studies and Public Health, Steinhardt School of Culture, Education and Human Development, New York University, New York, NY 10012, USA
Am J Public Health 101:278-84. 2011..We compared cause-specific mortality and birth rates for children and youths aged younger than 18 years in 100 US cities from 1992 through 2002...
- Screening for depressive symptoms among HCV-infected injection drug users: examination of the utility of the CES-D and the Beck Depression InventoryElizabeth T Golub
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Urban Health 81:278-90. 2004..Results indicated that both scales should be used in tandem to have the most sensitive detection of depressive symptoms, thereby maximizing the potential for HCV treatment success...
- Self-reported hepatitis C virus antibody status and risk behavior in young injectorsHolly Hagan
Center for Drug Use and HIV Research, National Development and Research Institutes, 8th Fl, 71 West 23rd St, NY, NY 10010, USA
Public Health Rep 121:710-9. 2006....
- Prevalence and correlates of indirect sharing practices among young adult injection drug users in five U.S. citiesHanne Thiede
HIV AIDS Epidemiology Program, Public Health Seattle and King County, 400 Yesler Way, 3rd Floor, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 91:S39-47. 2007....
- A randomized intervention trial to reduce the lending of used injection equipment among injection drug users infected with hepatitis CMary H Latka
Division of International Health and Cross Cultural Medicine, University of California School of Medicine, 9500 Gilman Dr, Mailstop 0622, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Am J Public Health 98:853-61. 2008..g., syringe lending, unsafe drug preparation) among injection drug users with hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection...
- Illicit drug use, depression and their association with highly active antiretroviral therapy in HIV-positive womenJudith A Cook
Center on Mental Health Services Research and Policy, Department of Psychiatry M C 912, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1601 W Taylor Street M C 912, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 89:74-81. 2007..We examined the interaction of illicit drug use and depressive symptoms, and how they affect the subsequent likelihood of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) use among women with HIV/AIDS...
- A peer-education intervention to reduce injection risk behaviors for HIV and hepatitis C virus infection in young injection drug usersRichard S Garfein
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
AIDS 21:1923-32. 2007..To evaluate whether a behavioral intervention, which taught peer education skills, could reduce injection and sexual risk behaviors associated with primary HIV and hepatitis C virus infection (HCV) among young injection drug users (IDU)...
- Methods to recruit and retain a cohort of young-adult injection drug users for the Third Collaborative Injection Drug Users Study/Drug Users Intervention Trial (CIDUS III/DUIT)Richard S Garfein
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, MS E 45, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 91:S4-17. 2007..S. policy to only fund proven-effective HIV prevention interventions, insights into conducting intervention trials among young IDUs are provided here by describing methods and participants' characteristics in the CIDUS III/DUIT study...
- Classroom-based surveys of adolescent risk-taking behaviors: reducing the bias of absenteeismSally Guttmacher
Department of Health Studies, New York University School of Education, New York City, 10003, USA
Am J Public Health 92:235-7. 2002..This investigation examined the effectiveness of intensive efforts to include frequently absent students in order to reduce bias in classroom-based studies...