Joshua D Caldwell
Affiliation: Naval Medical Center
- Plasmonic nanopillar arrays for large-area, high-enhancement surface-enhanced Raman scattering sensorsJoshua D Caldwell
U S Naval Research Laboratory, 4555 Overlook Avenue, S W, Washington, D C 20375, United States
ACS Nano 5:4046-55. 2011....
- Large-area plasmonic hot-spot arrays: sub-2 nm interparticle separations with plasma-enhanced atomic layer deposition of Ag on periodic arrays of Si nanopillarsJoshua D Caldwell
US Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC 20375 USA
Opt Express 19:26056-64. 2011..These plasmonic 'hot-spots' arrays exhibited over an order of magnitude increase in the SERS response in comparison to similar arrays with larger interpillar separations...
- Technique for the dry transfer of epitaxial graphene onto arbitrary substratesJoshua D Caldwell
U S Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC 20375, USA
ACS Nano 4:1108-14. 2010....
- Low-loss, extreme subdiffraction photon confinement via silicon carbide localized surface phonon polariton resonatorsJoshua D Caldwell
US Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC, United States
Nano Lett 13:3690-7. 2013..Under certain conditions, the modes are Raman-active, enabling their study in the visible spectral range. These observations promise to reinvigorate research in SPhP phenomena and their use for nanophotonic applications...
- Aspect-ratio driven evolution of high-order resonant modes and near-field distributions in localized surface phonon polariton nanostructuresChase T Ellis
U S Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC, USA
Sci Rep 6:32959. 2016..Furthermore, through the careful choice of polar dielectric material, these results can also serve as the guiding principles for the generalized design of optical devices that operate from the mid- to far-infrared. ..
- Imaging of Anomalous Internal Reflections of Hyperbolic Phonon-Polaritons in Hexagonal Boron NitrideAlexander J Giles
U S Naval Research Laboratory, 4555 Overlook Avenue, S W, Washington, DC 20375, United States
Nano Lett 16:3858-65. 2016..We comment on potential applications of such shape-dependent resonances and the field concentration at the hot rings. ..
- Atomic-scale photonic hybrids for mid-infrared and terahertz nanophotonicsJoshua D Caldwell
US Naval Research Laboratory, 4555 Overlook Avenue SW, Washington DC 20375, USA
Nat Nanotechnol 11:9-15. 2016..These atomic-scale hybrids expand the toolkit of materials for mid-infrared to terahertz nanophotonics and could enable the creation of novel actively tunable, yet low-loss optics at the nanoscale...
- Sub-diffractional volume-confined polaritons in the natural hyperbolic material hexagonal boron nitrideJoshua D Caldwell
U S Naval Research Laboratory, 4555 Overlook Ave, S W, Washington, District of Columbia 20375, USA
Nat Commun 5:5221. 2014..These observations assert hexagonal boron nitride as a promising platform for studying novel regimes of light-matter interactions and nanophotonic device engineering. ..
- Chemical gradients on graphene to drive droplet motionSandra C Hernandez
NRC Postdoctoral Research Associateship Program, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC 20375, USA
ACS Nano 7:4746-55. 2013..Such tunability in surface chemistry provides additional capabilities in device design for applications ranging from microfluidics to chemical sensing. ..