Affiliation: New Jersey
- Does substitution of T4 with T3 plus T4 for T4 replacement improve depressive symptoms in patients with hypothyroidism?Russell T Joffe
Department of Psychiatry, UMDNJ, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1032:287-8. 2004..Forty individuals were included who had depressive symptoms on stable doses of levothyroxine. Combined T4 plus T3 did not have a significantly different effect on mood and well-being scores than did T4 alone...
- Psychiatric aspects of endocrine disorders in womenRussell T Joffe
Department of Psychiatry, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, 185 South Orange Avenue, MSB C 671, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Psychiatr Clin North Am 26:683-91. 2003..Moreover, patients who appear to present with primary psychiatric syndromes should be carefully evaluated by physical examination and biochemical screening when appropriate to exclude the presence of an underlying endocrine disorder...
- One-year outcome with antidepressant--treatment of bipolar depressionR T Joffe
Department of Psychiatry, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ 07101, USA
Acta Psychiatr Scand 112:105-9. 2005..To examine the risk of relapse into mania or depression with varying duration of antidepressant treatment in a cohort of 59 patients with bipolar disorder...
- Lithium and triiodothyronine augmentation of antidepressantsRussell T Joffe
Department of Psychiatry, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey, USA
Can J Psychiatry 51:791-3. 2006..To evaluate the relative benefits of the combination of lithium and triiodothyronine (T3) in augmentation of antidepressants, compared with either lithium or T3 alone...
- A prospective, longitudinal study of percentage of time spent ill in patients with bipolar I or bipolar II disordersRussell T Joffe
Department of Psychiatry, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Bipolar Disord 6:62-6. 2004..This study examined time spent in minor and subsyndromal mood states as well as with mania and depression in a cohort of well characterized bipolar I and II patients who were followed prospectively for an average of three years...
- Treatment of clinical hypothyroidism with thyroxine and triiodothyronine: a literature review and metaanalysisRussell T Joffe
Department of Psychiatry, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ, USA, and Sunnybrook Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Psychosomatics 48:379-84. 2007..Their analysis reveals no significant difference in treatment effect on psychiatric symptoms in the nine controlled studies to date...
- Induction of mania and cycle acceleration in bipolar disorder: effect of different classes of antidepressantR T Joffe
Regional Mood Disorders Program, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neuroscience, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Acta Psychiatr Scand 105:427-30. 2002..There is, however, the suggestion that certain classes of antidepressants may be less likely than others to cause these unwanted effects...
- Anterior cingulate volumes in never-treated patients with major depressive disorderKaan Yucel
Mood Disorders Program, St Joseph s Healthcare Hamilton and Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Neurosciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Neuropsychopharmacology 33:3157-63. 2008..These findings confirm the presence of ACC volume reductions in untreated patients with MDD and suggest that illness burden and short-term medication exposure mediate this change...
- Posterior hippocampal volumes are associated with remission rates in patients with major depressive disorderGlenda M MacQueen
Mood Disorders Program, St Joseph s Healthcare Hamilton, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Neurosciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Biol Psychiatry 64:880-3. 2008..The hippocampus (HC) is smaller in patients with recurrent major depressive disorder (MDD), but few longitudinal studies have examined whether volume is associated with clinically meaningful outcomes such as response to treatment...
- Should thyroid replacement therapy be considered for patients with treatment-refractory depression?Russell T Joffe
New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey, USA
J Psychiatry Neurosci 27:80. 2002
- Combined treatments for major depressionRussell T Joffe
New Jersey Medical School, Department of Psychiatry, Maplewood, NJ 07040, USA
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 16:1379-89. 2007..This review focuses on the data available to support these various augmentation and combination treatments...
- Subsyndromal symptoms assessed in longitudinal, prospective follow-up of a cohort of patients with bipolar disorderGlenda M MacQueen
Mood Disorders Program, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Bipolar Disord 5:349-55. 2003..This study examined factors associated with persistent subsyndromal symptoms in a well characterized group of BD patients who were prospectively followed for an average of 3 years...
- Increased subgenual prefrontal cortex size in remitted patients with major depressive disorderKaan Yucel
Mood Disorders Program, St Joseph s Healthcare Hamilton, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Psychiatry Res 173:71-6. 2009..Our findings demonstrate SGPFC volume increases in association with long-term antidepressant therapy and suggest that this result may be linked to positive clinical response...
- Longitudinal outcome in patients with bipolar disorder assessed by life-charting is influenced by DSM-IV personality disorder symptomsPeter J Bieling
Mood Disorders Program, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurosciences, McMaster University and St Joseph s Healthcare, Hamilton, Ontorio, Canada
Bipolar Disord 5:14-21. 2003..The primary purpose of this paper was to examine the impact of DSM-IV personality disorder symptoms on long-term clinical outcome in BD...
- Brain derived neurotrophic factor Val66Met polymorphism, the five factor model of personality and hippocampal volume: Implications for depressive illnessRussell T Joffe
Department of Psychiatry, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, USA
Hum Brain Mapp 30:1246-56. 2009..These findings suggest that even in otherwise healthy subjects, trait depression may contribute to the susceptibility of Met carriers to hippocampal grey matter loss...
- Previous mood state predicts response and switch rates in patients with bipolar depressionGlenda M MacQueen
Mood Disorders Program, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ont, Canada
Acta Psychiatr Scand 105:414-8. 2002..The treatment of bipolar depression is a significant clinical problem that remains understudied. The role for antidepressant (AD) agents vs. mood stabilizers has been particularly problematic to ascertain...
- Course of illness, hippocampal function, and hippocampal volume in major depressionGlenda M MacQueen
Mood Disorders Program, Department of Radiology, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8N 3Z5
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:1387-92. 2003..Reductions in hippocampal volume may not antedate illness onset, but volume may decrease at the greatest rate in the early years after illness onset...
- Successful computer-assisted cognitive remediation therapy in patients with unipolar depression: a proof of principle studySafa Elgamal
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Psychol Med 37:1229-38. 2007....
- Depressive symptoms and alcohol consumption among nonalcoholic depression patients treated with desipramineBenjamin I Goldstein
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Ontario
Can J Psychiatry 49:859-62. 2004..Similarly, the effect of antidepressant treatment on alcohol consumption in this group is not yet understood. This study focuses on changes in depressive symptoms and alcohol consumption in response to treatment with desipramine...
- Treating mood disordersRussell T Joffe
J Psychiatry Neurosci 28:9-10. 2003
- Depression and multiple sclerosis: a potential way to understand the biology of major depressive illnessRussell T Joffe
J Psychiatry Neurosci 30:9-10. 2005
- Is the thyroid still important in major depression?Russell T Joffe
J Psychiatry Neurosci 31:367-8. 2006
- Does lithium save lives?Russell T Joffe
J Psychiatry Neurosci 29:9-10. 2004
- Increasing sophistication of the pharmacotherapy of mood disordersRussell T Joffe
J Psychiatry Neurosci 27:89. 2002
- EXTRAMURAL RESEARCH FACILITIES IMPROVEMENTRussell Joffe; Fiscal Year: 2004..No funds are sought for basic science research laboratories or any clinical areas in the Cancer Center. ..
- REGIONAL BIOCONTAINMENT LABORATORY (RBL) NEWARK CENTERRussell Joffe; Fiscal Year: 2005..When the RBL is operational, it will create a critical mass of biodefense scientists in Newark and serve as a specialized laboratory for emerging regional and national biodefense needs. ..