Momtaz O Wasfy
Affiliation: Naval Medical Center
- Postwar re-restablishment and activation of laboratory capacity for disease surveillance in southern Iraq, 2003Momtaz O Wasfy
WHO, Regional Office for the Eastern Mediterranean EMRO, Cairo, Egypt
Lancet Infect Dis 5:271-3. 2005
- Trends of multiple-drug resistance among Salmonella serotype Typhi isolates during a 14-year period in EgyptMomtaz O Wasfy
United States Naval Medical Research Unit Number 3, FPO AE 09835 0007, USA
Clin Infect Dis 35:1265-8. 2002..The observed resurgence of chloramphenicol susceptibility (P=.002) may suggest reuse of this drug for the treatment of typhoid fever in Egypt...
- Antimicrobial susceptibility and serotype distribution of Streptococcus pneumoniae causing meningitis in Egypt, 1998-2003Momtaz O Wasfy
U S Naval Medical Research Unit No 3, Cairo, Egypt
J Antimicrob Chemother 55:958-64. 2005....
- Rapid enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the diagnosis of human brucellosis in surveillance and clinical settings in EgyptMoustafa A Fadeel
United States Naval Medical Research Unit 3, PSC 452, Box 5000 Attn Code 304A, FPO AE 09835 0007, USA
Saudi Med J 27:975-81. 2006..To optimize and standardize an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) for rapid diagnosis of human brucellosis in clinical cases identified during a surveillance study for acute febrile illness (AFI)...
- Brucellosis as a cause of acute febrile illness in EgyptGregory J Jennings
US Naval Medical Research Unit 3 NAMRU 3, Cairo, Egypt
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 101:707-13. 2007..The high incidence of brucellosis in Fayoum highlights its public health importance, and the need to implement prevention strategies in humans and animals...
- Cross-species surveillance of Leptospira in domestic and peri-domestic animals in Mahalla City, Gharbeya Governorate, EgyptStephen A Felt
Laboratory Unit, United States Naval Medical Research Unit 3, Imtidad Ramses Street, Abbassia, Cairo, Egypt
Am J Trop Med Hyg 84:420-5. 2011..Data indicate that several pathogenic serovars are circulating in the animals, which may pose exposure risks and account for high rates of acute febrile illness...
- Characterization of Neisseria meningitidis isolates from Egypt using multilocus sequence typingJohn D Klena
US Naval Medical Research Unit No 3, Cairo, Egypt
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 106:309-14. 2012..Of 19 sequence types detected, five were unique to Africa and 10 were not observed previously in the MLST database. The information obtained illustrates the changing dynamics of meningitis after vaccine introduction in Egypt...
- Antimicrobial resistance in pathogens causing nosocomial bloodstream infections in university hospitals in EgyptTamer Saied
Global Disease Detection and Response Program, US Naval Medical Research Unit No 3, Cairo, Egypt
Am J Infect Control 39:e61-5. 2011..This study was conducted to identify bacterial pathogens isolated from nosocomial BSIs and determine their AMR patterns...
- Evaluation of dipstick serologic tests for diagnosis of brucellosis and typhoid Fever in egyptTharwat F Ismail
U S Medical Research Unit No 3, Cairo, Egypt
J Clin Microbiol 40:3509-11. 2002..Both dipsticks were simple and accurate rapid diagnostic assays, and they can be useful adjuncts for the diagnosis of typhoid fever and brucellosis...
- A simple technique for long-term preservation of leptospiresAhmed Samir
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
J Basic Microbiol 53:299-301. 2013..The results suggest a very simple and useful technique for long-term preservation of such Leptospira...
- Genetic characterization of antimicrobial resistance of Shigella flexneri 1c isolates from patients in Egypt and PakistanSalwa F Ahmed
Research Science Directorate, United States Naval Medical Research Unit No 3, Cairo, Egypt
Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 12:9. 2013..Shigella flexneri serotype 1c emerged as a critical isolate from children in Egypt and Pakistan. The pattern of antimicrobial susceptibility (AMS) and resistance genes of this serotype have yet to be characterized...
- Phenotypic diversity of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC) isolated from cases of travelers' diarrhea in KenyaHind I Shaheen
Naval Medical Research Unit No 3, Cairo, Egypt
Int J Infect Dis 7:35-8. 2003....
- Retrospective serosurvey of leptospirosis among patients with acute febrile illness and hepatitis in EgyptTharwat F Ismail
US Naval Medical Research Unit 3, Cairo, Egypt
Am J Trop Med Hyg 75:1085-9. 2006..In addition, laboratory capacity should be developed at fever hospitals to diagnose leptospirosis...
- Estimating the incidence of typhoid fever and other febrile illnesses in developing countriesJohn A Crump
Foodborne and Diarrheal Diseases Branch, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Mailstop A38, 1600 Clifton Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 9:539-44. 2003..This surveillance tool could have wide applications for surveillance for febrile illness in developing countries...
- Concurrent infections in acute febrile illness patients in EgyptTina M Parker
United States Naval Medical Unit No 3, FPO AE 09835, Cairo, Egypt 09835
Am J Trop Med Hyg 77:390-2. 2007..Most coinfected patients lived or worked in rural agricultural areas. The high coinfection rates suggest that defining the etiologies of AFI is imperative in guiding proper disease treatment, prevention, and control strategies in Egypt...